A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "ability to work from home (it is very encouraged)" (in 75 reviews)

• "Helping families find the best solution for their particular needs" (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lean staffing -- sometimes difficult to maintain work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Working from home is not for everyone, you need to be able to separate yourself from work" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Director"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

-Great team with many new leaders over last several months
    -Great mission to help people find the right assisted/senior living accommodations
    -Downtown with easy transportation options, not near Mercer mess
    -Large, growing market opportunity
    -Good blend of start-up and scale

Cons

-More meetings than I'd like

Dec 10, 2018 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We agree that we have a great team and are happy to have you on the team helping people find senior living options.

2. "Great culture and amazing people"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Great technologies
    2. Very close to customer
    3. Great impact on customer
    4. Amazing Upper manager (CTO and Director of tech)
    5. Great collaborative culture
    6. Work place (Columbia Tower)
    7. ability to work from home (it is very encouraged)
    I have been in Microsoft for 20 years before joining APFM. When I talked to the Director of technology in APFM, I was amazed by the vision, technologies, and the values. I had a peek to Glass Door and I was almost refusing the offer because of the negative feedback I have seen. However, after talking to people and reading recent reviews, I realized that they have changed upper management completely and they are promoting new culture. I am writing this after 3 months of great experience. The Culture is better than Microsoft. They encourage collaboration with no competition. I have met very technical and smart people who can help you to grow and invest in you. Managers and directors sincerely invest in people and care about them. No politics and reasonable requirements. Very smart people in tech org. I love my work and feel excited to go to work every day.

Cons

Medical Insurance. However, I am comparing them to the best Medical Benefits in the world (Microsoft)

Advice to Management

I love the culture that you are building based on People and investing on developers. Thanks for making APFM a great place to work in. especial thanks to Nitin, Stuart, and Gary.

Feb 4, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are glad to have you on the team.

3. "A Place in Transition"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Noble cause of helping families and their senior loved ones
    * Beautiful offices in downtown Seattle. Great holiday parties.
    * By in large, nice and talented co-workers
    * World-class Private Equity owners

Cons

The company went through an ownership change in 2017, which lead to a lot of churn at the leadership level. The top two brass (CEO and COO) had a falling-out which resulted in a lot of swirl and collateral damage, much of which is captured in these reviews.

These two leaders had established diverging cultures, management philosophies and strategies in the respective offices they headed up. This lead to some discord throughout the organization. Change needed to happen, but there was a lack of transparency and in some cases downright dishonesty about the reasons for the change. This caused a lot of good people to leave, and more dominoes to fall including the entire Austin office getting shut down last year.

There was a lot of disruption and a big talent drain in the process. In the void, there were some unqualified team members promoted to leadership positions.

New leadership was brought in on the Marketing and Technology teams. They seem to be solid hires, however they inherited a mess to clean up and an underperforming business to course correct. Ultimately the advisors and partners are feeling the pain as lead volume and quality has dropped.

"Management ruined it"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Port St Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Port St Lucie, FL

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at home. Help seniors find the care they need

Cons

Lead volume and quality dropped since the new ceo began. Can barely make a living now.

Advice to Management

Go back to what you did in the past. What you’re doing now is not working.

Mar 18, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad to hear that your job helping seniors was fulfilling and that you enjoyed working from home. Our CEO, Sean Kell, has been with A Place for Mom since... More

"This place is a joke"

Former Employee - SLA in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - SLA in Orange, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do have a wonderful, informative two-week training program where the trainers are all very knowledgeable and supportive.

Cons

Very high-stress based on unrealistic metrics. The only ones that succeed here are the long-term employees. It is almost becoming somewhat of a pyramid scheme. They are constantly letting go of the new people who do not get paid for their previous month's sales.
    The communities/partners that they serve all have negative feedback.

Advice to Management

You need to actually allow time for the SLA's to listen to the families.

Feb 25, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear you enjoyed our training program! We work with over 18,500 partners across North America and we are very proud of the relationships we have with... More

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - SLA in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - SLA in Bellevue, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can help some of the people some of the time.

Cons

If employment ends, they will steal your PTO hours if your state allows this.
    Most of your leads will not financially qualify for referrals. Leads must be able to private pay and 75% of leads will not financially qualify.

Advice to Management

Quit tricking people in to calling you. This is just wrong.

Feb 19, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you for your feedback. As you know, we help families with one of the most difficult decisions they will ever have to make: the process of helping an aging parent make “the transition” from... More

7. "Fast paced, ever changing environment. Great mission to help every family find the appropriate eldercare solution."

Current Employee - National Sales Manager
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping families is rewarding. Growth within the company makes the work more interesting.

Cons

Growing pains can make the environment challenging. Different divisions don't always communicate well.

Feb 25, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you so much for your feedback and everything you do every day to help families. We are glad to have you part of the A Place for Mom team and to hear you find your work helping families... More

"High tech without the high touch"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Some great people working to help families

Cons

Not enough time to help families properly

Advice to Management

Listen to your ground level employees

Feb 19, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for everything you do every day to help families! We would love to hear your suggestions. Please contact your manager or email HR (hr@aplaceformom.com) so... More

9. "Great benefits, great support for employees and our work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technical SEO in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Technical SEO in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of communication from executive leadership to employees further down the hierarchy; great support to drive success in our roles with tools and guidance and leeway to take ownership.

Cons

It's a decent sized company and we're spread out across the US and in other countries as well so all being on the same 'page' is sometimes challenging, but this isn't anything unique to A Place for Mom.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting employees, autonomy and flexibility are powerful motivators as you know!

Jan 29, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to have you on the A Place for Mom team!

"Not all sunshine and rainbows"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO - 3 weeks to start + 10 holidays and 2 float days

An abundance of free food

Pretty flexible scheduling (in my department anyway)

Cons

Little to no room for advancement
    Benefits aren’t great
    Only care about the sales team
    Only care about money even if it means sacrificing relationships with partners or getting a bad reputation
    Raises don’t even cover cost of living increases especially in Seattle

Advice to Management

Address the issues with the sales team. Executives know there are invoicing issues but choose to ignore them because of how great monthly booked revenue looks.

Take care of all employees the way you take care of the sales team.

Considering how much revenue we bring in each month, it seems like you could afford better raises, and better benefits. Your 401k match is a joke (25cents on the dollar) .

Feb 1, 2019 – A Place for Mom Communications

Thank you for your comments and thank you for being a valued part of the A Place for Mom team and for all you do to help families! A Place for Mom was founded as a business to provide free assistance... More