A&R Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
James E. Bedeker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Orientation and initial training in Atlanta"

Current Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Big difference from how my last company treated new hires. They got me a rental car, paid the gas, paid training, paid for hotel which provided breakfast, paid for our lunch everyday at different restaurants in town, trainer was friendly, polite, funny and knowledgeable.

Cons

The recruiter told me that the truck would have an APU for people who use a CPAP machine but they don't have APU's on any of their trucks.

Advice to Management

Need more reassurance that I will be able to meet my sleep apnea needs would be nice. So far, everyone has been really nice. I enjoyed the southern hospitality in Atlanta. It was a pleasant change from my previous employer.

2. "Run!!!"

Pros

Employees (at times) & benefits.

Cons

Over worked, LITERALLY NO LUNCH, lack of resources, lack of management.

Advice to Management

Start over!

"Tuck Danielson Tuck!!!!!"

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

Pros

Maybe the signing bonus depending what you feel your time is worth. The employment is the only thing that's truthful, the truck do have power steering and cb wires hanging. Wheels, well you wash on your dime on your time.....RUN

Cons

You are treated like the equipment, its almost like the try to make your stay in the truck as bad as they can do legally. They will not allow a power converter, not ever on your dime! Should I say more?

Advice to Management

Sell it back to the owners that cared! You are going to lose all the older drivers and never have a driver make it over 6 months. But your are making good money on the heads of your employees, I say keep going until there is no more to get, good job making money for the owner.

4. "driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Springfield, MA

Pros

good place to work everybody's friendly

Cons

Equipment could be in better condition

Advice to Management

People need to stop using so much email and talk to each other

"If you don't mind long hours, crap pay and being expendible....come aboard."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Morris, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Morris, IL

I have been working at A&R Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to your average minimum wage job, the pay is alright. Not sure about Office or Driver salary, but in the Warehouse you'll start out at $14/hr. Once you get hired on the benefits are decent and, honestly, that's the only reason I'm still working here.

Cons

What isn't a con at this company anymore. It's only been a little over a year since I began working here, but I've seen a dramatic shift in how the place is run. Workdays used to be routine and things ran like a well-oiled machine, but now you've got no clue what you're going to be doing day after day. We used to have a 9-hour shift, 5 days a week, that resulted in a couple hours of guaranteed overtime. Then they changed it to 8 hours, but still getting your 40. Then they tossed that and replaced it with a modified split-shift of two teams working 1 week on and off, telling us it'd be 12-14 hour days when in reality it became 14-16. Then they fleeced the temps and consolidated the teams into one, having us work a 4 day week of 10-12 hour days which, as you guessed it, have become 12-14s.

The management doesn't care about you, only about pushing product and making money. They come down hard for making mistakes, but increasingly put greater pressure on us to do more, faster, with less. They'll buy brand new trucks and trailers, but won't fix machines and leave you having to manpower something that should've been equipment-aided. They've got a ventilation system installed, but won't turn it on so when trucks are brought in with product to be siphoned out we're left to breathe in all the diesel fumes with create a dense, visible haze across the whole warehouse. Furthermore, they installed brand new heaters for the docks, but refuse to turn on the heaters for the packaging lines, leaving employees to get cold and sick working hours on end.

Moreover, you're denied basic considerations that most places of employment have these days, like scheduled 15 min breaks, sick leave or personal days. You're given a 30 min lunch, but if you want to find some peace and actually eat in your car, it becomes a 20 min lunch due to the fact that the main parking lot isn't large enough to accommodate everyone, so floor staff get's the shaft and has to park in a small off-loading area half-way across the warehouse. And, of course, they can't allow us to go through the door at that location (for "security reasons", even though they always left it open when I started) so you have to walk in the freezing cold every morning to go clock in.

Constantly management schemes, breaks their word and treats you like a rabble-rouser if you voice your grievances. Even mention the word "Union" and you're likely to get kicked out. They want you to be grateful and appreciative of your dead-end job, even though they treat you like crap and pay you likewise. Every Wednesday the drivers get a free lunch and if floor staff decides to eat some without staying in the break room, they're treated like parasites and the office staff quickly boxes up the food. Then there was Handshake week, which sounds as BS as it is, which changed the next year to Driver Appreciation Week. OSHA violations happen every day, but go unreported.

So I guess if I had to sum up, if you're not a driver, management or office personnel, then you're basically viewed as an expendable asset, unworthy of decency.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees right, especially the ones doing all the hard work on the floor away from climate-controlled offices and actually incentivise people to stay, like providing better pay, actually giving us some personal/sick days and just generally treating us with a modicum of respect for all the money we make this company.

6. "good benefits and good pay , leader in their industry."

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Decatur, AL

Pros

good people and ability to earn a good living.

Cons

training was very lacking. too many things i was not trained on when i was turned loose.

Advice to Management

restructure training process from begining to end on all aspects.

"Great place to work at one time"

Former Employee - Driver in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Driver in Columbus, OH

Pros

Not to many pros to put on here

Cons

Management disconnect from the drivers,terminal s against each other,pay structure and old trucks an trailers

Advice to Management

Respect your drivers an listen to them they do the job and get your pay up to pay the same m/t or loaded

"Wolf in sheep's clothing. Beware!"

