8x8 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Vik Verma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company is growing and there is a great Fast Start program to on-board new employees" (in 16 reviews)

• "Lots of great people to work with at all levels of the organisation" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"This is not just a Company, it is a Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most important thing you need to know is that 8x8 has a very distinct culture. Introvert or Extrovert, Tech or Non-Tech, new in career or seasoned veteran, individual contributor or people manager, this is a fast paced, energized and very fluid environment. It is also a place where you can own your success and career path.

If you are driven, self motivated and able to navigate around issues, big and small, and have a fire in your belly to grow in your profession and career, you will do very well here. If you need an organized play book and a clear map of where you need to go and how to do it, you will most likely struggle.

This is a highly self aware and collaborative environment. Very few jerks (although every company has some, there seem to be a lot fewer here then other places I’ve worked) and some wicked smart people who actually take pride in their work and care about their contribution to the overall success of the Company. Our Leadership is present and as transparent as legally allowed :-)

This is not the place for everyone. But if you are up to the challenge, this is an amazing place and an incredible opportunity.

Cons

The can be ambiguity and as a 8x8 grows, it means that new systems, applications and processes are introduced. Some have better roll-outs and training than others. It's a lot of change so to call the environment dynamic would be an understatement. Not sure this is a con since this is all being done to help the Company grow and achieve a higher level of operational efficiency. It can be confusing and at times frustrating but the end result seems to be worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with the All Hands, QBRs, announcements and messaging. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture and to know about all of the 'wins' when you have your are so focused on your small part of the puzzle. This constant communication is motivating and essential to helping all of us keep our eye on the prize.

One of the Company Values is 'We Develop Our People'. I see a lot of people who are give great opportunities to grow, take on more responsibilities and get promoted. I don't see that there are good training and mentor programs though. This type of investment in people you are promoting is not just helpful for their success but has great pay off downstream. I know there is a lot to do as we continue to grow our product and customer base but I think this is worthy of the time and investment.

Most of all, don't muck with the Culture. This is a Fun, Engaging and Mentally Stimulating environment where everyone has the opportunity to contribute, grow and advance. Please don't lose sight of that as the Company grows and matures.

8x8 Response

Oct 30, 2018 – Recruiting Professional

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We are excited to hear you are enjoying your time here at 8x8. Your description of our culture is pretty much spot on. We definitely encourage a... More

"Exciting time to be at this market leader!"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment with lots of opportunity to impact a company out to transform a $50B market

Cons

The environment can be intense

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with and investing in the people

"Nice company"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time

Pros

growing company, flexibility to change and grow in roles

Cons

need to give better compensation

4. "Amazing Place To Work"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been working for this company awhile and they have amazing management.

Cons

There aren’t that many negatives, they even let you work from home!

"Great place to work and the best is yet to come!"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

8x8 has an amazing product and they are continually improving it. This is by far the most talented group of individuals I have had the privilege to work with during my 30+ years in the tech industry. Everyone is working together to make the product the best in it's space. Management is open and transparent with employees and moving things forward in the right direction.

Cons

Growing at such a fast pace can present challenges. Processes continue to evolve and it can be a struggle to keep up with the the changes rolling out. That is the price that comes with rapidly enhancing a product to make it the best on the market.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on product development. You have an amazing group of people. Continue to make them feel appreciated and continue with the transparency that you regularly practice.

"Great company to work for if you like fast paced environment and looking for learning & career growth opportunities."

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people to work for and with, hiring amazing talents, very good opportunity for learning new skills, technology and tools, good opportunity for fast career growth

Cons

hard to maintain work-life balance.

"Firing on all cylinders, alignment is getting better"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, extremely talented, across the organization. Most of my colleagues are down-to-earth, friendly and collaborative. Prima donnas tend to be short-lived at 8x8. I don't know how we managed to attract so many stars over the years (esp among Sales Engineers) since we were paying below market until about a year ago.

There is nowhere for this company to go but up. 8x8 is finally investing in growth, updating all of its back-office systems, and hiring more people. Departments that have historically been neglected are finally getting resourced. We are laying the groundwork and starting to get into position to scale. By this time next year, 8x8 could be a rocket ship.

Cons

Unless you are a member of the executive team, it can be difficult to keep track of what is going on in other departments and other offices. There has been a lot of turnover at all levels (some of it necessary), which means we are losing institutional knowledge, and we have a lot of people who are still ramping up.

It's hard to take apart a V6 engine, clean all the parts, and reassemble it while the car is still moving. I feel like employees at 8x8 have to do twice as much work as our competitors. Management does not always appreciate the day-to-day challenges. There has been a lot of progress in the past couple years, but we are still at a competitive disadvantage and not yet ready to scale.

Advice to Management

In the past, the company has tried too hard to be all things to all people. Our strategy was poorly defined, short-sighted, reactive and often driven by the sales opportunity du jour. We have started to change this behavior and are now more disciplined in choosing what initiatives to pursue and making sure we have alignment across functions. We need to continue this.

We also need to take a cold, hard look at ourselves, recognize our strengths and accept our weaknesses. We still have a short-sighted, "win at all costs" mentality, and this will continue to haunt us in the long run. We have to know when to walk away.

Our reputation is everything - while we need to grow and expand, we should not lose sight of what got us to where we are today (reliability, voice quality, etc.)

"On The Rise and Picking Up Steam"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company less than a year, but I have seen so much positive growth and change in that short amount of time. I personally love an atmosphere that keeps you on your toes. The transparency is refreshing and the culture is great. Everyone is very friendly and will just start of a conversation with you. You can tell there is true passion here.

Cons

As a general rule, change and a "fast paced" environment isn't everyone's cup of tea. But that is completely objective. I personally am very happy and no cons.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to continue to listen to your employees and let us have a say. As a very well-known CEO once said "It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do. Genius and profound."

9. "Developer"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time

Pros

Overall nice place to work

Cons

Benefits are not so good

10. "Higher Valuation Wishes and RingCentral Dreams"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HR seems to be doing a good job of having new hires submit positive Glassdoor reviews after wine and dining them at Vik's mansion. You should know that HR gives us templates to use.

Cons

-CEO has driven the company and culture into the ground. How can the BoD let a man who has killed the company culture and managed declining growth rates in a hot market continue as Dear Leader? Bring Bryan Martin back.
    -CMO is a ranging lunatic that does not have the skills required to execute her job. She constantly plays a shell game with MQL/SQLs - constantly redefining them on whim to show VIK that she is performing for him and that its sales fault for constantly missing quota. Her department has the highest turnover rate I've ever seen. She berates people in public, uses a subjective bonus structure, and is generally disliked by everyone.
    -CFO - why would the CFO want to step down to run Europe? Obviously Vik and the board are being too nice by letting her "Vest in Peace"
    -Sales Execs: some get it, some are inexperienced, some are just plane terrible.
    -Support: Try hard buy are generally understaffed and under trained on new releases.
    -Product: Roadmap sucks, 10 years behind the competition. They like to showcase this dirty snowball of cool technology but they actually can't put it together into a seamless product with a great UX. it's a bunch of buzz words at this point. Why launch a "new messaging" product a year after it was made available to customers? That desperate for new news before earnings? Probably.
    -Engineering: They can't deliver on time or with a quality product. Sad.

Advice to Management

To the BoD: Fire Vik Verma, please bring Bryan Martin back. Vik is a toxic leader that has made poor decision after poor decision. Why hasn't HR put their foot down on his favorite all hands catch phrase when talking about competition: "Kick them in the balls"... that's offensive, sexist, and shows very little class.