A123 Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 11, 2017

1.0
Peter W. Cirino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Supervisors, Process Techs, and Team Leaders all knowledgeable, easy to work for, and care about their people (in 5 reviews)

• Good middle management and many great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance out the window if the execs are going to miss the bonus rounds (in 4 reviews)

• Outcome of business is shared to only the top management (in 5 reviews)

1. "HR"

I worked at A123 Systems full-time

Pros

Is a constant struggle there never seems to end

Cons

Working for a company that nobody respects is always hard

Advice to Management

Nothing

2. "Plant is closed"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Livonia, MI

I worked at A123 Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a cool place to work. They allowed us to think creatively to find solutions to some pretty major production obstacles.

Cons

The plant is now closed due to not having a market in the United States. There wasn't much demand for lithium ion batteries for cars here.

Advice to Management

Find a better job. You no longer work for this company unless you want to go to China or Macedonia.

3. "Horrible company"

Former Employee - Production in Romulus, MI
    Former Employee - Production in Romulus, MI

I worked at A123 Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very few rules, little oversight

Cons

Do not care about their employees

4. "Worst company to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at A123 Systems (More than a year)

Pros

None None technology and maybe some colleagues

Cons

Intimidating and wastage of money and resources.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Manufacturing"

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Livonia, MI

I worked at A123 Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, fast paced environment. There are a lot of very smart dedicated professionals accomplishing the impossible every day. Operators to Mid/Upper Level Managers are great people, friendly, and foster teamwork and genuinely want to do a good job for the right reasons.

Cons

New upper manager in operations does not understand the principles of TPS, namely Respect: "We respect others, make every effort to understand each other, take responsibility and do our best to build mutual trust" The lack of respect by this individual is causing a lot of good people to look for greener pastures. I would not have thought it possible to turn a 5 star job into a 0.05 so quickly.

Advice to Management

Need to fix the problem before it's too late and there is no one left. If the last 4 1/2 months are any indicator, the future does not look very bright, and will diminish the last 6 years of effort to get where you are.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at A123 Systems full-time

Pros

Working with the technical (non-management) team. It used to be a fantastic place to work up until about 2014. The intelligence, energy, devotion of the team was inspiring. We created something new and exciting and built a company out of technology from MIT. We built plants in China and Michigan and became a world-wide player in the battery world. We went through an IPO and became a public company.

Cons

Where do I begin? The newer management has destroyed the morale of A123. A123 is a shell of its former self. Current management here in Waltham is atrocious and mean spirited. HR is lazy and completely useless and always sides with management (as expected). Management has let go or forced out loyal and talented long-term people (with no severance) who knew the technology inside and out and replaced them with low wage Chinese nationals. This may be orders from the new Chinese ownership who bought the company during the bankruptcy. The benefits are horrible. No matching 401k in the 14 year history of the company and the health benefits are far worse than what they were before bankruptcy. Other than a paycheck I am not sure why anyone would want to work here at A123. There is a very negative atmosphere and everyone talks about wanting to leave. The talented, hard working people who are here should look elsewhere if they are not already. There are much better places to work.

Advice to Management

For management in Waltham: Stop creating complaint files and instead, focus on the company, listen to your employees concerns and treat them better.

"Good working people, poor management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at A123 Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Smart and supportive crew, juicy technology.

Cons

BS management. Yielded to Wall street pressure and ramped up the mass production prematurely which led to the bankruptcy. Yet the failed management let go many engineers and got a promotion for themselves thanks to the endless wit of the new clueless Chinese owner.

Advice to Management

None. Management wouldn't listen anyway.

"A-247 is sweat shop driven by questionable management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Pros

At first it was fun to work there and they had allot of momentum and funding. The company had some great technology and in the beginning it was exciting to work there. Our government gave A123 hundreds of millions of dollars to build a plant and develop the technology in order to provide lower cost batteries at a reasonable cost. At the time, we did not mind working 60 to 70 hours a week because we really thought we were going to make a difference. Then the company went public and the Wall street pressure started to build.

Cons

Unfortunately Executive management thought they were a software company and could solve there quality problems with a software patch sent over the internet. That strategy led them to a $60 million recall and eventually bankruptcy. The executive team gave themselves raises and hefty bonuses with golden parachutes before they announced their quality problems and they proceeded to go through bankruptcy. The company got sold to the Chinese and in their infinite wisdom they kept majority of the executives that drove them into bankruptcy. With that said expect to be driven hard with little reward or recognition. The good old boys club thrives at this company and if your not in the inner circle you wont.

Advice to Management

Taking major risks to meet your short term numbers is not the way to long term success.

"Worst Experience of my life."

Current Employee - Production Operator in Romulus, MI
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Romulus, MI

I have been working at A123 Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Its a check..
    - Gave me a job when I didn't have one

Cons

- No leadership
    - Company lacks integrity / morals
    - You feel like you are nothing but a number.
    - Required to work endless hours went production demands went up.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like a people not just a number. Without your employees you wouldn't have a job your self.
    I'm not a disgruntled worker, I just want to send out a warning to people who will work here in the future..... don't get comfortable they will cut the ties from you in a heart beat.... NO LOYALTY TO THEIR EMPLOYEES!!!!!

"great technology bad management"

I worked at A123 Systems full-time

Pros

great technology. great systems capabilities. smart people in R&D. Great finance organization. crappy board and ownership

Cons

poor operational effectiveness. High cost. management biding time looking for next opportunity. place going nowhere

Advice to Management

get out while you have a chance