A.C. Moore Reviews | Glassdoor

A.C. Moore Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2019

2.8
A.C. Moore CEO Pepe Piperno (no image)
Pepe Piperno
Pros
  • "Also, if you enjoy arts and crafts, there are many rewards benefits as well as an employee discount(in 52 reviews)

• "the empoyee discount (even though some days they'd give customers coupons that were equal to our discount anyway)(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, micromanaging upper management, small room to advance unless hired at the right time(in 24 reviews)

• "A lot of people get upset about coupons (but it's all there in fine print- they just don't read)(in 17 reviews)

"Front End Specialist"

Former Employee - Front End Specialist

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, above minimum wage for a simple retail job. Usually easy work, sometimes the store get's busy or is understaffed because of corporate hour cuts. Flexible hours usually.

Cons

Coworkers are a mixed bag. Some of them are great, some of them can barely function and do every task as slowly as possible to keep from having to do more work. Managers usually don't see this cause they are in the office or busy with their own tasks. Some managers cannot handle difficult situations. When the store says basically only managers can say no. Sometimes managers refuse to either come up because they... are busy in the office or cannot handle the situation leaving you between an angry customer and a lacking manger. If you do good work you have to do more. The only reward for working hard and well is getting to do more work. Managers will put hard workers with the lazy people so enough gets done.

Advice to Management

Listen to Front end Specialists about what's going on on the floor. They spend a lot of time directly interacting with customers and coworkers.

A.C. Moore2018-05-19
  2. "Okay"

Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor in Shrewsbury, NJ

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

2 weeks vacation time not much else

Cons

None, company has no long term plans

A.C. Moore2019-10-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Do everything the GM does"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Woburn, MA

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always busy time goes by quick

Cons

Good work gets no reward lazy people get no consequence. No motivation to do well and no incentives.

A.C. Moore2019-10-17

"I like what I do, and the people I work with, but the pay is terrible for the workload."

I have been working at A.C. Moore

Pros

I love getting 20% extra off on craft supplies and various things at the store. The people I work with are very friendly and it’s a good overall vibe for the most part. The work is pretty mindless, I have some creative control through custom framing, and I get pretty consistent 28-33 hour weeks, with two days off.

Cons

I was never told my pay rate, or where to find that information. Corporate pushes unrealistic expectations for “total package designs” in an area that really struggles to hit our goals. Petty drama-usually among younger employees- but generally harmless. Framers are expected to do associate work, plus manage frame shop, and clean bathrooms. I thought I would actually be involved in the construction of custom frames,... but it’s just choosing the design. Always a few coworkers cycling through who don’t care about the quality of their work..

Advice to Management

Custom framing needs to update and expand in house services if it is going to succeed, and if not, offer more affordable options. A management position does not exempt you from associate-level work; it is an added responsibility.

A.C. Moore2019-08-03
  6. "Good starter job but not all that great"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Bowie, MD

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy job good discounts

Cons

bad management not good enough pay

A.C. Moore2019-07-22
  7. "Not Great, Not Bad Either"

Former Employee - Front End Specialist

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than a year

Pros

- friendly work environment - clear goals

Cons

- no opportunity for raise (even after a year of employment)

A.C. Moore2019-07-10

"Needs Work to Keep Afloat"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family-like environment Employee discount Connected with art community

Cons

No advancement Poor benefits Upper management Sometimes there's no flexibility Schedule Health insurance is not that great feels like a downgrade

Advice to Management

Being a former merchandising supervisor, I can tell that the company needs some serious work to keep up with the competition. Micromanaging is not going to fix any of this. Yes the stores need to look presentable for customers but other places are lacking (there needs some serious remodeling in most stores and that includes buying next modern fixtures). You need to offer more to customers and expand a little bit... more. Trends are so behind. Coupons and rewards are a great incentive but there needs to be more than just shopping to drive people in. My specific store had only one class to offer once a month. You need to inspire young artist and maybe support local communities or get an art competition going. Or invest some money for an after-school kids program. Connect to the community. As far as employees go, you need to offer better benefits. Other companies are a pleasure to work with because employees feel safe and feel like the company cares for them. My impression of our high turnover rate was because upper management saw associates as easily replaceable. There were many flexible people who did not get the treatment they deserved. Super understaffed. This is a headache not only to other associates but to management. Cutting hours is going to cut your intake. Data analysis is lacking. Hire a good data analysis who can tell you rising trends, peak hours, and can help you better cut cost on other areas. Also I am changing the location of where I actually worked because I have been vocal about how horrible working conditions are and also because I loved the people I worked with (specific store is in the same region). Disliked the general manager. He is out of touch with the job market and demands too much for no reward. No flexibility with students and shows obvious preference on specific employee(s). Well, he is out of touch with most of the real world. Needs to retire asap! The new regional manager and the vice president were actually a pleasure to work. I have seen them sit down with associates and interact with them. Great place to shop at; horrible place to work at. It's just structural nothing personal. I have made life time friends here.

A.C. Moore2019-07-17
  9. "Custom Framer"

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Columbia, SC

I worked at A.C. Moore part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of hours available in other areas of store if you wanted them.

Cons

Full time position was not available even when you worked full time hours.

A.C. Moore2019-06-27

"AC Moore"

Former Employee - Associate Buyer

I worked at A.C. Moore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Local corporate business, interesting merchandise and good prices

Cons

Corporate office is very stressful place to work. High turnover. People there are not happy

Advice to Management

Corporate management is an "Old Boys Club" Someone needs to realize this before its too late

A.C. Moore2019-06-26
  11. "Meh"

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at A.C. Moore full-time for more than a year

Pros

overtime opportunities during busy season

Cons

pay is not always worth the drama

A.C. Moore2019-06-10