A. O. Smith Reviews | Glassdoor

A. O. Smith Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2019

Found 102 reviews

3.7
A. O. Smith CEO Ajita G. Rajendra  (no image)
Ajita G. Rajendra
  1. "Great company with top notch management"

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time

Pros

Good management from top to bottom. Senior management is very approachable, and they actually listen to their employees. People are promoted based on ability. Decent benefits. Very ethical company that does the right thing even if it costs them money. Offers tuition reimbursement for employees, and scholarships for their children. Company is profitable and growing.

Cons

Some growing pains and policy issues related to standardizing policies and practices among all of the divisions, since most were stand-alone companies that were purchased. Hours can be long during busy periods. Pay is average at best.

Advice to Management

Deal with problem employees with the policies that are already in place. Don't institute company wide policies to deal with problems with a few employees or problems at one division. Review the pay scales to prevent good people from leaving for more pay.

A. O. Smith2018-08-25

"AO Smith Penitentiary"

Current Employee - Employee in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are none. Company sucks and so does management. They write you up for any and everything.

Cons

They treat you like an inmate. They do not care about their employees and never will.

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate office : Fire the idiot management and start over, they suck.

A. O. Smith2018-08-23

"Good Employer But Not Without Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Ashland City, TN

I worked at A. O. Smith full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was fortunate to work at A.O. Smith. The company has a great culture with good benefits & pay. Their IT has recently been centralized to a single location (before every location had its own IT staff). With that, if you have a good relationship with management, you will likely be able to be a part of that molding process to pave the way for A.O. Smith's future. Work/life balance is decent.

Cons

With the centralized IT that I mentioned in the Pros section, there are some also Cons to it. Because the IT has been recently centralized, they are working out many, many kinks that should be have been in place for a multi-billion dollar, publicly traded company. Processes/procedures/policies are a continual work-in-progress. The tools that are a typical IT standard are non-existent due to the frugal mentality... of the IT budget. This causes IT employees to work harder, not smarter. Suggestions/improvements are often disregarded either due to budget and/or your reputation with management. With that said, it is apparent that management treats employees very differently based on their opinion of them. The bottom line is if you get in good with management, then you have it made here.

Advice to Management

I quote the former CEO of Dollar General, Cal Turner Jr. I believe this applies to ALL companies and is one of the keys to success. In referencing his father and the start of Dollar General: "He was a hard worker with great common sense, but he assumed for the rest of his life that everybody he met was smarter than he was and that he could learn something from everyone. That became part of my leadership style. I... was the boss’s son—I was always aware there was a “Junior” at the end of my name. People would assume I had more knowledge and power than I actually had. I let them know from the beginning that I needed their help, their input, their knowledge and experience. “Bossism” was never my style. I wanted us to empower everyone from the boardroom to the newest store to be part of making ours a better company, one that was always striving to give the best value to our customers." With this, I end this review with some simple statements of my own. "I was fortunate enough to be on the good side of everyone. I got a lot of praise for the work I accomplished but at the same time, I saw how others were treated. Regardless of your relationship with an employee, realize they are your greatest asset. Whether not you agree, at least listen to what they have to say. It may surprise you."

A. O. Smith2018-06-19

"My experience"

Current Employee - Production Line Worker in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good. Set shifts. Benefits are good.

Cons

Very hot in summer time, Cold in winter. Hard to change positions within the company.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to the one's who work hard and would like to advance.

A. O. Smith2018-06-09
  5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is fair. Family/work life is very balanced.

Cons

Management doesn't have any experience in the field I work in. Company expects you to pay for travel and get reimbursed.

A. O. Smith2018-06-01
  6. "Bring a water bottle"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Ashland City, TN

I worked at A. O. Smith full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, good room for growth

Cons

Very HOT! Works Weekends intimidating plant floor

Advice to Management

AC, more fans?

A. O. Smith2018-05-07

"It’s a good job, just repetition."

Current Employee - Production Worker in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good. The benefits are descent. You get a break every hour. They buy your steel toe shoes each year, or give you $100 toward shoes.

Cons

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Sounds silly but they have too many managers or lead people with nothing to do and not enough people to actually do the work. Communication is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Communicate with one another!

A. O. Smith2018-04-29
  8. "Good pay for no experience or degree"

Tank Fabrication in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith

Pros

Weekends off most of the year, opportunities for overtime and 80 hrs of vacation time for full time employees and that increases to 120 after 5 yrs

Cons

Hot in the summertime, the hours seem to drop off in late summer and fall and a lot of time off around christmas and new years

A. O. Smith2018-05-01

"Definitely worth the pay"

Current Employee - Tank Tester in Ashland City, TN

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bill paying job with Saturday and Sunday off. Once you roll over from temporary worker with a company like Aerotek, you get all the full time benefits from day one. Paid Holidays, vacation time, health insurance. If I had known it was this decent I would have started working here a long time ago

Cons

Honestly the only downside to this place is it gets hot. But it definitely beats the other 9$ an hour crap jobs

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

A. O. Smith2018-03-19
  10. "Assembly Journeyman"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at A. O. Smith full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall can be a good company

Cons

Upper management decisions questionable some of the time.

Advice to Management

To much to list here

A. O. Smith2018-03-12