AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Condon

Pros
  • Good place for work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Pay is good, benefits are good, most coworkers are great folks and all share the same frustrations with the company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No consistency - upper management needs to figure out what they want and stick with it (in 13 reviews)

• Rigid dress code - for no reason apparent to anyone (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good opportunites for advancement"

Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers take a proactive approach to helping employees fulfill their potential. Meetings with your manager's manager, learning and development classes, goal setting, personal development plans.

Cons

I really cannot think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Command and control CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recognizes the need to change and innovate.

Cons

Old school, top down management style that doesn't realize it's demotivating. Over values left brain thinking at the expense of getting the best thinking from a diverse mix of working styles.

Advice to Management

None

"Scraping bottom"

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Average salary and benefits, but below Bay Area standards.

Cons

If you have no experience, people skills or ability to lead, AAA will give you a VP position. Management has no clue what's going on. Sure, they have grand ideas and attempt to roll out big projects, but they have no idea what it takes to actually execute those projects. Why? Because they don't talk to, listen to or respect their employees.

This used to be a great place to work. Employees were treated with respect and everyone worked on a unified vision. Now it's a sinking ship. Management has their heads so high in the clouds and their noses so high in the air, they have no idea what's happening on the ground floor.

They so desperately want to be Google. All they're missing is the talent and the soul. They still operate under the assumption that butts in seats equals productive work. You can't be a forward thinking company when your ideas are stuck in the past. Get with the times!

Sure, the CEO got his shiny new office space to shorten his commute. Unfortunately, at the rate the company is going, he'll soon be the only one in the office.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Talk to them. Listen to them. Hire managers with actual skills and experience. The current crop is the worst! They have no clue what's going on with their work force and no idea how to lead them.

If you want to be Google, then do it in practice, not theory. Give your employees the room to perform their jobs without unwitting micro-managers standing over them. There's a reason young talent isn't running to work for AAA.

You can only distract people with your shiny new office building for so long. Eventually they'll see through the smoke and mirrors and go running for companies that actually value their employees.

5. "Dispatch"

Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Clearfield, UT
    Current Employee - Emergency Dispatch Operator in Clearfield, UT

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth -benefit- opportunities - bonuses- great well known company

Cons

No consistency - upper management needs to figure out what they want and stick with it.

Advice to Management

Follow they with your promises

"Big Stress"

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people to work with.

Cons

Management is always stressed about numbers, very high turnover in management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, in front of them and behind their backs.

"Working with Finance"

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

Management actively solicit feedback from employees and business partners

Cons

Management ignores feedback from employees and business partners. I bet a conversation like the one below happens every month.

Business Partner: Finance I need you to give me better reports faster

Finance: The reports aren't good? Gee, you mean I need to fire another analyst?

Business Partner: No, I don't need you to fire another analyst. I need you to give me accurate reports on time so I can use them to make my business decisions.

Finance: I can't give them to you on time. I just fired an analyst last month and now I'm short staffed.

Business Partner: You have fired 10 analysts in the last year and the results haven't improved. Have you ever consider the possibility that the problem isn't with the analysts?

Finance: We haven't fired the right analyst yet! There are only a few left in the department though, so we'll get through them soon.

"Environment Becoming Toxic"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still a large population of quality and knowledgeable employees.

Cons

Honest feedback is discouraged and speaking truth to power may get you fired. After a brief period where management seemed to listen to employees, we are back to the oppressive environment that was the hallmark of Condon's early rule. With the threat of the union gone, management made up for the temporary holding of the line for bonus thresholds by jacking up levels in excess of 20% in one year. To all those sales reps who stood up at last year's Achiever Trip and talked about how the union wasn't needed this is the reward for your ignorant fealty. Management is now going after sales reps through ridiculously time consuming documentation reviews and writing up and disappearing employee's for relatively minor errors, in an attempt to replace professional salespeople on commission with low hourly wage employees. Topping it off are the extremely poorly designed rate increases to customers that have led to a big customer base bleed off. Employees are discouraged from giving feedback to upper management through coercion and outright intimidation if they dare speak their mind in a public setting. Honesty is a real problem. The problem starts at the top and permeates the organization.

Advice to Management

Fire Condon.

9. "Flatbed driver"

Pros

Good day , lots of overtime

Cons

The weather is the most rough thing , heat sucks just plain sucks and rain is even worse but if you can stay cool and warm and dry during the rain you are good

Advice to Management

Just keep focus on bad guys that could
    Train others bad habits

"AAA NCNU"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Pablo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Pablo, CA

I have been working at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable organization with a vision for the future of business needs. Very active within Northern California, Nevada and Utah.

Cons

A lot of change. Levels of communication from upper management to entry level position. No traditional training just on the job training from coworkers in departments.

"Bullying and hostile work environment from management"

I worked at AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah full-time

Pros

Nice space, attractive interior, many people are nice.

Cons

Leave your innovative and fresh ideas at home. If you want to go with the flow and not introduce edgy, forward-thinking ideas, this is the place for you. Don't tell the truth, don't speak up, or you will be targeted. Company is old-fashioned and behind the times when it comes to how it treats its employees and its technology. They print everything out and hand out multiple paper copies when employees could easily pull up documents online. Very wasteful organization.

Advice to Management

Train your managers, especially new, younger ones. They tend to be very disrespectful to older workers who know a thing or two. Arrogance and eye rolls are prevalent.