A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Working from home is not for everyone, you need to be able to separate yourself from work (in 9 reviews)

• Lean staffing -- sometimes difficult to maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunity for those wanting to work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Apfm for four years and I truly love what I do.
    I feel we have a great product and we are the best at what we do.
    This is a sales position so I would recommend this for anyone with Inside Sales experience. If you come from healthcare but are not crazy about dialing the phones, this is not for you.
    This job is incredibly lucrative, but only if you put the hours in.
    The stories I read of working 50 hours a week have not been my experience. I think Apfm does a lot to ensure the employees are able to have Life/work balance.

Cons

It would be nice to see our colleagues more often, and working from home can be a bit isolating.
    I think it’s very easy in this role to not get outside of the house enough, and not eat properly. But the company has programs in place to ensure we are being as healthy as possible.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to provide consistency between all the different teams. Some teams are more ‘cliquey’ than others, and this can be very divisive and not at all BYB.

2. "SRC"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment in Austin is amazing

Cons

Currently no down side

"Made it past the honeymoon"

Current Employee - Community Relations Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Community Relations Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Work doesn't feel like work. It feels like getting paid to help others-Both of which are important to me. The more I help seniors the better I'm paid. It's literally win win. PTO is generous compared to many companies in related field. My particular team is AMAZING; welcoming and always quick to offer helpful advice. RM is not a micromanager, but available every time I've needed her. First job I've had zero work related stress (other than what I put on myself for quotas).

Cons

Was nervous about it all being too good to be true. Been on board for 6 months now and still find No cons to this position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! My RM and SD have made this an incredible experience.

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding opportunity to help families in their time of need, working from home, great schedule

Cons

none that I know of yet!

Advice to Management

Cassandra in the HR department and your entire Management team is AMAZING! Maybe give them all a raise?

Oct 30, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thank you for your feedback! It's wonderful to hear from employees about their experience, and we're certainly glad that your experience has been positive!

"Company in transition, not a great place to work especially for a Seattle based position."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and smart people mostly. Good work life balance. The company really helps families and individuals in time of their need.

Learnt a lot and enjoyed working with some really smart people. I had access to all the tools I needed to work in terms of data and software applications. The software development teams were professional and great to work with. Teams worked well cross-functionally and to a common purpose.

Cons

The company recently got acquired by two private equity firms and the jobs and the center of equilibrium is for now moving to Austin and then who knows where.

The IT group is divided into two with one part managed by the CIO and the other by the CMO with the latter team in Austin. Does not make sense at all and screams of a major problems. Jobs have been moving to Austin and frankly the outlook for the Seattle office looks bleak. If you are looking at positions in Seattle then think twice.

I think it would be a good place to work if you are looking for positions in the Austin office. There are a bunch of smart people there. However, I am unsure of how things will evolve with the new owners.

There is a huge difference in culture between Austin and Seattle and the two offices almost seem to be in competition. I think this could have been completely avoided unless this was done with a specific outcome in mind. Other bigger organizations manage to successfully work with multiple offices globally so not sure why a much smaller organization cannot do it. Maybe Seattle is getting too expensive and talent is cheaper in Austin. Who knows...

Moral of the story is avoid this place if you are in Seattle and want to live here.

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great on-board training program!
    Flexible Schedule
    Positive Team Members who encourage and support one another.
    Even working remotely you feel a part of a team/family!

Cons

At times it can be difficult to separate work life and home life.

7. "Wonderful company"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had a wonderful experience with A Place for Mom.
    Flexible company with a potential to make great money.

Cons

Nothing negative .... so proud to work for a company that really cares about their clients as well as their employees.

Advice to Management

Excellent company !

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear that you enjoy working for A Place for Mom, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know. We're so glad to have you on the team!

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remotely and mostly set your own hours. Good Benefits. Training.

Cons

High turnover. No work/life balance. Completely focused on making numbers in an 'middleman' environment where the SLA have little to no control. Expectation that you work nights and 10 - 12 hour days the last weekend of every month. Any company that tells it's employees that they can't say negative things is indicative of something wrong with the company.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing so much on the numbers and start focusing on the employees. If you treat your employees right, they will do the right things for the company.

"No job is perfect, but this one comes pretty close!"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Emotionally gratifying to help seniors and their families. Financially rewarding with unlimited income potential if you are willing to work hard and craft your skills. Supportive "Becoming Your Best" company philosophy. Great training. Internet savvy and technology-driven company. Casual, comfortable "home office" workplace. Compassionate and caring co-workers.

Cons

Little opportunity for career advancement outside of corporate headquarters. Heavy emphasis on metrics.

Advice to Management

You have proven more than capable of growing A Place for Mom into a world class company. Keep up the good work!

Sep 25, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review! Your feedback is essential for us to understand the employee experience. We're so glad you're finding A Place for Mom to be a good place to work, and please... More

"Diverse employees; homogenous culture"

Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was given a lot of room to grow and learn new skills with this company. I really enjoyed and respected the many levels of management. I was a part of a good team that really pushed for career development and self-improvement. This is a company that will make you work hard to get to the top of the corporate ladder, and I really enjoyed that. I never felt bored in my work.

Cons

I paid $200/mo for health insurance, there were a few times during my tenure where I wasn't sure I could afford a co-pay or afford to take the time off when I was sick, I was fortunate that I never had any major surgeries. This may not be a big deal for the employees who make more money, but for junior employees it really takes a toll. It wasn't that management wasn't supportive and I could always work overtime, but this was a major factor in my decision to leave.

While we had a very diverse office with various cultures and strong leadership. The culture was very homogenous. The culture committee plans cultural holidays without consulting people of that culture. It wasn't as offensive as it was uncomfortable and when those concerns were voiced I was then singled out by a white employee who asked me to explain why anyone would complain about a cultural celebration suggesting it's just an excuse to drink and eat food (I don't speak for all people of my culture, and I don't understand how my culture is merely an excuse to drink and eat food). By the end of my term I didn't enjoy going to work, I loved the people, but I hated the culture.

Advice to Management

Don't just develop your employees, but make sure they are taken care of and feel comfortable. In the past 2 months, I watched 2 colleagues leave this company and take a lesser role with less career opportunity because they were either fed up with their management or felt they could not move forward at APFM.

Stop celebrating cultural holidays. It may not be offensive, but it makes people uncomfortable having to explain the nuances of their culture to people who don't bother to ask before planning a celebration. The culture committee should focus on the culture of the office and not the individual cultures of people within the office. It does not serve to celebrate diversity, but rather, pinpoint how someone in the office is different from you. There wasn't a person in the office I wouldn't grab a beer with, but I hated going to these events because of the forced interactions and uncomfortable themes.

Oct 18, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that A Place for Mom gave you the opportunity to grow and develop new skills, that you enjoyed working with your team and that your work was not... More