AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Reviews

Updated May 9, 2021

3.2
AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah CEO Tim Condon (no image)
Tim Condon
Pros
  • "Great Benefits, Strong Brand, Tons of Resources, Good Work Environment(in 24 reviews)

• "Dynamic company with a family atmosphere and a work life balance(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Everyone in upper management is only worried about themselves(in 18 reviews)

• "Poor leadership starting with the CEO Tim Condon(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Strong culture for public safety and emphasis on customer data security

Jul 30, 2020 - Cyber Threat Analyst in Walnut Creek, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership is serious about cyber security Managers care about their team and offer training and growth opportunities The company responded swiftly to the COVID pandemic and transitioned all employees remotely without anybody being laid off HQ is within walking distance of restaurants with weekly food truck rotation Sufficient availability in company parking garage

Cons

Open/collaborative seating. Some designated seats are in close proximity to heavy foot traffic, so there's a chance you won't have much privacy

4 people found this review helpful

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for leaving a review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with great people – we agree! We’re happy to hear that your time with us has been a positive experience!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing Company

May 3, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Reno, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Work Culture, Pay, Industry leader.

Cons

Sometimes not a lot of room to advance.

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad you listed our benefits and culture as a plus. We value our Team Members and work to ensure they feel empowered to both grow on the job and share their input. This supports our strategy to develop our Team Members and promote from within to ensure we have a pipeline of leaders to serve our 6+ million Members. If you feel comfortable sharing more about your experience, please email us at people@norcal.aaa.com or feel free to reach out to HR to discuss.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Difficult to maintain a positive outlook

May 9, 2021 - Insurance Sales Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, PTO, 401K match, work from home

Cons

Bonus structure has changed 4 times from my start date. Seniority does not matter with shift bids, only the numbers you put up. If you are willing to work until 9:00PM, you will have the option for weekends off. Now forced to offer the new Smart Home alarm system on every call or you're threatened to be written up. Not the easiest thing to offer when they have to run credit. Misrouted calls are far beyond anything I have encountered with previous employers. You can have days with 10 or more customer service transfers. A good portion of long term employees tell you how great AAA once was, and how it's progressively getting worse. It is extremely difficult to maintain a positive mentality throughout the day.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company that does not value their people

May 9, 2021 - Dispatcher in Clearfield, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent enough for the job Insurance benefits are decent It’s not necessarily a “hard” job

Cons

Terrible leadership Overworked and undervalued employees No advancement unless you’ve been there 5+ years, they don’t care about any education or previous experience

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A Mere Shadow of His Former Self.

Jan 5, 2021 - Retail Sales Agent in Antioch, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

AAA still has a strong name brand, and bits of culture left from the remnants of what it once was. They offer great benefits, tuition reimbursement, and tons of resources such as flyers, business cards, laptops, ear pieces, and cellphone stipends to set you up for success. Co workers are amazing to work with, and the tenured agents who survived/ or decided to stay after AAA's restructure, are fountains of knowledge. During training you start off at $23, and left on your own to build your clientele upon going live.

Cons

Constant changes are being made, that are gradually pushing the tenured agents into retirement, resignation, or giving up their renewal book of business to accept their new retail compensation plan. After training, new agents earn 7% on new business, or $15 per hour, generally whichever is higher. It isn't impossible to reach, except that the call center gets all incoming calls and online quotes first.. There's no renewal commissions, so new agents don't feel invested in their work, or have any real incentive to stay at the company any longer than a year, or retain customers for that matter (all leading to high employee turnover). Older agents are constantly complaining about how good the company USED to be, the trips they USED to take, and how it all changed since Tim Condon implemented his socialist business model. Apart from the benefits, it's no better than working under an agency owner as a producer.

10 people found this review helpful

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate that you listed benefits as a pro. Change is constant, and we are focused on creating innovative products and services to help our Members Outsmart Life as their needs change. We know this is a big job, and we benchmark our pay and benefits so that they are competitive. If you feel comfortable sharing additional feedback, please email us at people@norcal.aaa.com to discuss.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to work for

Apr 17, 2021 - Sales Representative in Clearfield, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and ok pay. Great supervisors and they give you the time off when you need it.

Cons

Having to adhere to strict schedule everyday.

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re happy to hear that your time with us has been a positive experience!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work.

Apr 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

It has great benefits. Opportunities to move up in company.

Cons

I can't think of any.

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate that you listed benefits and career opportunities as a pro. We’re happy to hear that your time with us has been a positive experience!

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

F for AAA

Feb 27, 2021 - Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers and nice offices

Cons

Management has been on a protracted battle to worsen pay and benefits. Every year's compensation package has included take backs and the latest thing is that commissions are now being threatened with Claw Backs (actual management term) for even minor documentation issues. I cannot tell you how de-moralizing this activity and terminology is. Management should know better, but the communication from the top would be non-existent were it not for this caustic type of wording. The threat of Unionization is back, so we've seen some rollbacks on the continued onslaught recently. These will assuredly disappear again if the reps don't follow through on the threat. Very sad, since it should never have come to this.

7 people found this review helpful

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review and are disappointed to hear about your experience. As a company known for doing the right thing, we take pride in the level of service and care we provide to our Members and Team Members. We value our Team Members and work to ensure they feel empowered to share their input. If you feel comfortable sharing, please email us at people@norcal.aaa.com or feel free to reach out to HR to discuss.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Only left b/c Agent Comp Package changed

Mar 29, 2021 - Insurance Agent in Carson City, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

Trusted name, marketing is simple

Cons

Comp plans became convoluted for Agents.

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review. We aim to build a total rewards package of compensation, benefits and paid time off that offers competitive compensation for our Team Members creating value for our Members every day. In order to ensure we are offering competitive pay and benefits, we benchmark our benefits and assess our pay. We value our Team Members and work to ensure they feel empowered to share their input. If you feel comfortable sharing, please email us at people@norcal.aaa.com.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely not worth it

Oct 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good people there, and the company does, overall, have a good mission.

Cons

Whatever you think you'll get out of working at AAA, it's not worth your spirit, your sanity, and your soul. AAA somehow combines all the worst traits of old-school corporate America (callousness, old boys-ism, lack of transparency) with the worst traits of a start-up (cheapness, lack of direction). Employees are ranked by seniority, and constantly reminded of their station in the pecking order. The worker ants are expected to question nothing, and they're last to learn important company news (if at all). When asked to share their opinions, worker ants know it's best to stay quiet—this is a company where you leave your whole self safe at home. To say it's a culture of fear is an understatement. The lack of warmth is complemented by a lack of direction, as business priorities and staffing change constantly, for no apparent reason. Reorganizations are frequent and handled poorly, those left behind as traumatized as those cut loose. This contributes to workplace politics that would make Caesar's Rome look like a kumbaya circle. The unchanging constants? Relentless focus on the bottom line, unutterable cheapness, and a complete lack of trust in employees. They're right to be scared: the dog that gets kicked again and again is bound to bite, eventually. I wouldn't wish a job here on my worst enemy.

9 people found this review helpful

AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate that you listed Team Members and our company mission as a pro. We are disappointed to hear about your experience. We value our Team Members and work to ensure they feel empowered to both grow on the job and share their input to shape the Team Member experience. We understand that keeping the lines of communication open are essential to our leaders and our goal to transform AAA for the next century. We welcome your feedback to help us better understand your experience and would encourage you to reach out to us at people@norcal.aaa.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 352 Reviews