A Place for Mom Reviews | Glassdoor

A Place for Mom Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It can be very lucrative, it's also very nice to work from home (in 46 reviews)

• Fast growing organization that is changing the landscape of Senior Living by helping families simplify their search of senior living (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Working from home sounds easy but it's very challenging (in 7 reviews)

• Lean staffing -- sometimes difficult to maintain work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Awesome and challenging"

Pros

Excellent environment with some great people doing good work to help families. Work from home is a "dream job".

Cons

A very all encompassing job that demands enormous amounts of dedication of time and emotion. Expectations and quotas are high. Year over year growth takes a back seat to increased quota's being met and no incentive is given for Y/Y incremental growth instead, worth is measured in difficult t in particular at the higher levels. It's not impossible but very difficult. Life balance is difficult working from home. Though every job has it's cons, this is certainly a wonderful company that I hope to be with for many years. If you are up for the challenge, it's a great place to be.

Advice to Management

An excellent company with incredible opportunity and some great people. Sometimes the core purpose gets lost in the numbers and processes. Sales processes have become labor intensive and tedious to execute while the grading and observing of this process presents itself as cumbersome and cluttered. Though the training is first rate, it is very hard to maintain and retain the information and is often difficult to apply in real dialogue with callers.

A Place for Mom Response

Dec 28, 2015 – Editor in Chief

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoy the work from home opportunity and helping families. We encourage you to talk to your manager If you feel like your expectations/quotas ... More

"Senior Living Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Living Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with Families making significant life decisions. Meeting many senior care professionals in the community. Great team comraderie. Great computer programs. Quick response for technical support.

Cons

The company has become more focused on numbers than customer service. Regional manager in the Southeast has a very critical management style. The company depends solely on the Senior Living Advisor for money coming into the company yet the value of the advisor is not emphasized in the company.

Advice to Management

Understand that placing a loved senior parent is not the same as finding a hotel room. Create changes that are fitting for the senior care industry rather than duplicating a company that helped travelers find hotel rooms.

"Good mission, good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A Place for Mom has made great strides in the last few years in making it a great place to work. People are given a lot of respect and leeway to do their jobs without micro-management, there is strong recognition of the fact that people have lives outside of work, and the culture of the company is positive. There is the additional benefit of the fact that the company has a positive mission of helping seniors and their families with the difficult problem of finding senior housing and care.

Cons

The office is in the Columbia Tower, which has great views and easily accessible for public transportation. But if you need to drive to work, being downtown can be a challenge since parking is very expensive.

"Truly Just a Sales Job"

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

work from home is really the only one.

Cons

they used to let you make your own schedule, now you have to be on the phone when they tell you to. The goals are difficult to achieve. It's sold as "helping families" (which it is) but the real focus is on SALES, SALES, SALES. I mean, they're a business, so that makes sense but it's not always what's best for the families.

Advice to Management

find something that works and stick with it.

"Great W/L balance, good people focused on an important mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

I like working here a lot. I work in the Marketing organization and feel like I'm surrounded by smart, capable people who are friendly and pleasant to work with. The company has a very hands-off management culture, which means that a lot of my colleagues work early-morning to mid-afternoon. The view from the Columbia Tower is breathtaking and the office is easy to get to with public transport. The broader mission of helping families feels good, but it's the pleasantness of my colleagues and the work I get to do that keeps me motivated every day.

Cons

It feels like the tech organization is a bottleneck in executing whatever initiatives the company is trying to execute on.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor

Pros

Get to work from home, helped families in need

Cons

Nights, weekends, looking at computer all day fielding calls that ay or may not be qualified. Had to chase communities for payment or you did not get paid. Manager had a reputation as a "pit bull"

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and the hours they put into make it happen.

"CRA"

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly love working for this company. The culture of promoting work/life balance is really great. I like that when I am off work, I have permission to be "off work" and no one is making demands of me to be available. I really love the people I work with and I have a lot of autonomy. The CEO, Sean, is super funny and he seems very down-to-earth. He is approachable. This truly is the best company i've ever worked for.

Cons

I only have 1 con. It seems that when people are successful on the community relations side, there has been an underlying suspicion of "cheating" or doing something wrong. I've never worked for anyone that makes you, at times, prove you deserve credit for something. "guilty until proven innocent" is the best way I can describe it. I have a fear of doing well because I don't want a target on my back so I lay low and just get by with achieving my numbers. Especially since being given credit for my work can seem subjective.

Advice to Management

There is a shift taking place the last few weeks and I see the Professional B2B Division moving away from the suspicion of "catching people" to creating more of a "checks and balances" atmosphere when it comes to the audits you conduct. I really appreciate this because people do not function well in a state of fear or being on a "list" of people to watch. It feels so much more safe to make a mistake than it did before. People know when they are on a list so please do away with all of them if you want people to perform at max capacity. Take the people off the list and have a conversation with them to understand why they do what they do and help them realize another way that benefits them even greater.

"Friendly Environment in a Growing Industry"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location is amazing - in the Columbia Tower, best views in town.

I think that the team comradarie across the board is very good. You consistently see people sitting having lunch and socializing at work and we have a number of events that keep employees engaged in the businesses mission and goals - like lunch and learns and partner days, but also have events that engage employees in a non-work setting, like happy hours, taco bars and trivia.

I think that the work-life balance is great. There is emphasis to get your work down and flexible options to work from home, but no one is constantly breathing down your neck - making employees feel welcome and accommodated.

As a business we are the leader in the industry and using a tech, fast-moving approach to solve real peoples problems and help families out. It feels great and you know that you are doing good in communities around the country.

Cons

I wish there some more mentor programs available and ability to help out in other side projects to showcase and grow in different skills and areas of the business. Seeking out these opportunities can be hard at times.

Advice to Management

Create mentorship program and more across team opportunities for employees. Aside from that I think the company promotes a degree of transparency that keeps everyone working hard towards realistic goals.

A Place for Mom Response

Dec 28, 2015 – Editor in Chief

This is fantastic feedback and we would love to hear your ideas for a mentor program! Please reach out to HR or your manager with your ideas on a mentorship program.

"Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to help so many families! There are solid avenues to assist the families that inquire for help; as managers we are encouraged to hire advisors that are good sales people, but also have a strong desire to be of service to families and seniors in there search for senior living solutions. The company mission is visible every day. Senior management is very accessible. Benefits are improving each year.

Cons

Could use a clearer career path for the sales team. Not as many opportunities to advance as there are for tech and operations staff members.

Advice to Management

Keep your top talent by challenging them with new opportunities for growth and development - the investment will pay off in continued growth for the organization!

"Keep up the good work!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the culture of A Place For Mom. The company offers a valuable service, at no charge, to families in need of senior care advice and trains its advisors to be empathetic when discussing that advice. But though APFM fosters this empathetic attitude, it does so while stressing the sales culture; after all, if we don't make a sale by advocating and facilitating a move to a senior care option we haven't helped the family!

I admire the transparency with which APFM works. There's an honest and open sharing of ideas, actions and news within the company. I also like the culture of optimism and positive encouragement practiced by the management.

Cons

Though APFM has enjoyed a deserved rapid growth, the 2015 regional quotas have become very difficult to reach.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!