A is for Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Marilyn Freeman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Compensated for most mileage and drive time (in 3 reviews)

• If you have a good relationship with some of the consultants, you can get good hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to get a full time schedule (in 7 reviews)

• There can be a lot of driving (but I get "drive time" compensation) (in 6 reviews)

1. "A Place To Thrive"

Former Employee - Clinical Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I love most about this company is that my hard work and determination is appreciated. I think there are few employees who just want to do a mediocre job and expect promotions, raises, and recognition for doing the bare minimum. As a person who really does their best every single day to go above and beyond, I can't express enough how many opportunities this company has given me to grow, learn, and thrive in my career. Best of all, I get do so helping awesome children.

Cons

No cons. This is a great company.

Advice to Management

Do as you do. You're doing great!

"Please Beware"

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time

Pros

- They try to trick you and tell you that the pros are that the pay is above competition, without telling you that the hours as a behavior technician are extremely variable and low. It is difficult to even get 30 hours a week, even though they are constantly in need of more employees.
    - They also tell you that you get benefits, but the benefits are not good, with high copays, and no 401k option.
    - They also tell you that you get paid for mileage, but it is not really worth it in terms of the depreciation of the value of your car.
    - They also tell you that they have a great environment, but if you are a behavior technician you will never see another soul.
    - They also tell you that the job is rewarding as you are working with kids whose lives you will change, but then you will realize that in reality you are working with parents who caused their kids to have these behaviors and will continue causing these behaviors unless you intervene and say something to them which often results in them being mad
    - they tell you there is room to move up, but they move up others who I am surprised was allowed to even move up, as the senior techs all lack any type of backbone and drive.

Cons

- So thus, in reality, all of the pros are actually cons, and this place is a trap that tries to entice you with words such as 20/hr, yet at 20/hr you will be making less than 30k untaxed, a year, full time....
    - If you are not on good terms with the schedulers, then you're boned.
    - Supervisors and Senior Techs are hit and miss, some are supportive, some don't care at all about their job or the kid or their team
    - If you are a supervisor then there is a lot of work often taken home, and you are thus paid annually instead of hourly.
    - They are mostly all about money rather than the kids
    - I've heard bad stories about them from other employees about how they were arguing with their clients and kicking them out of therapy services and tricking people into non-paid training seminars.
    - Marilyn, the CEO, doesn't really care about the children, only about her money and reputation, that's why she bothers to personally go through all these reviews and try to say something in return. Go do something right and good-hearted for once, then better reviews will follow.
    - WORST CON: no vacation days. Marilyn wanted everyone to work new years, but thankfully no one wanted to and scheduling disobeyed her and wrote to everyone that they had new years off.
    - All the parents are the true reasons for behavior problems of their children. So in the end it becomes this scenario:
        Parent says, my child has a tantrum when I yell at him to do something I want him to do
        Me: Go figure
        Parent: Fix it now, or I will complain to the company
       Me: (Fixes It)
        Parent: (Breaks everything I fixed and then expects me to refix)

Advice to Management

Try to do right for the people who don't work in the office and for the kids that you don't ever even see or interact with.

"Interesting, challenging and rewarding job. The company, however..."

Former Employee - ABA Therapist
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist

I worked at A is for Apple full-time

Pros

Effecting positive change in kids' and families' lives
    Learning and experiencing personal growth through teaching and connecting with children
    A relative sense of autonomy

Cons

Constant policy changes
    Inefficient scheduling/cancellations system
    Stringent and punitive leave policies
    Overall lack of concern or consideration for employees
    Feeling that the company cares more about cutting costs and than caring for its employees or providing top-notch services

Advice to Management

Scheduling needs a complete re-vamp. There is an unbelievable level of incompetence going on there.

4. "Full-Time Employee"

Current Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company gives me the opportunity to make a difference with the work that I do. I spend a lot of time at work and I'm happy to be surrounded by so many great people. I'm glad to be part of this team and I hope to be here for a long time.