Former Employee - Driver in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - Driver in Morris, IL

I worked at A&R Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Descent benefits. Honest dispatch (when I left), descent equipment and maintainance. Servicing equipment typically takes too long but they do a pretty descent job of finding and repairing issues. Experienced mechanics.

Cons

After a six year tenure, I watched a company go from one of the finest run trucking companies, to one of the most upside down trucking companies, in a short period of time. Confusion and total lack of communication as well as high employee turnover rates in all departments and extremely low employee morale has taken it's toll. The company has seen two different investment groups in a relatively short period of time.

As a local driver based at the Morris, Il. terminal (headquarters), I began to regularly deal with long delays in the yard due to equipment shortages (primarily trailers) and railcars being pulled from one track and switched to an adjacent track while we waited and long waits to get to the scalehouse. The tank wash is also very slow to turn trailers around. All of these things cripples a local driver, especially when you're restricted by e-logs.

I listened and waited patiently for two years, as management told us how much they wanted to improve the company operations and driver's salaries. They finally announced two different pay package improvements, neither of which was helpful to a local driver. Finally, I was forced to make a change after I watched my income steadily decline and I was getting nowhere voicing my concerns to various terminal management and corporate management.

The management comes almost entirely from large dry-van and reefer companies (Schneider, Swift and Prime etc..). Very few, if any, have dry-bulk experience and it shows. It's my impression that they would like you to believe that they're listening to your concerns and complaints but based on the employee turnover rate, they clearly aren't. I believe that there are much bigger changes ahead for A & R, sadly, I don't see any of them being positive.

Advice to Management

Based on my own personal experience, management doesn't seem to be interested in taking a driver's advice or any other emloyees advice, whether it's dispatch or customer service or maintenance.

The management seems to think that their approach is the best and only approach. Apparently, they have failed to realize that experience is a valuable commodity not to be taken for granted, because they have lost alot of their experienced driver's and it shows in average loading times, net load and contamination events.

Ego seems to be something that they would be well served to have alot less of. If they did more listening and less talking, they would be far better off.....in my humble opinion.

9. "Losing the Morale and Integrity"

Former Employee - Systems Driver
    Former Employee - Systems Driver

I worked at A&R Transport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Among the older veterans, what's left, there seems to still be a since of family oriented energy. The work load is available, busy and fast -paced, which is GREAT in the transportation industry! The ability to transfer among other locations is a good plus as well.

Cons

This company was viewed by it's peers in the industry as one of the elite places to be employed. The founder and his values created a platform for a dynamic company , that should be or could be so much more. However, since new owners have taken over , the morale is down, family spirit is gone, and the crabs in the barrel have begun. It seems as though many in management and upper management are all battling to be the "leader" but are clueless how to lead. Growth is necessary and change is inevitable , but when done in a disgraceful manner it won't be well received. Would you rather loose an empire or build one? The atmosphere is disconnected. Drivers don't know executive staff, executive staff don't know warehouse/scale house , terminals are not acquainted with other terminals. The disconnect is obvious and embarrassing.

Advice to Management

I would advise being a Man/Woman of your word! Implement change in a conducive manner. Be willing to address issues by spending time with(shadowing) and acknowledging the concerns of all of your staff, especially drivers. It's hard to point and dictate with the same level of respect as you would get if you saw things 1st hand from the other point of view.Don't be politicians. Earn respect and trust don't demand it. Show & Prove. Mostly acknowledge that as a whole, the company has lost an EXTREME amount of good,veteran,loyal , and even new Drivers in the past 12 months. As well as experienced lost in the office staff, customer service,fleet managers, and we all know the list can go on..... The point is , if you look at these facts and numbers in hind sight, acknowledge that somewhere you are going wrong. Things have to get better and accept the part you're playing in the demise of what used to be Phenomenal company! There are a lot of great people that are trying to stick it out hoping that things will turn around. But if not sooner than later , there won't be much to salvage. Support your people and constructively move forward. Although I've moved on, I hope the right person takes the time and makes the right decisions that will make A &R one of the elite places to be again. Wish you luck from my rear view mirror.

"Down hill slide since the company was bought out by investors and is being managed by former Schneider execs."

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Morris, IL
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Morris, IL

I worked at A&R Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll get plenty of exercise doing the job. Driving is only a fraction of the skill needed to operate a pneumatic trailer. Loading/unloading is physical and requires lifting pulling climbing pushing 60 to 100 lb stainless hoses.

Cons

Management is now holding your hand and breathing down your neck from start to finish. The company and how you do your job is being systematically changed. The result is you make less money. I made 7k less last year than the year before due to these changes. Ie: e-log, turning down the trucks to 66mph and dispatch procedures.

Advice to Management

A&R was once a great company with very little turnover and a waiting list of drivers wanting to get into the company. Since you took over you have lost a great % of your experienced drivers and the new ones are washing out after 2 or 3 months. Drivers are quitting faster than you can hire them for a reason. This is a bulk company not a dry van Schneider company. Try putting things back in place that had made this company the great place it was and it will continue to grow. At the rate you're losing drivers you will soon lose customers. Put the drivers first and if you're going to put a whole new set of expectations on drivers that reduces their production you'll need to fix the pay package and not drag your feet. The pay versus all the new expectations you've put on drivers is the reason so many have and are quitting. There needs to be a better balance.