Aéropostale Reviews | Glassdoor

1,312 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,312 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is tough, hours can sometimes be hard to handle (in 46 reviews)

• Didn't get enough hours and was payed the minimum wage 7 (in 67 reviews)

1. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are extremely nice. It's a great work environment. It's not a hard job to do. Training is easy. Overall pretty nice job.

Cons

Sometimes the customers are hard to deal with, but that is pretty common with retail jobs. It is also tiring standing all day.

Advice to Management

There could be more bonding with the employees to create a warmer work environment. They do a great job though.

2. "Pretty cool"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discounts are great. The people you meet make it all worth it.

Cons

Training was long, tiring, and dreadful. Gave bad hours.

Advice to Management

Make sure you motivate your employees. Don't choose favorites,

3. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Genessee, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Genessee, LA

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are nice people to work with

Cons

They don't train people the right way

Advice to Management

Get a better team

5. "Assistant at Aeropostale"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great and fun environment with fantastic discounts and bonus opportunities. The people i worked with were fabulous (at both locations that i worked) and the responsibilities were always tackled with a team effort. Very family oriented.

Cons

Sometimes the work load would be a little much and our payroll wouldn't allow for proper coverage of the store.

Advice to Management

Tag team difficult tasks, and monitor payroll to ensure proper store coverage is always available.

6. "Its gets better over time but.."

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Aéropostale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

•Seniority
        -Working at Aéropostale for a year now, they care most about those who stay here the longest, which are usually the hardest working ones. Get into that club and It's smooth sailing
    •Contests
         -You can actually make a good amount of money for the store by winning some contest like, "Who can sell the most Pants?" (They make a $1,000,000, and we get $100, ahh yeah)
    •Co-workers
       -If it wasnt for such a great support system, I would've done quit. Managers usually ask you to ask your friends to apply, so sooner or later your entire friend group works here and its heaven for the most part. Your friends will help your get your shifts covered, they got your back and you got theirs.
    •Management
        -There's always a gem in the rocks, you never know how great your Aéropostale manager can be until you've gotten a new one. Most don't care and just fly by, basically making you less stress out about your job.
    •Benefits of excelling
         -If you work hard, the managers will notice it, and you might become an Aéropostale Ambassador!!! Which basically means, you're one of the leaders for Aéropostale, you'll get more work for the same pay! The benefit? Besides the title, you get 40% percent off everything besidesthe usual 30% off. In the long run, this could really, "PAY," off. lol.
           -You may also get promoted which pays allot more.

I honestly love this place, It can be challenging but It's an amazing first job. I never thought I could fall in love with a company until I came here. Also, for some events, you get a FREE T-shirt!!

Cons

• Low Hours based Favoritism/Seniority
         -Basically if you can't sell or you're not good at tasking, you get cut on the bare hours you get anyways. Seniors of the company usually get more hours because, "we deserve it."
    •Pay varies on store
         -I get paid $8.50 but somewhere else I would've gotten paid $8.
    •Management Changes too often
        -In the year that I've worked at Aéropostale, I've had 3 store managers and 8 Assistant managers.
    •The amount of Labour
       -If you get paid below $8, It's time to quit, here's a daily schedule for a 4-6 hour shift.
             *Clock in
             *Put on Lanyard and Headset (Hope for no more keys)
             * Touchbase with Manager (Goals for the day, deal updates, etc.)
             *He/She will give you a section to help (If you have seniority you may be able to just choose whatever section you want like me)
             *You stay there until you have to become flexible and help out all around once another sales associate leaves
             * There's bascially little hours so you may have to haul some booty to straighten up the clothes, ring up the line of customers, open fitting rooms, work on go backs, and help customers. "The priority is always customers," which is an excuse to always assit the customer on whatever she/he wants. Pray for some help, which you regularly don't get from the managers on their phone or what they like to call it, "Filling up merchandise."
                *If you close*** you must straighten up an entire destroyed store, finish on the mountain of go backs, swiffer the dusty floors, wipe the layers of finger prints people leave on mirrors, bag up the smelly trash the last closer didnt do, and then after your legs are on the verge of breaking, lug the trash bag to the dump on the other side of your mall or plaza. All of this while your crappy manager counts the pennys and nickels. good luck with you're $8 dollar an hour self. oh, and you have to finish by 10:30pm.

Advice to Management

Easy 5 steps
    1)Do your job
    2)Help the sales out
    3)Stop going on your phone
    4)Dontyell at sales
    5)Dont yell at customers either, they are the reason we are still open

7. "Starter Job"

Former Employee - Allocator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Allocator in New York, NY

I worked at Aéropostale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is casual. The people are great, especially those that decided to stick around.

Cons

Tough business, long hours, bad product, no career growth opportunities for entry-level roles, low salary.

Advice to Management

Use employee input. You hired whom you hired for a reason, trust their intuition and skills.

8. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great coworkers, great management, really care about sales

Cons

little hours, lots of recovery

9. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Killingworth, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Killingworth, CT

I worked at Aéropostale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice customer base, decent employee discount

Cons

Terrible management; rude when instructing employees, revised schedules mid-week, many last minute decisions

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and get cameras for every store

10. "Good high school student job"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at Aéropostale (Less than a year)

Pros

Young worker at the time. Good mall job. Flexible shifts.

Cons

Not many hours for sales associates.

Advice to Management

Cool team at Franklin Mills!

11. "Manage day to day operations , and development of staff"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compassionate staff, atmosphere, role models , pricing , merchandise , ability to train and develop your management team and role models

Cons

Depending on the store situation you may have to work more than 45 hours in a given week . Typical work week is 45 hours .

Advice to Management

Very fun place to work ! People are great and Aeropostale strives for the best

Showing 1,312 of 1,327 reviews