A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home - flexible schedule (in 52 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • When working from home it can be difficult for some to achieve a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

1. "I got fired for being a great Senior Living Adviser!"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Being able to work at home. A flexible schedule. You have the opportunity to help a lot of people.

Cons

My story is may seem petty and most of you will just assume I am not being honest about this...I can assure you I am telling the truth. I spent 3 grueling weeks of training; your training consists of a third classes (given by trainers) third online interactive and video, and a third in role play and actually customer interaction. I was impressed with their training in many areas. Well orchestrated and well presented the trainers are very good. The part not so good was the verbal test, 2 on 1 you go through a call. Because I forgot something on the application, I totally flubbed it up. I found the whole thing to be very intimidating but necessary. It just could have been a different attitude that would have made it so much easier.

Once I started it was very overwhelming, you get transfers back to back, all while learning to maneuver through there clunky CRM system. You do finally get it down but you are constantly dealing with the system doing automated actions on your tasks bar that you look like you are not doing the work you are doing. After 3 weeks of learning on the job, I finally felt that I had a rhythm and all my numbers were high on the charts, 3rd out of region in tours set up. 6 move-ins in less than 4 complete weeks!! I must have done something right. Believe me the process is well documented and everything is totally transparent, except when you want it to be. Ho and I might add, my call levels out were 35 a day, not including all the transfers.

Which leads me to why I am writing this. I was fired, I don't know why other than I questioned a bad policy they have of giving your family to someone else after you have totally interviewed them and spent time putting everything in. Then family has family member call in as that was the next step, this is what we had discussed and planed, the company policy instructs the call center employee to give it to another SLA!! What salesperson would agree with that?! No only that, it looks bad for the company. I had a real rapport with this family and the company did not honor that.

So this incident happens, I tell my manager that it is not right and that I was going to let my opinion be known.

On Monday morning, in the heat of working a few hours taking transfers, I get a call with my manager and HR. Totally blew me away!! Had no idea. They just said it is not going to work out. We are letting you go. Why? Oh you had problems catching on during training, she says. What? You just are not a good fit, she says? I wish you luck in the future. I know you don't agree with this but this is the decision we have made.

Advice to Management

Give someone a chance to fail before you fire them!! Recognize a star with good working habits who get results, someone who cares about doing a great job for the families and for your partners. Someone who got accolades and sincere families thanking you over and over for your efforts and concerns.

Don't reward employees who fire hard working, honest people because they are afraid the person may be better than they are, or just because they state their opinion. Insist that your managers have oversight and give any employee at least a chance to learn they are not doing what they want you to do. Although in my case, it could not have been that because they could not discount data! Basically because of a personality incompatibility you lost a superb, professional Senior Living Adviser who really was starting to love my job!

"Harsh Conditions and No Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from Home
    Amazing families
    Incredible teammates
    Good benefits

Cons

60 hours is never enough - and you can only clock in for 40.
    Quotas and back-outs are ridiculous
    No management support - they will throw you right under the bus
    No opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

Stop your burn 'em and churn 'em mentality. Value your employees. Lead by example and work like you expect them to do. Support your team. Offer opportunities for growth from within - not just from your industry cronies who you bring on board at an outrageous rate. Don't think that because you record everything we say that we don't talk on our cell phones and know everything that is going on.

A Place for Mom Response

Aug 24, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. Working the amount of hours you referenced is definitely out of the ordinary. In those instances where employees need to work overtime, they are required to tell their... More

"Things changed alot"

Former Employee - Collection Specialist/Account Analyst II in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Collection Specialist/Account Analyst II in Shoreline, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people was a great feeling.

Cons

When greed took over it is a sad thing.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees feel like they are worth something.

"Nice place to work but didn't like the job"

Pros

I liked the people I worked with there, had nice activities for employees.

Cons

The company was very insular and, to be honest, a little seedy about "leads" and increasing revenue.

"Not As Great As It Initially Sounds-Be very careful"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home can be great! Zero drive time, you can work from the comfort of your home office, low over-head costs, the ability to conduct sales an environment you can control.You need to be careful because you will quickly feel like you need to put in mega hours just to catch up!

Cons

Be sure you understand exactly what you are singing up for! For example, depending upon your base salary and commission structure, you will be treated like a total loser if you are not meeting or exceeding your quota by the third month on the phones. My manager also regularly told me I should be working extra hours (way above 40 per week) even though I met my quota each month. Also, sitting on your rear end for 9+ hours each day and chained to the phone is very frustrating for many sales people. My PKV's-partner knowledge visits-were only once each month because my territory 3 hours from my house--so, that wasn't great either. One more thing: I was denied my last's months commission--CLOSED SALES too. Why? Good question-I am filing a complaint with the State of CA EDD office next week.

Advice to Management

You should at least have been on the phones for 6 months before attempting to supervise a Senior Living Advisor.

"Be very careful in choosing this company"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Helping seniors navigate through the maze of various and sometimes confusing healthcare options. Helping partner communities drive incremental revenue into there building.

Cons

The value proposition to our referral partners cannot be validated by data. With increased pressure on hospitals and skilled nursing facilities by CMS to reduce hospital re-admissions rates, shorten LOS, ACO's evaluating performance and outcomes APFM can not prove it's worth. It claims it can improve the DC planning process, improve hospital re-admission rates, etc but has no data to support these claims. The SLA's control this company and it's destiny. In some regions they outright steal referrals from the CRA team and management does absolutely nothing to stop them or at the very least slow them down. Every CRA in the company essential has the same quota without consideration to partner penetration, demographic data, etc. This thing that is most troubling is that upper management has expertise in Internet marketing but are serving people in the healthcare arena where they really don't have any expertise.

"Senior Living Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with Families making significant life decisions. Meeting many senior care professionals in the community. Great team comraderie. Great computer programs. Quick response for technical support.

Cons

The company has become more focused on numbers than customer service. Regional manager in the Southeast has a very critical management style. The company depends solely on the Senior Living Advisor for money coming into the company yet the value of the advisor is not emphasized in the company.

Advice to Management

Understand that placing a loved senior parent is not the same as finding a hotel room. Create changes that are fitting for the senior care industry rather than duplicating a company that helped travelers find hotel rooms.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

money was good, idea of the company good providing help to consumers and communities. independent, autonomy to do the job etc...

Cons

The company doesn't focus on doing the right thing. Many of the advisors I worked with would send out referrals to all of the communities in the area, just in case the family might happen to tour. It is all about the number for the region and the company lost focus on doing the right thing. Many times, the advisors would bill erroneously in hopes that the community did not notice.

Advice to Management

Stop having your employees provide positive reviews in order to boost your ratings. Stop trying to cheat communities and families alike.

A Place for Mom Response

Dec 28, 2015 – Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we do encourage our employees to leave reviews for a couple different reasons. The first reason is so we can collect honest feedback from our employees, which allows... More

9. "Boring."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people and location is awesome.

Cons

Boring work. Same thing everyday nothing changes. Have to bribe you to get work done even when there is no work to be done.

Advice to Management

No advice this place is just boring.

"management has no vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

Trying to help seniors and their families

Cons

Helping families that have lots of money
    No advancement