95 Percent Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 11 reviews

2.6
95 Percent Group CEO Susan L. Hall
Susan L. Hall
  1. "Great place to work and grow"

I have been working at 95 Percent Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual friendly atmosphere Great benefits package Constant learning and personal growth

Cons

Not enough of career opportunities but it is a small growing business

95 Percent Group2019-03-17

"Concerned"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at 95 Percent Group full-time

Pros

Some good people in the company Company has a good mission

Cons

High turnover of employees - it appears that many are fired I don't feel secure in my job Owner isn't honest with people - says what she wants you to hear We are always told that certain things are going to happen, then they don't Constantly changing expectations Other employees complain about the company, but won't "rock the boat" by telling management

Advice to Management

Question yourself about what happens in our company. Take some responsibility.

95 Percent Group2017-11-16

"Stagnant and Stifling"

I worked at 95 Percent Group

Pros

Mission of the company is solid. Nice office furnishings and building.

Cons

Poorly run: Little to no investment made to grow/advance employees' roles and to promote longevity at the company. Employees aren't encouraged to take classes/seminars/etc. for professional development. They aren't rewarded accordingly for hard work and dedication. Owners seem to want to get the most out of their employees with the smallest amount of investment. No programs in place to retain employees so turn... over is high. Interpersonal communication in the office is highly discouraged -- which is a shame since team collaboration can be very vital and fruitful to an organization. Not a good management structure - the company tries to operate like a larger coporation with doesn't work in a company consisting of 30 or less employees. No HR department or representation in place. Too many in "upper management" -- the weekly staff meetings would include most of the company to the point that it seemed impractical not to include the 5 remaining people. Too much reliance on outsourcing or using contractors to do key jobs.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and invest in your staff -- they are the future and lifeblood of your organization.

95 Percent Group2016-08-27

"Mission-driven company"

I have been working at 95 Percent Group full-time

Pros

I enjoy working at a company that has a powerful mission - helping children learn to read. The company is growing fast. Co-workers are awesome. I have a good work/life balance.

Cons

Owners have extremely high expectations of their employees and you need to bring your A game every day.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring quality committed employees who share a passion for literacy.

95 Percent Group2016-05-23

"Do not risk your career"

I have been working at 95 Percent Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are hard working and nice. They feel demoralized, so there is a bond among them.

Cons

So happy to see people are finally able to speak out against this company. It was absolutely the worst place to work in my career. The president has very poor management skills, although she will tell you she went to Harvard School of Business back in the 80s. She does not know how to inspire people and manages through threats and fear. Do not risk your mental health to work for a person like this. People are... very unhappy there. They are always looking over their shoulder because of the mistrust.

Advice to Management

Think about how it may be to work in such an oppressive environment. You have lost perspective on how it feels to work for people and for people who treat you badly. You will someday learn that this the Achilles heal of your company.

95 Percent Group2016-03-04

"Horrible experience"

I worked at 95 Percent Group

Pros

It feels good to know you are indirectly helping kids read. Products for the most part are good.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for staff and president and owner is demeaning. Focus is in churning products in a way that is not best practices for any real publisher. President cannot take feedback. Do kot trust her ever.

Advice to Management

Maybe it is time to sell. Your workers do not like you even if you do not understand or care to understand. Let someone with very current and successful management experience run the company.

95 Percent Group2016-01-23

"Worst job ever"

I worked at 95 Percent Group

Pros

There are hard working people and good camaraderie, mostly because employees need each other to survive the work environment.

Cons

Out every job I have ever had this was not just a bad job, but one of the worst experiences of my life. If you doubt the reviews you see here, just find a former employee on LinkedIn for their opinion. Current employees will be too scared to voice any opinion. The owner and president displays no conscience in the way she treats people. She has two different personalities. Her dark side casts a shadow on everyone... who has worked for her. She fires people on a whim--if they know more than she does or if they disagree with her. Her arrogance is her weakness and will be the downfall of the company. She and her husband make millions and go to the Cayman Islands to vacation, while turning down a request for a 25 cent raise for people. Don't be fooled by the way she displays herself at workshops or in interviews. This opportunity of using glassdoor is way to be "mean" but to finally feel heard and to hopefully save someone from putting their career in jeopardy, putting themselves in financial risk, or working through mental turmoil that can take years to get over. Former employees do not have good things to say about their experience-- due to the owner.

Advice to Management

You are dismissing these reviews as from your "bad apples"-- as you say in the review you actually posted. But you know your own dark side. You know what you have done. You know how you have lied. There is evidence. There are people you have severely hurt in ways you would never wish on your own children. You will never learn and people will continue to leave or you will fire them, and you will keep wondering why... the staff turns over. Realize your company is not about making a profit for yourself, but is supposed to be a place for people to spend the vast majority of their days and you should feel some sense of ethical obligation to honest and decent and act with integrity.

95 Percent Group2016-01-15

"Exciting Times"

I have been working at 95 Percent Group

Pros

I enjoy being part of an organization where expert guidance from management, teamwork, commitment, and passion all join to match the pace of rapid (and exciting!) growth. I enjoy rising to the challenge and upping my game to do my share of the workload necessary to support the growth of a company that is truly about changing the lives of children. What we do is important and the work is not always easy, for sure. ... I would not expect it to be. I am proud to give my 110% every single day and can think of no place I'd rather work.

Cons

Interestingly enough, the pros can become cons when not all members of the team share the same level of commitment and willingness to produce. It is frustrating see people attempt to coast when what we do is so important.

Advice to Management

Continue rewarding and supporting the staff working so hard to help you realize your dreams and goals for this company.

95 Percent Group2015-11-25

"Bright future"

I have been working at 95 Percent Group

Pros

Current team has a strong positive outlook, now that all the bad apples have left. We are the future.

Cons

Like all firms large and small, there is always room for improvement. We need to continue to push forward as a united team without distractions.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the mission.

95 Percent Group2015-11-14

"Nightmare"

I worked at 95 Percent Group

Pros

There really are no pros. The only positive review you will see on this site was clearly written by the owners. My time there was made tolerable only because of the wonderful co-workers. Misery loves company.

Cons

Pay was sub-par. Autocratic management stye stifles employees. High turnover rate is due to many employees finally breaking free and others (many others) fired at the whim of the owners.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Stop treating them like children who must be watched and scolded. The company would best be run by a new CEO who knows how to manage a small business, retain employees, and generate/increase revenues. Owners should relegate themselves to quarterly board meetings.

95 Percent Group2015-11-15