A.T. Still University Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working Environment"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ATSU is one of the best places I have ever worked! Morale in my department is exceptionally high. We share space with several other departments and it's truly a pleasure to come to work!

SUPERVISION: Company policy provides autonomy to supervisors who in turn are responsible for executing skilled leadership in running their departments, ensuring good moral & efficient work output. I am fortunate to work for one of the best supervisors in our university and have found flexible policies ensure our department is able to perform at a superior level.

HR: Their knowledge of university programs and policies has been immensely helpful over my many years of employ. Honor and integrity are core values evident when one walks through their door. Dedication (to staff, students & university); fairness; equity; and a proactive demeanor permeate everything they touch. ATSU's HR department provides some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. Never have I seen a harder working group of people.

TRAINING: Annual training has been streamlined leaving one feeling the authors truly understand how valuable their product is. Kudos to the team for designing a training package which is user friendly, targeted, memorable and time sensitive.

BENEFITS: Benefits are excellent! I am particularly impressed by the Health & Wellness program employees are encouraged to partake in resulting in improved personal health and reduced insurance costs! ATSU subsidizes our benefit package ensuring every employee can afford insurance coverage! We are always kept abreast of current mandates. BRAVO and thank you for all you do for us!

ADVANCEMENT: Hard work and positive attitudes ARE recognized! ATSU has an awesome recognition program. I've personally witnessed support of employees on a quest for self improvement, professional improvement and general progression within the confines of ATSU. Everyone benefits when our dynamic supervisors and employees engage.

Cons

SUPERVISION: Company policy provides autonomy to supervisors who in turn are responsible for executing skilled leadership. Whilst I work for an exceptional supervisor, as in any large company it's quite possible not everyone is as fortunate. Our benefits have the potential of being a double edged sword. Anyone unfortunate enough to work for a supervisor in need of "additional training" has a responsibility to discuss the matter with a department that can help. HR and Diversity come readily to mind, along with the multiple Safe Zone volunteers around the university. Keeping silent does not bode well for the employee, supervisor or university. It is everyone's duty to recognize and call out those cancerous elements of the human psyche that make for a less than harmonious working environment.

BENEFITS: The downside of excellent benefits is that sometimes mediocrity chooses not to move on. It's hard to find other companies with a benefit package as good as ours. Because our HR department goes to great lengths to help disgruntled employees find a path to "enlightenment", I've found there have been, on occasion, employees who create a difficult working environment for others. If things weren't as good at our university I would expect those people to move on - but they don't. I don't feel this is a huge problem because it's apparent by the quality of employees/students at ATSU that leadership goes to great lengths to find the "right" people for the job.

COMMUNICATION: ATSU is afflicted with bureaucracy, as is most large institutions. In recent past I've seen a concerted effort to modernize our procedures. I am confident communication will equalize as our upgrades come to fruition.

Advice to Management

It appears to me that issues of concern are common knowledge at the lower levels. Perhaps senior leadership could solicit unfiltered feedback to further the institutions further growth. ATSU is great place to work at!

2. "Hiring is a joke"

I worked at A.T. Still University full-time

Pros

Pay is average for higher education

Cons

It is required to post a job for three days. ATSU has a tendency to find someone internally to move into a position and then post the job for one day.

3. "Good people"

Former Employee - Intern in Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Kirksville, MO

I worked at A.T. Still University (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Friendly people within each department. Departments work well together. Management is easy to work with. I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

No cons really. Maybe better pay and more frequent performance evaluations from various levels. Clearer route to advancement would be nice.

Advice to Management

Don't really have advice. Keep up the good work. I'm assuming things have not changed since I worked there. But everything seemed to run well.

"Overal more positive than negative, but improvement needed"

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time

Pros

Very strong mission on service to the underserved brings people together.
    Great faculty and staff coworkers.
    Benefits and retirement are strong.
    Adequate time provided for professional development and has a university based Teaching and Learning Center.
    Research support.
    Telecommute options for some positions.

Cons

Some nepotism and friendly back scratching in leadership, evidenced by inadequately skilled leaders in some positions and disrespectful behaviors.
    Communication failures from University administration to faculty and staff lead to misunderstanding of expectations and faculty dissatisfaction.
    Low salaries with minimal annual raises.

Advice to Management

Communicate back to faculty and staff that their concerns are actually heard by sharing why a concern will or will not be able to be addressed. Honest communication works better than placating employees with periodic prizes.
    Allow each college to create their own identity and stop comparing them to other schools within the university who may have very different goals.

"Challenging environment, but unrewarding for a staff member"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Having the opportunity to work with students is very rewarding.
    - Most people on campus are very friendly and professional. The campus grounds are beautiful.
    - A telecommute policy was recently instituted which now allows staff members to work from home one day per week with their supervisor's approval.
    - All staff and faculty receive an additional week or so of paid holiday leave around the holidays every year.

Cons

- This is an educational institution that does not offer any educational/training opportunities for staff, unless you already have a Bachelor's degree which many staff members do not possess. There is a training fund for staff, which is currently being funded by donations.
    - Administration and faculty use fear mongering techniques to keep staff members, "in line."
    - The HR department is useless. Many policies include the stipulation, "up to your manager's discretion." This causes quite a bit of discord between departments. Further, even though the HR department serves both the Mesa and Kirksville, MO, campuses, there seems to be a lack of communication between the two sites.
    - There is very little opportunity for job growth. The only options for staff are to stay in your current role and receive yearly cost of living wage raises, move to another staff role within the university, or earn a Master's degree and try to become a faculty member.
    - There is a strong class divide between faculty and staff members. The culture within the organization only reinforces the divide.
    - Departments are frequently understaffed.
    - Staff members are now required to punch a time clock everyday.

Advice to Management

Please consider providing more benefits to your staff members. Staff members are an asset to every department within your organization, and are an integral part of ensuring that the day-to-day department operations are running smoothly.

"Mixed bag"

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Very rewarding working with faculty, students, staff and colleagues.

Cons

Not much work/life balance since the university is perennially understaffed. Lack of long term planning and overall vision. Not many opportunities for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Invest in retaining existing staff & faculty, besides make it making it more attractive to prospective employees.

7. "Adjunct faculty"

I have been working at A.T. Still University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the people I work with. The students are awesome

Cons

This job is not to make money, it is to help the students become better

"Great life/work balance but difficulty getting a salary increase."

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Kirksville, MO
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Kirksville, MO

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work / life balance
    -Good benefits for salary positions
    -Many opportunities to learn and grow professionally
    -Adequate training is often approved

Cons

-No employee advocacy within leadership.
    -Skills are often taken for granted and not adequately compensated.
    -Some low performance employees are not held to higher standards.

9. "ATSU"

I have been working at A.T. Still University full-time

Pros

Positive educational - learning environment, good salary and benefits - excellent students to work with - safe healthy work place.

Cons

None really - balanced life and work.

Advice to Management

None - a great learning community with 2-campus sites.

10. "Unmanaged growth"

Former Employee - Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at A.T. Still University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and professional development opportunities, work-life balance, interprofessional collaboration, mission, interesting and educated coworkers who enjoy the sport of a challenging work environment

Cons

Low salary, lack of communication, insufficient IT provisioning, zero based budgeting and overall budget process, lack of sufficient budget support, small town and large urban cultural misalignment

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries, focus on areas for potential growth, increase diversity in meaningful ways, follow processes, devote appropriate resources for IT and infrastructure