A Place for Mom Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

2.7
A Place for Mom CEO Larry Kutscher
Larry Kutscher
Pros
  • "Work from home; great incentive trips; ability to help families(in 98 reviews)

• "Helping families find solutions for their loved one's(in 61 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Training, Support & Leadership"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Three weeks of in dept training and ongoing training provided. Amazing Support and Leadership. Great values and teamwork atmosphere. Wonderful benefits.

Cons

Nothing to say here, no cons!

A Place for Mom Response

September 18, 2019A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you so much for sharing. We appreciate the feedback and are happy to have you on the team supporting our Senior Living Advisors!

2. "Great Sales Role with a Great Mission"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to earn uncapped income with a noble mission. Many sales roles either offer you a great income selling something without a great purpose, or a great purpose without a great income, but this offers both!

Cons

It takes time to figure out how to balance working from home, but it can be done effectively

"On a Downward Trajectory"

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good co-workers who care about each other and their work.

Cons

Constant changes in management and policy without warning. Executive-level leadership has little connection or empathy with those working below them. Terrible CEO who has shattered all trust between day-to-day employees and leadership.

Continue reading
  4. "I really love what I do and this Company!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working from home, helping families and building relationships with communities

Cons

It is hard not to feel emotionally attached to families.

5. "It was fine"

Former Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, cool office in Settle

Cons

Super boring job, not fulfilling

6. "I LOVE Working For This Amazing Company With A Great Mission."

Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Each day I wake up excited to come to work. It feels more like a family than co-workers. I strongly believe in what we do and feel blessed to help so many families navigate through really tough decisions. APFM does a wonderful job at making me feel supported and showing appreciation for the work I do and have done.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge (as is in any sales job), but APFM does a great job at helping to support that.

"‘Greed is good’"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked here for many years and was very happy. Pay is fair, fairly flexible hours.

Cons

The CEO furloughed hundreds of people ALL over the country and did not pay out future move ins. Then last week he posted that same job in Kansas, which demonstrates his intention of creating a centralized call center similar to Caring.com The 200 employees are still on furlough which is a drain on government resources (ie unemployment) plus straight up wrong to the current employees in limbo. Who does that? It might be legal but it’s quite frankly wrong.

"Overall a great job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work from home. potential to earn great money. full benefits offered.

Cons

working evenings and weekends. expected to manage an very large volume of leads. quota increases yearly.

"Leadership can't keep their eye on the prize or communicate"

2.0
    Current Employee - Tech Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Okay Pay - The people in the tech org really care for eachother and are trying their best

Cons

- They're outsourcing most of the IT work. - Leadership is too busy to coach middle management. - Communication rarely makes its way down the chain until the last moment.

10. COVID-19

"Sinking Ship"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to help (some) families who are in need and you do make a difference for them. Working from home.

Cons

2 years ago the company was sold to a group of investors, who sucked all the cash APFM had built up and used it to fund their other projects. Leads were never great before, but after this happened, it was like someone just turned off the faucet (ahem, marketing). Not to mention one of the companies the investor group owned, owned a subsidiary, was a direct competitor to APMF. Google caught wind of this, and started to blacklist all organic SEO as they thought it was a monopoly on in the market, so lead volume and quality plummeted. Revenue has been going steadily down the past 2 years, so much so, that there were no quota increases during that time. That sounds like a great thing, but in sales, that’s a bad sign. Cut to last year, they get rid of the CEO who was actually good natured but could no longer take the company where it needed to go, and replaced him with Larry. At first it seemed like Larry was the man for the job, saw lots of opportunity, and everything was going to be fixed. HA. His idea of fixing things was to hire a bunch of upper management that does nothing to increase revenue, and have no idea how senior living works. He also extended working hours to 9pm on weekends, cut Christmas Eve as a holiday, and then has employees “volunteer—aka managers tell you pick 3 company holidays” to work. He really wants this place to be like Wal-Mart, open 24/7. When asked about work/life balance, he said he does not believe in that. To make your numbers, you have to work well over 40 hours a week. However, if you log over 40 hours a week and go into overtime, you are reprimanded, and told that you aren’t utilizing your in office time efficiently. How this place has never been sued is beyond me. Then cue Covid-19. The company was already a wreck before the pandemic, but now that no one unless they absolutely have to, wants to move their loved one into senior living, the bottom fell out. He spent all the company’s money on consultants and hiring all of his friends for top dollar positions, so they weren’t even able to weather 1 bad month without having to furlough 190 employees. Those employees had no warning; they were sent an email. April was another bad month, so in May, they got rid of another 90 employees, who had tenure and were top producers. This is in addition to the layoffs back in December. If you are still employed there, you are being micromanaged to death over “metrics”, which don’t actually generate any revenue or mean anything but gives regional managers, who are also worthless, a spreadsheet to critique and discuss on their zoom calls when they are berating their Senior Living Advisors. This virus has just exasperated their poor financial and business decisions that has plagued this organization the last few years.

Found 388 reviews