A2 Hosting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Bryan Muthig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Awesome co-workers and leadership team. Always improving and trying to make us a better team.

- Competitive compensation and affordable benefits. Excellent 401k plan, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Accident insurance. By far, one of the best perks the company offers!

- Quarterly Bonuses!

- Help is always available when needed, you're never ostracized for not knowing how to solve a problem right away.

- Endless opportunities for company paid training and professional development.

- No Micromanaging!

- Great team environment, my shift is a very cohesive team where everyone pulls their weight.

- Work / Life balance is #1

- Open door policy

- Management is always willing to take constructive criticism

- Generous PTO policy and management is very understanding when life happens and you have to leave early or take a day off due to illness or family emergencies.

Cons

- Written policies are hard to come by and that can make it hard for new employees to adjust to our way of doing things. Ongoing training classes would be an improvement as well.

- Communication between management and L1 could be improved, this is common in growing companies as everyone is very busy supporting all the new customers.

- Break policy is minimal, two 5 minute breaks as needed and a 30-minute lunch. Most companies I've ever worked for provide two 15's, but that's hardly a con since you get to work from home.

- Chronic understaffing is mostly due to the explosive growth the company is going through, which is understandable, but it does put a lot of stress on just a handful of employees that have to take the brunt of call volume during certain periods. The growth of the company isn't going away any time soon.

- Phone calls are sometimes difficult to handle due to the lack of internal procedure. You can't just ticket every customer, it's not fair to them or the support team.

- Recently there has been a push for more Quality Assurance, it sounds great, but when you have little procedure in place as it is, how exactly do they plan on judging the quality of your work?

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a great job all things considered. We are a growing company and there's going to be growing pains as we move forward and continue to demolish the competition. Your staff truly care about doing a good job.

I think hiring top dev talent and sysadmins are going to be key going forward for the upper levels of the company, but don't be afraid to promote from within and train your employees to be the best at what they do.

I have a very positive outlook for the future.

"Revolving Door Hiring"

Former Employee - Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Support Specialist

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working from home can be nice

- They tend to be understanding if you're unable to work a shift or an emergency comes up

- Some of the shift leads are nice and helpful

Cons

- You have to work for 90 days before you qualify for benefits; coincidentally, I was fired at the end of my 90 day period. This seems to happen to a lot of people. Funny how that works.

- High turnover rate, probably because of the above. You constantly hear that "A2 is Always Hiring," probably because they hire people then fire than after 90 days repeatedly to save costs on paying benefits to their workers.

- Staffing issues; on one of my shifts we had someone leave, and their position wasn't replaced over a 2 month period. Meaning we were down a person on that shift for 2 months and had to bear more work.

- Speaking of staffing issues, new employees will be expected to work weekends, which tend to be staffed minimally and thus creates more stress for workers on those shifts.

- The sales team is staffed minimally, so often you'll be forced to take calls and questions on Sales issues, something you're not trained in.

- The internal support network is virtually non-existent; L2s are often too busy to assist, and even if they can assist half they time they'll get snotty with you and won't help. It does not feel like a helpful working team environment at all.

- A lot of misleading landing pages set up by the marketing team exclusively for SEO purposes, that promise customers thing that are often unreasonable (for example, dedicated hosting for a specific type of CMS on shared hosting plans that can barely handle that CMS if at all). As frontline support you bear the brunt of dealing with customers who feel like they've been mislead

- Training is extremely minimal; was almost entirely focused on how to use the ticketing system and about cPanel. Nothing about how to work on the phone, which sucks if you've never done that before as it can be very stressful and demanding

- 99% of the focus is on Linux and cPanel, but you're still expected to field questions and support for Plesk and Windows issues

- Because of how the workflow is set up, you often have co-workers giving incorrect/wrong information to a customer, who you will have to deal with later.

- Most customers are nice, but there's a lot of really needy and rude customers. Management is often too preoccupied to assist you with them so you'll need to bear with a customer screaming at you.

- Also because of how the workflow is set up, there's no way to get past a ticket/issue you have no way of how to resolve, so you'll get behind on work and that hurts whatever metrics management looks at

- Incredibly vague expectations for employees.

- A bunch of typical tech company cultural problems; smug know-it-all-ism when you ask for advice on something you don't know about (especially if it's about Windows, a lot of smug jokes from Linux dorks and nothing constructive), some casual racism and jokes about people with disabilities here and there

Advice to Management

Give concrete expectations and clear expectations to your employees instead of saying vague things about "metrics." Also, stop with the hiring and firing people after 90 days business, it's really transparent and sleazy.

A2 Hosting Response

Jul 18, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience, that is certainly not what we want or expect for our Team Members. While it is true that A2 is hiring, that is because we are growing significantly... More

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Linux Support Analyst II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Linux Support Analyst II in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Management I have ever worked with.

Cons

You will never find anything parallel to A2 anywhere :( You become A2 addicted !!

"Amazing Team"

Former Employee - L1 Support Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - L1 Support Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good people.

Cons

Client's can get a bit obnoxious.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff, they are your number 1 asset.

"Couldn't be more happy working anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers that are very friendly and would go the extra mile to assist you, fun positive environment, your voice will be herd when you have ideas to suggest for changes! Also flexible on work schedules!

Cons

I haven't seen any cons working here!

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

"Excellent Working Team Environment"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in College Station, TX

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Privately Owned, not owned by EIG.

1. Excellent Team Environment.
    2. Excellent training that you will take with you for the rest of your career.
    3. Valuable experience dealing with customers via phone chat and emails.
    4. Recognition for hard work.
    4. Great Health Benefits
    5. 401K matching etc.
    6. Work from home

Cons

1. If some people slack off or are not quite up to speed you may have to work a little harder.
    2. Working from home requires self discipline. That can be hard for some people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Excellent Work! Don't Sell to the Evil EIG.

7. "Horrible working environment."

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time

Pros

They pay you, that's about it.

Cons

Constant DDoS attacks, pushy management, pushy co-workers, pushy customers. Constant issues come up.

Advice to Management

Sell to EIG.

8. "work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Polite people do work here

Cons

Little sense of urgency in serving customers. Since ownership won't staff up, it gets chaotic and customers get pissed off.

Advice to Management

see above

"It's OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at A2 Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with industry veterans from home, and they do provide decent health, dental and optical insurance. They offer a 401K and a few other perks like performance bonuses every quarter.

Cons

You use your own equipment, pay for your own Internet, and end us with less PTO and pay than with other employers. The work is not load balanced, so if your colleagues are not self-motivated you end up doing all of the work.

Advice to Management

Stop selling shared hosting. It is a diminishing return.

"firing is the new understanding!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at A2 Hosting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

if you keep your head down and get lots of responses, you will be fine, get bonuses in fact over people trying to actually fix things!

Cons

told to respond over fixes
    little to no training (thats ok, you won't need it for responses!)
    management has become more and more fractured over the years (5 until today I have heard it will change, we are hiring more people, etc, etc, etc, basically feel lied to on many fronts)
    lipservice is the name of the game / take what they say at face value in regards to health matters

Advice to Management

seriously, its time to look at yourself using the same microscope you have put every fired employee under, and stop with the constant vauge threats

do you want low morale?
    cuz thats how you get low morale....