Cons

Sometimes I have to circle around the campus a few times to find parking.

Advice to Management

Marilyn you rock!

5. "I Love Working At "A Is For Apple""

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time

Pros

I love working at A is for Apple! Working here has given me a meaningful purpose and a career. I get to see children grow because of my efforts. I get to work with good people who care about me. Together, we change lives for the better.

Cons

The work can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. "Good Staff"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm an administrative assistant and the A is for Apple staff solid. This is a solid company that's been around for many years so they have accrued a lot of good people over time. The training and support offered to therapists is second to none. The company is loyal to its employees and regularly promotes people up the ladder. Management is accessible and their open-door policy is literally open door. I can speak to whoever I need to speak to when I want. Co-workers are friendly and supportive. There is a real family spirit. The pay and benefits are as good or better than I’ve seen anywhere. I plan to be here for a long time.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all of your support.

7. "Best ABA Company"

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm what they call a "behavior technician" AKA the person who runs the ABA programs for kids with Autism. I love working here because they are better than the other companies I worked for doing the same thing. This company trained me, even though I already had ABA experience. They paid for me to take the Registered Behavior Technician training course and now I am an official RBT with the Behavior Analyst Certification Board and I can go anywhere and get a good paying job in ABA and probably even as a mid-level supervisor, but I don't need to do that because they promote from within the company and I'm already being groomed for the position. This is the best ABA company out there. Period.

Cons

Pros not cons. That's all I got.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the opportunity.

8. "I Like Helping Kids"

Current Employee - Behavior Technician in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with kids that I adore. I actually can't believe I'm getting paid to do this. My kids so far have been a little older, like 6 and 8 years old, and they're really smart and fun to work with. My programs with one kid is all about playing board games together and asking him questions about the game and taking turns and that kind of stuff. It's great. I highly recommend this place.

Cons

I don't have any cons right now and I hope I don't ever have any.

Advice to Management

I love what we do so please keep it up.

"Mediocre ABA Company"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA

I worked at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors, coworkers and clients

Cons

Low pay and uncertain hours. BS training reimbursement fee

Advice to Management

Structured scheduling and better pay

A is for Apple Response

Mar 13, 2017 – CEO

We have a family oriented, friendly staff at A is for Apple. We are one of the highest paying companies in this industry. There re no training fees, period. We have consistent and certain hours.

"Cons outweigh the pros"

Current Employee - Senior Tech in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Tech in San Jose, CA

I have been working at A is for Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with special needs children, it's such a rewarding challenge. However this is a position that requires A LOT of energy, patience, consistency, driving, criticism, creativity, and love. Within the phase of building rapport, please make sure this is what you really want to do & stick with it for the benefit of the kids. As we know, this company has a high turnover rate (due to their poor management & lack of professionalism) which unfortunately affects several kiddos. Do it for the kids.

Cons

I don't want to bash on the company nor stop anyone from getting employed here, but these are a few things I'd like to point out.

- training shouldn't be done within one week filled with a down pour of information, which can sound like nonsense to those not familiar with ABA. This is why many techs go out into homes and have no idea what to do. ABA requires a much more extensive and practice-based training ( not just some role playing for a few minutes ).
    - Everyone in the office is extra friendly when you first get hired. In all honesty I am grateful for my amazing senior techs & supervisors because they work harder than anyone else. I do not feel the same way about management though. Scheduling is not the nicest and will harass you through email and phone calls for minor things. The CEO...well let's just say she'll walk past you like you're not even there. She is very possessive and does not consider anyone else's opinions/ideas so I'm not sure how she could say she cares about her employees. I know she worked hard to get to where she is, but her demeanor is just a shame. Try and learn your senior techs names at the least. Give a smile, thank you, anything.

Advice to Management

These "good reviews" are absurd. At the least, they made me chuckle.

A is for Apple Response

Mar 13, 2017 – CEO

We have an amazing, hard working staff that provide both initial trainings and ongoing trainings and support. Our training program is one of the best in the industry. We provide hands on training... More