A. O. Smith Network Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

A. O. Smith Network Engineer Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2018

Found 2 reviews

3.5
A. O. Smith CEO Ajita G. Rajendra  (no image)
Ajita G. Rajendra

"Good Employer But Not Without Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Ashland City, TN

I worked at A. O. Smith full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was fortunate to work at A.O. Smith. The company has a great culture with good benefits & pay. Their IT has recently been centralized to a single location (before every location had its own IT staff). With that, if you have a good relationship with management, you will likely be able to be a part of that molding process to pave the way for A.O. Smith's future. Work/life balance is decent.

Cons

With the centralized IT that I mentioned in the Pros section, there are some also Cons to it. Because the IT has been recently centralized, they are working out many, many kinks that should be have been in place for a multi-billion dollar, publicly traded company. Processes/procedures/policies are a continual work-in-progress. The tools that are a typical IT standard are non-existent due to the frugal mentality... of the IT budget. This causes IT employees to work harder, not smarter. Suggestions/improvements are often disregarded either due to budget and/or your reputation with management. With that said, it is apparent that management treats employees very differently based on their opinion of them. The bottom line is if you get in good with management, then you have it made here.

Advice to Management

I quote the former CEO of Dollar General, Cal Turner Jr. I believe this applies to ALL companies and is one of the keys to success. In referencing his father and the start of Dollar General: "He was a hard worker with great common sense, but he assumed for the rest of his life that everybody he met was smarter than he was and that he could learn something from everyone. That became part of my leadership style. I... was the boss’s son—I was always aware there was a “Junior” at the end of my name. People would assume I had more knowledge and power than I actually had. I let them know from the beginning that I needed their help, their input, their knowledge and experience. “Bossism” was never my style. I wanted us to empower everyone from the boardroom to the newest store to be part of making ours a better company, one that was always striving to give the best value to our customers." With this, I end this review with some simple statements of my own. "I was fortunate enough to be on the good side of everyone. I got a lot of praise for the work I accomplished but at the same time, I saw how others were treated. Regardless of your relationship with an employee, realize they are your greatest asset. Whether not you agree, at least listen to what they have to say. It may surprise you."

A. O. Smith2018-06-19
  2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is fair. Family/work life is very balanced.

Cons

Management doesn't have any experience in the field I work in. Company expects you to pay for travel and get reimbursed.

A. O. Smith2018-06-01