A1 Solar Power Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.1
David Malka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • they will hire anyone without a background check (in 2 reviews)

• Easy to move on since everyone is selling solar (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for employees but thanks for adding PTO (in 8 reviews)

• Childish management, greedy & scam-like sales practices, and the company's financial status was murky (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales Rep-Project manager"

Pros

Good people work there. The focus is on doing what's right for the Customers

Cons

Communications are not efficient, there are too many variables in how info is shared

Advice to Management

Pay attention to web presence and follow up with happy customers to gain positive web audience

2. "Keep it Real"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

Management is Smart
    Industry is Interesting
    Work is varied and diversified
    No bureaucracy

Cons

No Benefits (since its 1099)Management is also immature
    No benefits
    Financial status murky
    Old Employees need to be rewarded vs new consultants

Advice to Management

Allow more input from managers; youd be suprised

3. "A1 Solar ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Accounting Department in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

I have been working in the Accounting department for almost a year and I LOVE it! I work under a wonderful Controller. Not only is she a great and strict boss but she is also a wonderful friend. We work under a new CFO who is leading the company in the right direction. I truly enjoy my time here. We are not micro-managed; we have flexibility with work schedules and lunches. All that A1 Solar requires of it's employees is that our work is completed in a timely manner. Additionally, we work for a kid friendly company, not many companies will allow you time off to attend school functions or to bring your kids to work. A1 Solar truly ROCKS! Our IT department works hard to keep us up and running at all times. Our Regional Sales manager and our Regional Operations manager are simply awesome! We all work as a team. Our motto is "Teamwork makes the Dream Work." Additionally, they encourage us to further our education, the more we know, the more we can bring to the company. My boss has motivated me SOOO much, that I even went back to school.

In all honesty, I truly believe that bad reviews are posted by disgruntled ex-employees.

Cons

I'll re-post when I have something to complain about. :)

Advice to Management

I content with the way things are changing. Let's keep moving in the right direction and make A1 Solar Power the #1 solar company!

"a lot of people have worked really hard for not a lot-and are going to be shown the door"

Current Employee - Misc in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Misc in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

interesting industry-decent company size-not too small, not too big

Cons

new investors are going to buy in and probably be too arrogant, put in all their people, and at the expense of knowledgable 'old' people, and they will probably later regret it. but in the interim, there will be a lot of unnecessary pain endured, not just the necessary pain

Advice to Management

dont change things just for changes' sake; change the bad; keep the good

5. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We getting much help from our co workers which make us more efficient

Cons

No benefits for employees but thanks for adding PTO

Advice to Management

Hire more professional employees

"Don't expect HR to ever listen to their employees"

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the solar industry has been a fun way to spend my day working if you ignore the pay you are compensated with.

Cons

If you ever have an issue with the company, it is a worthless effort to contact HR. They rarely reply to your emails and never answer the phone (the voice mail is always full). Constant promises of improvement but it's just to bide time so they can run on their business is as usual model. They spend too much money flying upper management around from branch to branch when there is very little benefit that comes from the visit. Don't expect to get a competitive wage with this company, your first offer is going to be your only offer - unless you consider coupons from Restaurant.com to be an added perk to your employment. Never expect a wage increase to compliment the increase increase in living. Extra effort is rewarded with more responsibility but never with a raise. Never expect to be treated like a human being as an employee in this company. Do expect to be treated as an easily dismissed and replacable investment.

Advice to Management

Stop laying off people so you can stay under the 100 employee mark. All employees know the company does this to avoid having to provide health insurance for them.

7. "The future."

Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

I have been working here for three months. I come from a corporate heavy background at the age of 23. I worked at Honda Coporate financial services, and many would think Honda was an amazing job; however, it was , but I can truly say I enjoy waking up each day to help each customer than I did at Honda. I've had the great opportunity to learn a lot from my Director of Finance & my manager in the finance department here at A1. When I first started working at Honda & had to learn on my own by sitting in front of a computer for two weeks straight & 8 hours each day. It was not the easiest & most enjoyable job. My first week at A1 Solar I was able to learn so much that I was excited each day to come in. I was able to asks many questions, & was instructed so well to this point with such great patience & joy. I still come into work with a great student mentality & excitedly learning each day. I am able to call customers in Spanish/English to help them understand every bit of financing that they are being provided: therefore, they feel they are loved by each member no matter where they are located. David Malka can be described as a "tough" person; however, I truly understand his vision & passion for his company. I enjoy every challenge he has set upon me these last three months to make things happen. It excites me to say "bring it on;" therefore, I can take each challenge down to help the company grow. I enjoy going out to lunch with each one of my co-workers regardless of what department they are in. A1 solar power has a great vision & great growing opportunity. I can only imagine the future.

Cons

Some people dress to casual, & as a corporate office I strongly believe that we should lead by example by our presence & work ethic. Its obvious in some employees that they are there for their check; not to truly help the company.

Advice to Management

I truly enjoy that our executives work just as hard as we do. I truly feel that everyone is equal in the company. I truly enjoy every challenge that my director, manager, and excutives ask from me. I'd ask to hire people with passion & heart to help their company. People that lead by example & motivate others to become greater, and also not be afraid to let go of employees that No longer show passion.

"Cockroaches are treated better than what people get at this company!"

Pros

The endless supply of coffee. You will need it!

Cons

There are zero employee benefits. No sick days, personal days, vacation days, medical insurance or any other kind of benefits. You get what the legal holidays are only and then they try to make you feel like they did something great by letting you have that day off. Upper management observes their holidays and takes plenty of vacation time knowing that they are all paid for off of the backs of their drone-like employees. You will get very low pay with an overload of work. The people who do their jobs are always expected to do more with no added compensation. Those who don't do their jobs are given awards for their non-contributions to the betterment of this company. They don't value the people who struggle to help the company succeed. They value the money they make from your sweaty back.

Advice to Management

Give your awards to employees that actually deserve them. Try not to make your employees feel like they're doing something wrong if they need to take a day off. Fire the people who harass and bully good employees. Hire competent people for key positions instead of those you hire with no experience or knowledge of how a department should be run. Acknowledge it when one of your drones says good morning instead of snubbing your nose at them.

"Designer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice office and nice bathrooms

Cons

dont expect a raise, not even after a year. they downgraded everyone's title. I went from being an engineer to being a designer.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of evaluating the performances of your employees. The wrong people are in the high chairs.

"Life Changing"

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A1 Solar is a great place to work! The people who work here are wonderful: intelligent, ambitious, motivated, and perhaps most important - FUN! The management team welcomes constructive feedback on business processes from every level of the organization. Additionally, A1 Solar invests a lot in their training and development team, which helps with personal and professional growth. It is very exciting to be part of such a fast growing company!!

Cons

None so far that I can see or have experienced