A Thinking Ape Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2020

4.1
A Thinking Ape Co-Founder Kenshi Arasaki
Kenshi Arasaki
Pros
  • "oh and not to forget Wednesday catered lunches(in 9 reviews)

• "ATA offers a lot of autonomy over ones work(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The products ATA makes may not be for everyone(in 5 reviews)

• "Recent personnel changes means a large amount of expertise has left the company(in 2 reviews)

"Ban"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If we ban certain players, it would be safer for other players!

Cons

We do have a lot of complaints from players from other ATA games! For instance, the game Party In My Dorm, we have to much problems with extortion. From my perspective, a lot of people are asking for stuff that is nearly impossible to do almost. I would really want to make Party In My Dorm a safe game for everyone.

2. "Meh"

1.0
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Creative Freedom Fun Dogs allowed Catered Food

Cons

Work load was too much and team visibly tired

September 20, 2019Head of People & Culture

We’re delighted you got to reap the benefits of the fact that we only use our own IP, we know having that creative freedom is hugely rewarding for our designers and artists. Yes, this may involve more work than licensing at times, but we actively encourage our team to work the hours that suit them. We consciously design programs for our people that support them to be able to do their best work and live healthy lives. Our extensive benefits program has a variety of options to support our team's health and wellness including an onsite massage therapist once a month, and other physical, mental and financial resources.

3. COVID-19

"Founded by failed Amazon devs with no morals or ethics"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

None - The company has no pros. Stuck around only due to the Coronavirus but even then I couldn't work for such a horrible company.

Cons

Founders have no morals or ethics. They are more than happy to screw over all their customers and employees at anytime without hesitation. Every game they make is riddled with bugs and they have absolutely no intentions to build anything right. It's all cheap quick hacks to steal as much money from people. When they screw up and the players lose, they laugh. Literally, they laugh in meetings about idiots that spend money and than lose due to the game lagging significantly or just blatantly not working. They've said they are untouchable because they're an online business and no one governs them but sooner or later, the government will catch up to them and anyone working for them will be painted with the same evil brush.

Continue reading
  4. "Above and Beyond everything I expected"

Current Employee - Game Artist

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

-They really care about your well being here -Everyone is clearly passionate about the work they do -Management is very warm and approachable -You have a lot of ownership over your work

Cons

Because of the company's massive growth over the past year, documentation for new employees hasn't been able to keep up. However, this isn't an insurmountable issue because everyone is so willing to help you directly.

Continue reading
  5. "An unbelievably great place to work"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

An amazing place to work with an amazing culture of ownership and growth and values that really try to ensure a healthy working environment. You will get as much responsibility and work as you care to take on, learn a lot, push your boundaries and generally have a great time doing it. People here are great people who also happen to be super smart and highly talented. Everyone is trusted to care of their work, take initiative and work hard. It's been months and it's still a joy to come to work every morning! I still can't believe I work in a place like this.

Cons

The products ATA makes may not be for everyone. Super open workspace not always the greatest.

Continue reading
  6. "Good tech. startup oriented culture, albeit varies vastly by team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people/HR team is great, led by a very capable individual. They put in a lot of effort to make employees comfortable and cared for. It’s a product focussed company that’s experienced good traction, thus being able to invest in future product growth. Engineers, visual designers and artists seem to enjoy their jobs here.

Cons

The cultural values of ‘ownership/autonomy’, ‘best ideas win’ and ‘having wonderful arguments’ is actually resented by the senior folk within some teams - the commercial ones in particular. This leads to a very pronounced form of micro-management that stifles original/critical thinking. The job descriptions for some roles are also dressed up to signify wider scopes than they actually encompass.

October 17, 2019Head of People & Culture

We appreciate the kind words about the hard work our People Team puts into making sure the studio is an enjoyable and comfortable workspace. Our team is hugely important to us and we have big ambitions for making ATA an even better place to work for our employees. Our core values are guiding statements that we try and live every day and ideally everyone should be using them to influence their decision making. Within the last year we’ve experienced a lot of growth and the added resources have been great for our teams. However, we recognize that with our strong focus on hiring we may have not done the best job of educating people around the importance of our core values and making sure that everyone has clarity around their meaning. We’re currently working on training materials and new ways in which we can re-engage the team around our core values and ensure that everyone from the CEO to our co-op students are using them to produce outstanding work.

7. "A gr-APE place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

Be part of a stable, growing startup with beloved products, exceptional culture, visionary leadership, hard problems and real opportunities.

Cons

Typical startup challenges and opportunities: is it a bug or a feature? Running successful games as a service means we're providing support 24-7.

8. "A Company That Cares"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many pros for this company! - The Founders, Directors, and Leads care about the people of ATA and strive to create a healthy and inclusive work space where everyone can be themselves and do their best work. - Flexible work hours: Incredible work life balance - Extreme ownership / freedom on projects. - Support and resources from various sources (team leads, annual professional development budget, studio library, company wiki etc.) - Perks: studio snacks, weekly catered lunch, monthly celebrations, monthly in-studio massage clinic, annual fitness benefits, active design open workspace, dogs allowed, games room, patio parties, the list goes on. - Fun, super smart people to work with everyday! - ATA is a company that lives true to the company core values.

Cons

Obviously, as the company has grown over the last year there are certain pain points that come with many new hires coming onboard. However, it’s clear that the leadership team has been very proactive in addressing these issues and adapting to protect the amazing culture in the studio.

Continue reading

"Lacks structure and stability"

2.0

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Relaxed office environment with large amounts of freedom. Good compensation and benefits plus relaxed core hours.

Cons

Recent personnel changes means a large amount of expertise has left the company. Team and product structure has changed to adapt but workflows that were once seamless have disappeared, leading to a number of team, product, and stability problems. The feeling of "what's broken now" has become commonplace. Teams are at times visibly burnt out.

September 20, 2019Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We recognize that individuals moving on to new opportunities, the unprecedented growth in our team and the creation of a new game team has led to changes in our team and product structures this year. In order to get an understanding of the impact of these changes, we recently introduced scheduled skip level 1:1’s with our directors. These 1:1’s will enable us to improve communication with our teams, assess the ongoing health of each department and identify any workflow obstacles. As you mentioned our employees are offered a huge amount of freedom and relaxed core hours, and we proactively encourage anyone feeling burnt out to take advantage of these benefits. In the spirit of ownership, we trust people to approach their work in ways that work best for them and speak up if they are feeling misaligned to our priorities.

10. "Great Culture and Great People"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

- You're given a lot of freedom because the company trusts that you'll do your best work - You're surrounded by very smart, and more importantly, nice people that you can learn from and grow - Lots of snacks + Catered lunch

Cons

A lot internal processes and tools still have room for improvement.

Found 42 reviews