A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home - flexible schedule (in 54 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • When working from home it can be difficult for some to achieve a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

"I love it and it one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had."

Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Washington, DC

Pros

You can make your schedule flexible, but you need to work over 40 hours to make this job work for you. Expect to put in 60-70 hours your first year. The families love your help; it is very reqarding.

Cons

I don't think a lot of new advisors coming on board quite get the resources that are available to families so developing trust is key. You have to be the expert. Many people are hired from a sales background with little to no senior background work so they tend to be money and numbers driven which is not what this field is about. The sales process is extremely slow which is to be expected in this kind of sales.

Advice to Management

Manage is great! They listen to what we say and try to take what we say and implement it. I think they do a great job.

"One of the best jobs I have ever had."

Current Employee - National Assessor in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - National Assessor in Bend, OR

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, good pay, very rewarding and a sense that you are truly helping others in need. Compensation is very high compared to any other home office based job. Anyone who could not make more than $50k in the advisor job after a year, just wasn't good at this job. It is a 40 hour job, some people just don't put in the time out of a home office. After 20 months, I still love it!

Cons

Some night and weekend work. Must be able to self manage. Used to be full commission, now is salary commission. Not for everyone, must be very compassionate and work well with people over the phone. The first year when it was salary only was very difficult. Recent changes have helped with that.

"A great place to start!"

Current Employee - Learning & Development Business Partner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Learning & Development Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APFM is a great place to build experience, network with amazing people, and offers a vast amount of opportunities for growth for those that work hard and show that they are reliable. I have learned so many valuable lessons during my time here, and I was able to take advantage of the growth opportunities through my own promotion from the call center to learning and developement.

Cons

Every work place has their cons, but nothing about APFM stands out to me as a major con. There are many more pros!

"Growing company, helping people, making a difference"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A Place For Mom is a growing company in downtown Seatle that is revolutionizing the way people search for assisted living and memory care for their Mom or Dad. The employees really care about helping people and the new management has improved the environment and culture of the company to make it a great place to work and help people.

Cons

It's still a small company, so if you are looking for corportate luxuries and perks, you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication and the openness about the company strategy.

"My experience at A Place For Mom has been my best experience so far, in a long working career."

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A Place For Mom represents 'the right idea at the right time' - the company mission is to help families find senior care options that are right, both for the family and for the senior. The Senior Care world is growing rapidly as our population ages and life expectancies increase. Working at A Place For Mom represents an opportunity to really help people, and to at the same time, to work for a successful, growing company that is expanding and hiring, even in the present difficult economic environment. Since I began working here a little over 3 years ago I've had the opportunity to work in several different departments and have been promoted twice! I've had an opportunity to learn and grow with the company and my experience base and income have benefited accordingly - I feel very fortunate to work for this company!

Cons

I believe we as a company have learned a lot in recent years, and management has made significant improvements in the areas of training & development, and in compensation in the last 9 months - unfortunately there was a time when Eldercare Advisors in the field were paid on a comission basis and that did not work well for a number of folks. I feel like, based on what I've seen in the last year, that the 'cons' are behind us and that things will get even better going forward.

Advice to Management

I feel like Management is pretty transparent and I believe there is great value in continuing and even expanding that transparency.

"Great Team; Great Opportunity"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative team
    - Trying new things and fixing problems is encouraged and supported
    - A lot of transparency into the business's direction
    - Helpful service for families
    - Rapidly growing market

Cons

- No frills insurance
    - No 401(K) matching

Advice to Management

- May want to consider some corporate training
    - More recognition for good work would help
    - Keep up the open transparency

"Fun and Promising Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent colleagues
    - Flexible schedule
    - Internal promotion
    - Great technology
    - Great location overlooking Lake Union

Cons

- Not enough inter-departmental interaction
    - Poor selection of places to eat in the immediate vicinity. A downtown location would be more accessible for most workers too.

Advice to Management

- Greater emphasis on the positive impact we have on people's lives.

"Working with A Players lifts my skills every day"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

~ Amazing product / service. Our families love us and I feel good each day knowing I've helped someone
    ~ Top management team. Each person is wickedly smart and my skiills / knowledge increases daily
    ~ Rapidly growing company and industry. Truly exciting to work here and help shape the future of senior housing
    ~ Opportunity to make decisions and have a positive impact on a daily basis

Cons

~ There is a lot going on and sometimes it is hard to stay focused
    ~ Benefits could be better, especially healthcare

"Great company that is growing and helping people - hiring in Seattle and expanding nationwide"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APFM has made tremendous strides in the past year to improve the business, the culture and the future of the company. The company is hiring advisors and new employees in the HQ. Some of the "old-timers" were not happy with the new corporate strategy, and they left the company, but I think the new company direction and values are great. We have a great company now and are having our best year ever. It's so great to work for a company that helps people and we know APFM will be around for years to come.

Cons

Benefits are not as good as some big companies, but that's expected at a small company.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on helping people and giving employees opportunities to do more and grow in their careers.

"Fast growing, fast changing company"

Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has changed dramatically since new management arrived 2 years ago.
    The company is in the process of moving from a start-up to "playing with the big boys". In the last two years we have created a full reporting suite and enterprise-data-warehouse; created a national accounts partner team; created a national partner growth team; grew a call center from less than 30 people to more than 150; completely changed the culture and pay structure of over 200 in-field advisers, reducing employee churn to almost zero; created a marketing team (in the old world marketing sat under finance if you can believe it!)

Through it all we've managed to keep our focus on helping families and the company mission.

It's not often you get to combine hard work and huge impact with doing a lot of good in the world.

Cons

Through the changes of the past two years some people have been left behind.
    Many people were hired into roles that made sense when the company was a small start-up, but they had difficulty as the company became more focused on things like metrics and "deliverables".

As these people struggled in their roles they blamed others (I think that's what's going on in some of the reviews by ex-employees on here). That poisoned the culture a little as we all went through the transition. I think with the hiring of a new CFO and CIO this seems to have been solved, but only the next few months will tell.

Also: Career Opportunities are a mix-bag. As a fast growing company there are lots of opportunities for growth, but at the same time, it's still a small company and will never have the laundry list job board that a giant Fortune 500 would have. You have to be a little more patient for something that fits your exact right skills.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open.
    More feedback earlier is always better - especially for the people who are excelling in their jobs so they know they are doing well and can focus on the things that matter.