A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
A Place for Mom CEO Sean Kell
Sean Kell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home - flexible schedule (in 54 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • When working from home it can be difficult for some to achieve a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

"Senior Living Advisor"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Great company! Work at home. Great pay.

Cons

Definitely over 40 hour work week.

A Place for Mom Response

Aug 14, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

Thank you for your input and the vital part you play in helping families. In those instances where employees need to work overtime, they need to tell their manager and record the time so they can be... More

"Senior Living Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full benefits including long term care insurance, no pension but there is a 401 K with a small company match

Cons

This company is metrics crazy and has created many layers of management to monitor them; it is very stressful and distracting to the job of selling a valuable service to families; must work evenings, holidays and weekends; there is no career path for advisors

Advice to Management

focus on a few KPI's and let your advisors sell

"Midwest Senior Living Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive Team members supporting you every step of the way.
    Working from home.
    Ability to make a lot of money, it's all up to you and what you put into it.

Cons

You may need to take a pay cut in the beginning during the ramp up period, but if you take ownership and work hard, you can make some great money!

"Honestly, I'm not sure what the title should be."

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Organization continues to grow with consumer needs.
    Beautiful view from corporate office

Cons

After working for APFM for 3 1/2 years my supervisor did not acknowledge my last day. I gave a lot of myself to the company and position, so this was hurtful. This speaks volumes about my supervisor.
    Cut bonuses this year.

Advice to Management

Require annual Manager training.
    Top leadership should spend more time in the field with employees to better understand what is really happening and needed.

"Most of these reviews are fraud"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here almost 2 years before I couldn't take it anymore.

Cons

Not an honest company. Just wanted to write this as it is company policy to have employees write false reviews to boost company image.

Advice to Management

Get real guys, stop lying to people.

A Place for Mom Response

Jul 12, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

We strongly disagree with your statements. A statement that “Most of these reviews are fraud” is defamatory and libelous, and a false and misleading allegation that we have committed a criminal... More

"Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours
    work from home
    potential income is unlimited
    great benefits

Cons

having work nights and weekends

"Good Work Done Well With Great People"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A Place For Mom is a fast growing company that dances the balance between acting like a startup that needs to grow fast as well as a real 'company' that realizes that growth is just hype if it doesn't lead to profit. The company is also working hard to develop a culture that you'd want to be part of - one that treats everyone well.

Cons

With as many opportunities in front of it as there are, sometimes the company tries to do too much at the same time leading all projects taking longer than you'd expect.

Advice to Management

Thing through the cultural differences between remote, Seattle and Austin locations.

"Smart company making a positive impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came to APFM looking for real work/life balance, and I definitely found it. Coworkers are smart and genuine. Senior management trusts employees and doesn't micromanage. Compensation is fair, and it's refreshing to be part of a company that helps so many. Working here has reinforced how unprofessional and stressful my last few jobs have been.

Cons

None so far. Have only been here a few months, but no complaints! I truly enjoy working here.

9. "I got fired for being a great Senior Living Adviser!"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Being able to work at home. A flexible schedule. You have the opportunity to help a lot of people.

Cons

My story is may seem petty and most of you will just assume I am not being honest about this...I can assure you I am telling the truth. I spent 3 grueling weeks of training; your training consists of a third classes (given by trainers) third online interactive and video, and a third in role play and actually customer interaction. I was impressed with their training in many areas. Well orchestrated and well presented the trainers are very good. The part not so good was the verbal test, 2 on 1 you go through a call. Because I forgot something on the application, I totally flubbed it up. I found the whole thing to be very intimidating but necessary. It just could have been a different attitude that would have made it so much easier.

Once I started it was very overwhelming, you get transfers back to back, all while learning to maneuver through there clunky CRM system. You do finally get it down but you are constantly dealing with the system doing automated actions on your tasks bar that you look like you are not doing the work you are doing. After 3 weeks of learning on the job, I finally felt that I had a rhythm and all my numbers were high on the charts, 3rd out of region in tours set up. 6 move-ins in less than 4 complete weeks!! I must have done something right. Believe me the process is well documented and everything is totally transparent, except when you want it to be. Ho and I might add, my call levels out were 35 a day, not including all the transfers.

Which leads me to why I am writing this. I was fired, I don't know why other than I questioned a bad policy they have of giving your family to someone else after you have totally interviewed them and spent time putting everything in. Then family has family member call in as that was the next step, this is what we had discussed and planed, the company policy instructs the call center employee to give it to another SLA!! What salesperson would agree with that?! No only that, it looks bad for the company. I had a real rapport with this family and the company did not honor that.

So this incident happens, I tell my manager that it is not right and that I was going to let my opinion be known.

On Monday morning, in the heat of working a few hours taking transfers, I get a call with my manager and HR. Totally blew me away!! Had no idea. They just said it is not going to work out. We are letting you go. Why? Oh you had problems catching on during training, she says. What? You just are not a good fit, she says? I wish you luck in the future. I know you don't agree with this but this is the decision we have made.

Advice to Management

Give someone a chance to fail before you fire them!! Recognize a star with good working habits who get results, someone who cares about doing a great job for the families and for your partners. Someone who got accolades and sincere families thanking you over and over for your efforts and concerns.

Don't reward employees who fire hard working, honest people because they are afraid the person may be better than they are, or just because they state their opinion. Insist that your managers have oversight and give any employee at least a chance to learn they are not doing what they want you to do. Although in my case, it could not have been that because they could not discount data! Basically because of a personality incompatibility you lost a superb, professional Senior Living Adviser who really was starting to love my job!

"Excellent company for sales performers!"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Uncapped earnings
    High year of year growth company
    Accessible leadership
    Work from home eliminates commute time

Cons

If you are not a driven performer, this role would not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop even more tools to assist in the field!