89 Degrees Reviews | Glassdoor

Phil Hussey

"Great start!"

Current Employee - Marketer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at 89 Degrees full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am 3 months in and enjoying every minute of my time here at 89 Degrees. Yes, it's still technically the honeymoon period, but here's why I'm jazzed and optimistic about the future:

1) The executive team here is incredibly sharp, passionate about the business and our clients, always positive, and very accessible. The founders of the company are very active in the business and its great seeing them daily and having multiple opportunities to get their input on various projects. I wouldn't hesitate to knock on any of their doors to pick their brain. And even cooler, they are genuinely interested in your opinions/expertise, so collaboration is easy.

2) Great work/life balance. My manager appreciates the demands on working parents and made it clear early on that he trusted me to manage my workload and time as needed, which is huge as I try to tag-team with my wife so she doesn't have to always be the primary chauffeur shuttling the kids around. There's also no pressure to regularly stay late, which makes getting to the gym by 6:30 very doable.

3) Summer casual! We get to wear shorts. 'nuff said

Cons

No matching 401k yet. No real cons relative to other places I've worked. The company is great because the people here are great.

Advice to Management

Sponsor a Thirsty Thursday or trivia night offsite or do a free lunch on Fridays to encourage people to socialize a little more.

2. "Great Company to learn and grow your professional career here!"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Burlington, MA

I worked at 89 Degrees full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working for 89 Degrees for over two years and I've met so many talents here.

- You can learn stuff from the most people around you, especially from supervisors level people. It is good for the young professionals who needs to develop skills and gain valuable experiences.

- Fast paced working environment and wide exposure to a lot of fun projects.

- SAS Partnership so you can enjoy the free online training. Company will also reimburse your SAS exam fee if you'd like to pursue any certificate.

- Location and office environment are also the perks, at least to me

Cons

Small size company;
    No 401k matching

Advice to Management

Maintain the company scope and do not try to expand unnecessarily;
    Reward the extraordinary employees with more substantial benefits

"Hire and fire policy.. Pathetic place.. BIG NOOOO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at 89 Degrees full-time

Pros

some good people to work with..

Cons

* Company is just too volatile and no clear direction.
    * They have no significant quantity of work and counting on a very few clients. (Don't go by their website)
    * Lay off are so frequent. Lays off people in just few months of hiring.
    * Big NO for people on visas.
    * Benefits are pathetic

*Hire people and make them work as contractor so they dont have to pay extra. Once work is done, bye bye.

Advice to Management

You can't grow with this attitude... Change it for your own good..

"OK place to work until you find something else"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at 89 Degrees full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

89 Degrees is a good company to work for, especially for junior - mid level specialists, who need experience of working for an agency. It is a small organization and all your work gets high visibility by senior management.
    Lower - mid level employees are extremely friendly and eager to help.

Cons

Salaries are below average level for agencies.
    Health insurance as well as 401K are miserable.
    There is a huge turnover in the company and senior management doesn't care about it at all. It is interesting how easily they let people go and start looking for new candidates. Doesn't management understand that it is, first of all, money to hire and onboard new employees, and the second, that high turnover is not good in any meaning?
    Also the company is highly mismanaged.
    5 out of 10 employees are not happy with their job.

Advice to Management

Start thinking about the reasons of huge turnover in the company and start nurturing some corporate culture.

5. "Great place to work for in marketing analytics"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Analytics in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Analytics in Burlington, MA

I worked at 89 Degrees full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for if you are in marketing analytics and have a passion for specialty retail. The company has made two strategic hires in the past couple of years in VP of Analytics and VP of Product and together they are helping the company march forward in leveraging Big Data via a combination of SAS and Hadoop.

Cons

Adapting to an agency environment could be a problem for someone if they are not into problem solving and getting stuff done attitude.

Advice to Management

Do not lose focus of leading your way and differentiating yourself through analytics and technology.

6. "Great opportunity at small, impactful data-driven agency"

Former Employee - Account Management in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Burlington, MA

I worked at 89 Degrees full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gain great marketing experience at small MSP/engagement agency with extensive book of business. Hands on training (as you would imagine at any agency) but direct interaction with VP/Partner and senior level leaders.

Cons

Like all MSP/agencies, senior level leaders may tend to lack clear understanding of the day-to-day work and work- life balance can take a hit. But comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Balance the workforce...The company 2010-2013 tended to be top heavy with little mid-level, individual contributors to handle the bulk of the day-to-day. Hopefully this has been or is being addressed.

7. "Great Opportunities for Analytics Professionals."

I have been working at 89 Degrees full-time

Pros

• Best interview experience I ever had.
    • Great management.
    • Great staff.
    • Great benefits.
    • Great team environment.
    • Work is fast past and meaningful.
    • Visibility to the impact that your contributions make.

Cons

Currently no matching program for the 401k.

"Work for this company only if you are jobless and have 5 kids to feed"

I have been working at 89 Degrees full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great and friendly. International environment. No dress code. Have the opportunity to work on many different projects across all the industries.

Cons

Very low pay, no career advancement at all. They hire you because the turnover is so high and when they decide to let you go, they have 0 sympathy for you regarding your legal status. In 2016, the number of people being laid off or resigned is around 20, consider this company's size, you can tell how high the turnover rate is. If you are 'lucky' enough to get hired by 89, don't believe in any words about bonus or compensation(just do your research and read all the previous reviews on glassdoor).Trust me, this is the last company you want to work for.

"Stay away unless you are desparate"

I have been working at 89 Degrees full-time

Pros

You will get to meet some really hard working talents and wonder why the heck they work for this company.

Cons

Management doesn't bother to hire full time employees even though the work is merely for months, they will promptly let you go once the work is done. They are real smart that hiring contractors and making them work 14+ hours would be really expensive, instead, hire full time, get things done and promptly let them go.

Advice to Management

Read the comment in Cons. section and try to address it.

"Let the worker beware"

I worked at 89 Degrees full-time

Pros

- Non-management employees can be quite helpful and pleasant to work with.
    - SAS partner, allowing for access to SAS tools and training

Cons

- Compensation packages are blatantly deceptive. Be warned, the bonus does not pay out at anywhere near what they will promise you. Treat it as effectively 0%.
    - Most of Management is clueless and does not estimate task duration with any rationality, constantly agrees to scope creep, and does not staff projects adequately.
    - Projects sold are not worked on by the people that sell them.
    - Favoritism and subjective evaluations are rampant.
    - High Turnover (40% a year)
    - No 401K match
    - Hours are excessive (60+ a week is standard)
    - No opportunity to stay ahead of inflation. Raises are 1-2% a year, "promotion" raises are 5-7%.
    - Mistreatment of H1B workers - sub-par salaries and they know you are stuck with them and will take advantage of it to the fullest.
    - Teams are siloed and dysfunctional, with infighting and a lack of client focus.

Advice to Management

- What is the value proposition for an employee to work at your firm?
    - Consider why you have extremely high turnover and adjust.
    - Figure out why clients do not want to sign or renew with you.