A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lean staffing -- sometimes difficult to maintain work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Working from home is not for everyone, you need to be able to separate yourself from work (in 9 reviews)

1. "Senior Resource Coordinator (Austin)"

Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Resource Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice work environment, great coworkers, treated like a family. Easy job, laid back, good pay.

Cons

Wish we could have worked from home, kind of boring, a lot of ignorant old people, management was not too understanding, even though I received various accomplishments and acknowledgement through corporate in Seattle and kept the highest production on the team every week/month I still got laid off.

Advice to Management

Realize when you have real talent on your team, and also give employees the option to work from home. Wether that be once or twice a week or even permanently.

"Senior Living Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great on-board training program!
    Flexible Schedule
    Positive Team Members who encourage and support one another.
    Even working remotely you feel a part of a team/family!

Cons

At times it can be difficult to separate work life and home life.

Nov 27, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

We appreciate your feedback! Your comments help us see what we're doing right and what we can improve on. We're so happy that you 've had a positive experience.

"Senior Living Advisor role"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling allows for a healthy work/life balance. My co-workers are supportive and always glad to answer questions or make suggestions. The company values their employees and tries to project that in several ways, one of them being contests and giveaways. The pay is very competitive and there is no limit to what your annual salary can be if you are willing to put in the time and effort to achieve it. Moving away from the tangible benefits, this job offers the ability to aid, educate, and support families at a pivotal time. The emotional reward is extremely high.

Cons

Metrics, metrics and more metrics. While companies must have a way to measure what success looks like, this one focuses heavily on metrics; possibly too heavily being that at the heart of it we are working with people, not numbers or products. The greatest drawback to this position is the inactivity and weight gain. Because we are required to be at our desks with a headset for 8 hrs/day, our health does suffer. While APFM does have a large structure, they don't have any clear career pathways to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

Standing desks or a quarterly allowance toward such a purchase (or an ergonomic chair, yoga ball chair, adjustable footrest to help posture, etc) that will improve our at home working conditions would be very welcome. Studies are clearly showing that sitting for 8 hrs/day shortens your lifespan and increases health issues. I would also love to see career pathways that would allow for a way to advance within the company. There doesn't seem to be any place to grow from the SLA position beyond possibly becoming a regional manager.

Sep 21, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thanks so much for your feedback! It's so helpful to hear directly from employees about their experience whether positive or otherwise. We sincerely hope we can always achieve our goal of being a... More

"A good place to work and help families"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Helping families find solutions to a difficult part of life - placing an elderly loved one into a more supportive environment than remaining at home.

Cons

Not enough pay for hard work, especially because it can be very emotonal

Advice to Management

Pay your employees that care about the work they are doing and helping so many families find piece of mind and support. Most of the people that work her really care about the work that they do, but are not compensated financially enough for their efforts.

"So much opportunity to help!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most satisfying part of working at A Place for Mom is the scope of opportunity that exists to help families and seniors looking for the right senior living option. The resources and training are top notch and really prepare senior living advisors to begin assisting families capably very quickly. Every day brings new challenges that help senior living advisors continue to develop their skills and form new business relationships in the industry. The ability to earn top dollar absolutely exists for those really willing to put in the time and effort to become successful.

Cons

Many coming in think working from home will offer great "work/life balance", but advisor and manager positions really require a full time + commitment, including some weekends and evenings. There are high expectations to succeed, and the advisor and manager roles are very fast paced - those that are very driven to succeed do really well, but be sure that type of fast paced environment suits you before joining this team.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop more career paths for senior living advisors and regional managers that are interested in advancing within the organization.

"Good Experience"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

I worked at APFM for several years. In my experience there was lots of opportunity to grow that I was able to take part in. The corporate culture was great and made the environment fun and inviting. There was always something going on from Day of Service, monthly corp happy hour and yoga.

The company does surveys semi regularly to get the pulse of office and management was always supportive (in my experience).

Management is very transparent and change happens with great frequency keeping.

Cons

If you don't like transparency and change, this is not the place for you. There is a history of mass lay offs.

"Enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very good. Team I was on was wonderful to work with. Training is grueling at the beginning.

Cons

Quota system is something that is difficult to deal with every month. Can be very stressful especially since much of the quota achievement is out of your hands (people die, family has loved one move in with them or they change their minds, etc.)

"APFM is worth the consideration for future employment"

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Flexibility
    Supportive culture
    Growth company
    Financial rewards
    Many sales contests
    Top Performer Company Trip annually

Cons

Limited professional growth opportunities
    Occasional Evening/Weekend work could be viewed as a detriment if you're not wanting that in a position.

Advice to Management

Implement a strategy to identify and develop employees as future leaders of the company.

"two thumbs up!"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

APFM has a great group of people to work with. Everyone is a team player and dedicated to the noble mission of helping those in need.

Cons

The benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Thank you for supporting everyone's growth and opportunities within the company.

Aug 31, 2016 – Editor in Chief

Thanks for your feedback and happy you are enjoying your time with A Place for Mom.

"Very happy at APFM"

Pros

Love the mission and the culture! Great environment and awesome people at corporate office. I feel very respected and trusted and have a great time at work.

Cons

I must have been lucky with a great team but here that some are unhappy for different reasons. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because there is sometimes stress around the office. Nothing out of control though!

Advice to Management

Keep up the focusing on employees and good culture! It's working wonders!