A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

A Place for Mom Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • work life balance, ability to work from home, lots of growth in the corporate office (in 47 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • When working from home it can be difficult for some to achieve a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

"Homophobic, racist, pretentious, dead end job."

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom (More than a year)

Pros

None. There was a niche in the market you filled and filled it first but your competitors are going to eventually out you out of business because you prey on the family members of the elderly because of commission (And do no follow through). And your contracts and fees to group homes and assisted living for referrals are disgusting. It should be illegal. Shame on you.

Cons

Overall the review score on glassdoor is 3.3. Not great, not horrible. Remove all the salespeople that get incentives to leave 5 star reviews off and the curve scews significantly right. Probably close to a 2. Which is one of the lowest reviews I've ever seen. Consider that when applying.

Advice to Management

Follow the business model of your two top competitors who actually want to help their clients and CEOs don't earn over $200- $300k per year. Yeah, I saw the postings on the kitchen bulletin boards prior to quitting. Make your executives take paycuts and treat your employees better.

A Place for Mom Response

Jun 10, 2016 – Editor in Chief

We have reviewed your feedback and take your allegation seriously. As a matter of Company policy, we would conduct an investigation should an allegation such as yours be brought to our attention. If ... More

"Not As Great As It Initially Sounds-Be very careful"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home can be great! Zero drive time, you can work from the comfort of your home office, low over-head costs, the ability to conduct sales an environment you can control.You need to be careful because you will quickly feel like you need to put in mega hours just to catch up!

Cons

Be sure you understand exactly what you are singing up for! For example, depending upon your base salary and commission structure, you will be treated like a total loser if you are not meeting or exceeding your quota by the third month on the phones. My manager also regularly told me I should be working extra hours (way above 40 per week) even though I met my quota each month. Also, sitting on your rear end for 9+ hours each day and chained to the phone is very frustrating for many sales people. My PKV's-partner knowledge visits-were only once each month because my territory 3 hours from my house--so, that wasn't great either. One more thing: I was denied my last's months commission--CLOSED SALES too. Why? Good question-I am filing a complaint with the State of CA EDD office next week.

Advice to Management

You should at least have been on the phones for 6 months before attempting to supervise a Senior Living Advisor.

"Multi-Department Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible schedule and free coffee.

Cons

Terrible overall vibe to the company, with EXTREMELY HIGH turnover; bottom 10-20% pay rate, unless at executive level or transferring from Expedia (CEO's old company); minimal benefits; lack of corporate vision - constantly shifting objectives; serious gossip (not joking); unable to move up in company unless transferring from outside; etc.

"Very, very high pressured sales position masked as "helping seniors""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team atmosphere - your coworkers (Advisors) will be supportive of you .

I used to say working from home but that translated into working from home.... all of the time!

Cons

Very high pressured sales position- you are only as good as your present month/quarter. You are paid commissions on the # of seniors you move into communities each month.

Quota is mandatory! If you do not make it, the Area Sales Director of the East will put you on a Coaching Plan. This includes employees who have been hard working and dedicated for many years. You are only as good as your present month/quarter.

You will work days, nights and weekends and your hours can change at any time "based on business needs."

Quotas go up, salaries and compensation do not yearly.

If you request time off, it can be given "conditional on you meeting your quota." What happened to earned time off?

You might be told it's a 40 hour per week position but there is NO WAY as a sales person to earn a living, especially starting off working only 40 hours. Just don't report your time or you'll get thumped for working overtime not reported

Partner communities are not always easy to work with! They have to pay us out of their marketing budgets and sometimes they do not see us as a benefit. You are paid on your move ins to each community and sometimes you have to literally chase them down. Community directors often times despise working with APFM.

Advice to Management

Hire Regionals who have worked in the position so they understand what life is like as an Advisor.

If you are truly a compassionate company, treat your employees better and respect their family life.

"Senior Living Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with Families making significant life decisions. Meeting many senior care professionals in the community. Great team comraderie. Great computer programs. Quick response for technical support.

Cons

The company has become more focused on numbers than customer service. Regional manager in the Southeast has a very critical management style. The company depends solely on the Senior Living Advisor for money coming into the company yet the value of the advisor is not emphasized in the company.

Advice to Management

Understand that placing a loved senior parent is not the same as finding a hotel room. Create changes that are fitting for the senior care industry rather than duplicating a company that helped travelers find hotel rooms.

"Good mission, good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A Place for Mom has made great strides in the last few years in making it a great place to work. People are given a lot of respect and leeway to do their jobs without micro-management, there is strong recognition of the fact that people have lives outside of work, and the culture of the company is positive. There is the additional benefit of the fact that the company has a positive mission of helping seniors and their families with the difficult problem of finding senior housing and care.

Cons

The office is in the Columbia Tower, which has great views and easily accessible for public transportation. But if you need to drive to work, being downtown can be a challenge since parking is very expensive.

"Great W/L balance, good people focused on an important mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I like working here a lot. I work in the Marketing organization and feel like I'm surrounded by smart, capable people who are friendly and pleasant to work with. The company has a very hands-off management culture, which means that a lot of my colleagues work early-morning to mid-afternoon. The view from the Columbia Tower is breathtaking and the office is easy to get to with public transport. The broader mission of helping families feels good, but it's the pleasantness of my colleagues and the work I get to do that keeps me motivated every day.

Cons

It feels like the tech organization is a bottleneck in executing whatever initiatives the company is trying to execute on.

"Truly Just a Sales Job"

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

work from home is really the only one.

Cons

they used to let you make your own schedule, now you have to be on the phone when they tell you to. The goals are difficult to achieve. It's sold as "helping families" (which it is) but the real focus is on SALES, SALES, SALES. I mean, they're a business, so that makes sense but it's not always what's best for the families.

Advice to Management

find something that works and stick with it.

"Friendly Environment in a Growing Industry"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is amazing - in the Columbia Tower, best views in town.

I think that the team comradarie across the board is very good. You consistently see people sitting having lunch and socializing at work and we have a number of events that keep employees engaged in the businesses mission and goals - like lunch and learns and partner days, but also have events that engage employees in a non-work setting, like happy hours, taco bars and trivia.

I think that the work-life balance is great. There is emphasis to get your work down and flexible options to work from home, but no one is constantly breathing down your neck - making employees feel welcome and accommodated.

As a business we are the leader in the industry and using a tech, fast-moving approach to solve real peoples problems and help families out. It feels great and you know that you are doing good in communities around the country.

Cons

I wish there some more mentor programs available and ability to help out in other side projects to showcase and grow in different skills and areas of the business. Seeking out these opportunities can be hard at times.

Advice to Management

Create mentorship program and more across team opportunities for employees. Aside from that I think the company promotes a degree of transparency that keeps everyone working hard towards realistic goals.

A Place for Mom Response

Dec 28, 2015 – Editor in Chief

This is fantastic feedback and we would love to hear your ideas for a mentor program! Please reach out to HR or your manager with your ideas on a mentorship program.

"Keep up the good work!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the culture of A Place For Mom. The company offers a valuable service, at no charge, to families in need of senior care advice and trains its advisors to be empathetic when discussing that advice. But though APFM fosters this empathetic attitude, it does so while stressing the sales culture; after all, if we don't make a sale by advocating and facilitating a move to a senior care option we haven't helped the family!

I admire the transparency with which APFM works. There's an honest and open sharing of ideas, actions and news within the company. I also like the culture of optimism and positive encouragement practiced by the management.

Cons

Though APFM has enjoyed a deserved rapid growth, the 2015 regional quotas have become very difficult to reach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!