A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

A Place for Mom Reviews

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home - flexible schedule (in 54 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Working from home is not for everyone, you need to be able to separate yourself from work (in 8 reviews)

• Lean staffing -- sometimes difficult to maintain work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

"Smart company making a positive impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came to APFM looking for real work/life balance, and I definitely found it. Coworkers are smart and genuine. Senior management trusts employees and doesn't micromanage. Compensation is fair, and it's refreshing to be part of a company that helps so many. Working here has reinforced how unprofessional and stressful my last few jobs have been.

Cons

None so far. Have only been here a few months, but no complaints! I truly enjoy working here.

"Amazing income potential"

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home - flexible schedule

Cons

Communication isnt the best. Stressful to hit monthly quota.

"Excellent company for sales performers!"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Uncapped earnings
    High year of year growth company
    Accessible leadership
    Work from home eliminates commute time

Cons

If you are not a driven performer, this role would not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop even more tools to assist in the field!

"Most of these reviews are fraud"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here almost 2 years before I couldn't take it anymore.

Cons

Not an honest company. Just wanted to write this as it is company policy to have employees write false reviews to boost company image.

Advice to Management

Get real guys, stop lying to people.

A Place for Mom Response

Jul 12, 2017 – VP Brand Marketing

We strongly disagree with your statements. A statement that “Most of these reviews are fraud” is defamatory and libelous, and a false and misleading allegation that we have committed a criminal... More

"I got fired for being a great Senior Living Adviser!"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Being able to work at home. A flexible schedule. You have the opportunity to help a lot of people.

Cons

My story is may seem petty and most of you will just assume I am not being honest about this...I can assure you I am telling the truth. I spent 3 grueling weeks of training; your training consists of a third classes (given by trainers) third online interactive and video, and a third in role play and actually customer interaction. I was impressed with their training in many areas. Well orchestrated and well presented the trainers are very good. The part not so good was the verbal test, 2 on 1 you go through a call. Because I forgot something on the application, I totally flubbed it up. I found the whole thing to be very intimidating but necessary. It just could have been a different attitude that would have made it so much easier.

Once I started it was very overwhelming, you get transfers back to back, all while learning to maneuver through there clunky CRM system. You do finally get it down but you are constantly dealing with the system doing automated actions on your tasks bar that you look like you are not doing the work you are doing. After 3 weeks of learning on the job, I finally felt that I had a rhythm and all my numbers were high on the charts, 3rd out of region in tours set up. 6 move-ins in less than 4 complete weeks!! I must have done something right. Believe me the process is well documented and everything is totally transparent, except when you want it to be. Ho and I might add, my call levels out were 35 a day, not including all the transfers.

Which leads me to why I am writing this. I was fired, I don't know why other than I questioned a bad policy they have of giving your family to someone else after you have totally interviewed them and spent time putting everything in. Then family has family member call in as that was the next step, this is what we had discussed and planed, the company policy instructs the call center employee to give it to another SLA!! What salesperson would agree with that?! No only that, it looks bad for the company. I had a real rapport with this family and the company did not honor that.

So this incident happens, I tell my manager that it is not right and that I was going to let my opinion be known.

On Monday morning, in the heat of working a few hours taking transfers, I get a call with my manager and HR. Totally blew me away!! Had no idea. They just said it is not going to work out. We are letting you go. Why? Oh you had problems catching on during training, she says. What? You just are not a good fit, she says? I wish you luck in the future. I know you don't agree with this but this is the decision we have made.

Advice to Management

Give someone a chance to fail before you fire them!! Recognize a star with good working habits who get results, someone who cares about doing a great job for the families and for your partners. Someone who got accolades and sincere families thanking you over and over for your efforts and concerns.

Don't reward employees who fire hard working, honest people because they are afraid the person may be better than they are, or just because they state their opinion. Insist that your managers have oversight and give any employee at least a chance to learn they are not doing what they want you to do. Although in my case, it could not have been that because they could not discount data! Basically because of a personality incompatibility you lost a superb, professional Senior Living Adviser who really was starting to love my job!

"Great place to work, fantastic culture"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Great people - highly motivated, smart individuals working extremely well as a team to blow away KPI's
    Visionary senior leadership team
    Culture of working together, having fun, giving back to the community
    Customer first focus
    Ease of getting things done

Cons

So far all is great!

"Outstanding , cohesive interview process..."

Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked with employees of A Place for Mom for several years, and I now work for and with them! Every interaction I have had with employees and staff of this company has been comprehensive, agenda oriented, you always know what the next step is going to be and what direction you are headed in. I was so impressed with this company I looked for employment with them myself. My application to interview to hiring process was well organized and seamless. You are never left wondering or guessing. The employees both as partners and now fellow employees have always been responsive, professional and friendly. I am thrilled to now be a part of this amazing organization.

Cons

I have not found any

"A good place to work and help families"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Helping families find solutions to a difficult part of life - placing an elderly loved one into a more supportive environment than remaining at home.

Cons

Not enough pay for hard work, especially because it can be very emotonal

Advice to Management

Pay your employees that care about the work they are doing and helping so many families find piece of mind and support. Most of the people that work her really care about the work that they do, but are not compensated financially enough for their efforts.

"Senior Advisor"

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time

Pros

Great helping families in need.

Cons

work/life balance was not balanced at end/micromanaging

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, ability to work from home, lots of growth in the corporate office. Transparent leadership.

Cons

Parking can be a bit tough.