8x8 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 17, 2019

3.9
Vik Verma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company is growing and there is a great Fast Start program to on-board new employees" (in 16 reviews)

• "Lots of great people to work with at all levels of the organisation" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard to maintain work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains given the industry" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"This is not just a Company, it is a Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most important thing you need to know is that 8x8 has a very distinct culture. Introvert or Extrovert, Tech or Non-Tech, new in career or seasoned veteran, individual contributor or people manager, this is a fast paced, energized and very fluid environment. It is also a place where you can own your success and career path.

If you are driven, self motivated and able to navigate around issues, big and small, and have a fire in your belly to grow in your profession and career, you will do very well here. If you need an organized play book and a clear map of where you need to go and how to do it, you will most likely struggle.

This is a highly self aware and collaborative environment. Very few jerks (although every company has some, there seem to be a lot fewer here then other places I’ve worked) and some wicked smart people who actually take pride in their work and care about their contribution to the overall success of the Company. Our Leadership is present and as transparent as legally allowed :-)

This is not the place for everyone. But if you are up to the challenge, this is an amazing place and an incredible opportunity.

Cons

The can be ambiguity and as a 8x8 grows, it means that new systems, applications and processes are introduced. Some have better roll-outs and training than others. It's a lot of change so to call the environment dynamic would be an understatement. Not sure this is a con since this is all being done to help the Company grow and achieve a higher level of operational efficiency. It can be confusing and at times frustrating but the end result seems to be worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing with the All Hands, QBRs, announcements and messaging. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture and to know about all of the 'wins' when you have your are so focused on your small part of the puzzle. This constant communication is motivating and essential to helping all of us keep our eye on the prize.

One of the Company Values is 'We Develop Our People'. I see a lot of people who are give great opportunities to grow, take on more responsibilities and get promoted. I don't see that there are good training and mentor programs though. This type of investment in people you are promoting is not just helpful for their success but has great pay off downstream. I know there is a lot to do as we continue to grow our product and customer base but I think this is worthy of the time and investment.

Most of all, don't muck with the Culture. This is a Fun, Engaging and Mentally Stimulating environment where everyone has the opportunity to contribute, grow and advance. Please don't lose sight of that as the Company grows and matures.

8x8 Response

Oct 30, 2018 – Recruiting Professional

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We are excited to hear you are enjoying your time here at 8x8. Your description of our culture is pretty much spot on. We definitely encourage a... More

2. "This is the place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Culture, everyone is a stakeholder, everyone's input and opinion matters.
    Management encourages ideas and input from every level. Peers care about your success and offer guidance, everyone wants to win. Great Compensation and benefit package. Simply put, this is the place to be.

Cons

No Negative input, this really is a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Your approach motivates us to do our best every day and break rules that don't make sense.

"1 year review"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership. Manager is incredible. When Vik speaks to the company it is a highly motivated and in-depth talk. Products are coming along which means more offerings to the market. Teams work together really well with other teams.

This is the first company I have worked for where within the first year I haven't had a negative based talk with other employees regarding bad things here.
    Yes there is upheaval, yes there are some pain-points but that is to be expected with a company growing at the rate that we are.

Cons

Some high end managers do silo, but that is to be expected.
    Changes in the system moves a little too fast.

Advice to Management

Keep working to bring the company together.
    Continue with the positive messaging.
    Push back on insurance companies trying to screw us over.

4. "Support Enablement Program Manager"

Current Employee - Support Enablement Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Support Enablement Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work culture with great transparency and amazing employee engagement. 8x8 welcomes new ideas and embraces change which I think is a great trait for a company to keep growing

Cons

I don’t think there is any con worth mentioning here.

"Dumpster Fire Starts at the Top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at 8x8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pockets of really smart people who care.

Cons

1. Strategy changes as the wind blows or as a new "leader" is hired since the Exec Staff is a revolving door.
    2. 8x8 missed one of the greatest bull markets over the past 2 years...can't have success when leadership isn't aligned.
    3. Zero incentive for middle management to voice concerns or recommend ideas to solve systemic problems. You speak up, you get fired.
    4. Marketing, Sales and Channel Leadership has no idea what they are doing. This is a consistent theme from current and former employees along with business partners.
    5. If growing revenue and 25% YOY growth is the goal (as stated in the earnings calls), you don't have the right people running the company in critical departments to achieve those targets.

Advice to Management

As stated above, management doesn't listen to advice unless it's from a fellow narcissist with an ivy league degree.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has good culture and is trying to improve benefits
    Good technology and learning opportunities. Smart management, colorful office. Feels good to work at office. People are friendly and nice. Mostly young crowd with fresh approach. Focused on goals and output. Free lunch on Wednesday, free snacks every day, games for relaxation.

Cons

Overall its a great company but some teams with bad work life balance and controlling nature do exist, slow growth

Advice to Management

Please ensure each individual gets what he deserves irrespective of the team and all have same rules in terms of flexibility.

"Former employee"

I worked at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accessibility to senior executives
    Wed lunches

Cons

Lack of innovation
    Toxic Marketing leadership
    Unhappy customers

Advice to Management

Replace current CMO, Rani Hublou who doesn’t understand the cloud communications market with an industry leader who has delivered on lead-gen at other mid-sized SaaS companies. Rani is a toxic, self-centered, egotistical executive to work with. Her toxicity is ruining morale and whatever is left of the culture at 8x8. She hires smart people but then shuts them off. Her meetings are monologues of her talking the whole time. Never listens to what other smart people have to say. Her direct reports emulate the same toxic style, further damaging morale within the Marketing team. It’s a nightmare to work in the 8x8 marketing team if you are smart, talented, have a lot to offer AND have self-respect.

"Former Employee"

I worked at 8x8 (More than a year)

Pros

I am disappointed to say there are really none.

Cons

There are too many. Employees are severely micro managed. Decisions are made for the company with not what is good for the company and investors. Employees in general have no support from corporate because of the in fighting up there. No morals or good values.

Advice to Management

If you continue this trend and do not make a change at the top management you are going to loose all good employees, and many havd left.

"8x8 is a solid place to work with a bright future"

Current Employee - Staffing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of change in a positive direction with Exec buy-in. Focus on technology and personnel improvements. Major growth while maintaining small company feel. Great team. New improved benefits offerings, faster stock vesting timeline exciting new comp plans, etc. Ability to add value in our change and growth

Cons

With growth comes growing pains. Not all systems and processes are nailed down, but this creates opportunity for those who have drive and passion to succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees like you do.

"Big Opportunity"

I have been working at 8x8 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a massive opportunity in front of 8x8 and most of the team understands, certainly Sr. Leadership, Sales, Channel, etc. The GTM is strong but could use some modifications. The technology is solid and stands with any provider. If organization continues to evolve from a "telco" to a SaaS company we will win.

Cons

Marketing needs some work from a creative perspective, Funnel and Pipeline need a lot of work. Love to Channel needs to continue. Those in CS and PS need to become more Customer Centric.

Advice to Management

Work to keep good employees. Keep focused on Channel. Work hard on "being easy to do business with" which means continue to improve CS, PS and Implementation Services. Improve internal process. We have enough training.