A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Pros
  • work life balance, ability to work from home, lots of growth in the corporate office (in 47 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • When working from home it can be difficult for some to achieve a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

"So much opportunity to help!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most satisfying part of working at A Place for Mom is the scope of opportunity that exists to help families and seniors looking for the right senior living option. The resources and training are top notch and really prepare senior living advisors to begin assisting families capably very quickly. Every day brings new challenges that help senior living advisors continue to develop their skills and form new business relationships in the industry. The ability to earn top dollar absolutely exists for those really willing to put in the time and effort to become successful.

Cons

Many coming in think working from home will offer great "work/life balance", but advisor and manager positions really require a full time + commitment, including some weekends and evenings. There are high expectations to succeed, and the advisor and manager roles are very fast paced - those that are very driven to succeed do really well, but be sure that type of fast paced environment suits you before joining this team.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop more career paths for senior living advisors and regional managers that are interested in advancing within the organization.

"Enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good. Team I was on was wonderful to work with. Training is grueling at the beginning.

Cons

Quota system is something that is difficult to deal with every month. Can be very stressful especially since much of the quota achievement is out of your hands (people die, family has loved one move in with them or they change their minds, etc.)

"Friendly Environment in a Growing Industry"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is amazing - in the Columbia Tower, best views in town.

I think that the team comradarie across the board is very good. You consistently see people sitting having lunch and socializing at work and we have a number of events that keep employees engaged in the businesses mission and goals - like lunch and learns and partner days, but also have events that engage employees in a non-work setting, like happy hours, taco bars and trivia.

I think that the work-life balance is great. There is emphasis to get your work down and flexible options to work from home, but no one is constantly breathing down your neck - making employees feel welcome and accommodated.

As a business we are the leader in the industry and using a tech, fast-moving approach to solve real peoples problems and help families out. It feels great and you know that you are doing good in communities around the country.

Cons

I wish there some more mentor programs available and ability to help out in other side projects to showcase and grow in different skills and areas of the business. Seeking out these opportunities can be hard at times.

Advice to Management

Create mentorship program and more across team opportunities for employees. Aside from that I think the company promotes a degree of transparency that keeps everyone working hard towards realistic goals.

A Place for Mom Response

Dec 28, 2015 – Editor in Chief

This is fantastic feedback and we would love to hear your ideas for a mentor program! Please reach out to HR or your manager with your ideas on a mentorship program.

"Keep up the good work!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the culture of A Place For Mom. The company offers a valuable service, at no charge, to families in need of senior care advice and trains its advisors to be empathetic when discussing that advice. But though APFM fosters this empathetic attitude, it does so while stressing the sales culture; after all, if we don't make a sale by advocating and facilitating a move to a senior care option we haven't helped the family!

I admire the transparency with which APFM works. There's an honest and open sharing of ideas, actions and news within the company. I also like the culture of optimism and positive encouragement practiced by the management.

Cons

Though APFM has enjoyed a deserved rapid growth, the 2015 regional quotas have become very difficult to reach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Would Love To Come Back"

Former Employee - Partner Services Manager in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Partner Services Manager in McHenry, IL

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offers exceptional, unique service to families during very difficult times.

Cons

Sometimes overly numbers driven. Many times you can benefit a family tremendously without securing a move in.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Renton, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

Can make descent money if you hustle and make calls.
    It feels good to help seniors and their families.

Cons

Lots of metrics to meet.
    Not much room for advancement.

"There's Room for Improvement with Every Company"

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

APFM has grown tremendously improving training, benefits, and technology. Every company has their pain points especially companies with rapid growth. I've seen several employees leave the company and come back a year or two later after they realized that the grass wasn't greener. Several new positions have been created over the last few years allowing for people to advance in their careers.

Cons

The current corporate office is too small, not allowing for much personal space. When people can't get personal space there is always conflict. Can't wait to move to the new office! When a company grows as fast as APFM they have to also become scalable, which requires change. The company has not figured out how to hire people whose core competency is to adapt to that change.

Advice to Management

Continue asking for feedback from employees. Let employees know that you heard their feedback. Sometimes when it takes awhile to implement changes people think you did not hear them or did not care about their concerns.

A Place for Mom Response

Oct 27, 2014 – Editor in Chief

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Receiving feedback from our employees is important to us. While we’ve conducted employee surveys in the past, we are soon implementing a new survey ... More

9. "Senior Living Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great industry to be connected with. Lots of job satisfaction.

Cons

Goals and metrics unrealistic. Having had 2 managers, first one supportive, the other not at all.

"Wonderful colleagues with many good expansion challenges"

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, talented software development colleagues.
    Great engineering managers.
    Challenging software scale problems.
    Solid benefits with the possibility of bonuses.
    Lots of company growth potential that's being realized.

Cons

Benefits aren't great (high deductible); no matching 401k contribution.
    Software development division is going through a phase of high-energy, low-stability reorganization while the company goals of scaling-up are addressed.
    No opportunity for career advancement, but that's a known issue starting.
    Many talented, amazing employees have been lost due to conflicts with executives.

Advice to Management

Make a long-term technology plan and apply it in an organized, consistent manner.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

There are many nice people to work with at A Place For Mom. The management staff is top notch and the experience level of the employees is very good. You can learn alot working at a company like this. Gossip is at a minimum. Everyone works hard and puts in 110%, however there is a fair work life balance and the attrition rate is low.

Cons

There are typical small company stresses. Very little chance of upward advancement since the company is small, however you know that going in.

Advice to Management

None