Aéropostale Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aéropostale CEO Julian Geiger
Julian Geiger

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is tough, hours can sometimes be hard to handle (in 46 reviews)

• Didn't get enough hours and was payed the minimum wage 7 (in 67 reviews)

1. "Aeropostale manager."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great relationship with seasonal and core associates. Great relationship with store manager and District manager.

Cons

The pay really sucks and they make you
    jump through hoops to get a few cents raise. Scheduling kinda sucks. Always working weekends. And flip flop scheduling.

2. "Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Aéropostale (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours were great because it gave me the freedom to work in the morning and still have the nights to myself.

Cons

False Advertising, I was brought on and was told after three months that I would replace the manager going out on maternity leave and that never happened.

Advice to Management

Hire competent workers who are not just high school kids who do not know any better and just slack off all day long.

3. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Suppose it is friendly and upbeat environment.

Cons

- Bad pay (minimum wage)
    - LOW hours (literally worked four hours a week)
    - Favoritism

5. "Awful,childish management at Aeropostale"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Elizabeth, NJ

Pros

There are no pros that job sucked

Cons

The managers at Aero don't know how to manage at all.They shift the same people every day when they hire over 80 kids to work there and they give limited to barely any hours and are quick to cut shifts

6. "Put out the music and turn off the lights..."

I worked at Aéropostale full-time

Pros

For a while there (way back when) we were opening up new stores and markets like no tomorrow and the money for a multi store manager on a higher level was really really good...we were one of the hottest businesses and stocks on the market...like real rock stars there for a while:)...

Cons

It was always there...deeply troubling...at least to me, as I was right in the middle of it when it was happening and things were great. But it was there...lundeniable...like a cancer that you just knew was eventually going to be terminal. This arrogance. Always everything was just so great...so right...even when it wasn't. Political. Cliquey. Like a High School lunchroom. Yes yes yes girls errr men. No guts to call it out when it was wrong and if you did...oh boy did everyone get soooo upset. I tried to warn them...They didn't like it. The culture was intolerant of a little rocking of the boat...oh boy...did that ever shake them up. No one would speak to you ever again. No one challenged anything...bad politics...you see. The important thing was that everyone always get along...agreeing and bonding and playing nice in the sandbox. But that was the trouble. The same ingrown leaders even as they died...the same blind loyalty to the same old yes people. When they really needed to see...when they really needed that shake...they just couldn't do it. Rest in peace Aero nation...it was a nice ride...for a while there.

Advice to Management

Learn from Aero...stay humble...stay restless...push the envelope...dare to be non political...step on some toes a little once in a while...appreciate those with the guts who do...push them forward not down...their courage will save you someday.

7. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bloomingdale, IL

Pros

Pay was decent but that's about it

Cons

Manager played favorites
    Part time employees paid poorly
    Not enough staff to clean up store, stayed late
    Mall hours

Advice to Management

Give your part time employees fair pay and hours and don't play favorites

8. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkersburg, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parkersburg, WV

I worked at Aéropostale (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company offers good employee discounts

Cons

Wages, never see any raises... Communication does not exist between team members

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate and remember the customer is why you are there

9. "Unfair"

Former Employee - Sales Lead/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Lead/Keyholder

I worked at Aéropostale part-time

Pros

They provided me with a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Even though I was considered a "part-time" sales lead / key holder, I was usually scheduled 7 days a week with a day off maybe every other week. The managers made sure that my weekly hours were never above 39.99 hours. The company is in too bad of condition financially to even consider making me full-time with benefits. They took advantage of my willingness to work despite not being compensated fairly as a full-time employee. I usually either worked 9-5 or 1-10, but never had a consistent schedule every week. I was unable to have an enjoyable life outside of work. I rarely got a day off on the weekends, but the managers had days off every weekend. I always had to close on weekends. I could go on and on. It felt like indentured servitude.

Advice to Management

Please be courteous with the scheduling of your employees. Please do not take advantage of someone who will work 39.99 hours 7 days a week as a part-time employee that receives no benefits other than a small paycheck every two weeks just because they actually know how to work. Too many kids these days do not want to work or know how to. You need to fire the employees that are leeches and fairly pay the ones who take up their slack.

"Once Great, Now Unraveled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This was once a great organization to work for - once full of talented people and tremendous opportunity. The culture really was something special as people at all levels of the organization really did have a lot of heart. As the business became more difficult, the flight of talent accelerated and the senior leadership became less and less empathetic to the rank and file. Gone was the spirit of camaraderie.

Cons

As business failed, operations began contracting and opportunity became nonexistent. It is my experience that senior leadership failed to communicate a clear, coherent strategy to deal with the waning demand for the brand, and in the absence of any new sweeping vision, they seemed to rely on an unfortunate series of trivial and low impact quick fixes. For all the potential the brand once had, senior leadership did not truly do the organization justice. As a result, the brand is now a shell of its former self and struggling to retain any last shreds of relevance in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

It's my opinion that anything short of wholesale changes at the top will not significantly impact the future of the business. That means new leadership to chart a new course and hopefully rebuild this once great organization.

11. "Good First Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training. Great place to gain retail experience.

Cons

Managers were overbearing and demanding. There was an atmosphere of fear between management and sales associates.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some freedom. Let them explore the methods that work best for them.

Showing 101 of 1,304 reviews