AAMC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
AAMC President and CEO Darrell G Kirch
Darrell G Kirch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance environment" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great benefits, great internal movement potential, flexible work schedules for work-life balance" (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is also an espoused value that is not respected - you are expected to be on email and responsive at all times" (in 6 reviews)

• "Limited opportunities for advancement within" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good place to work at"

Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Specialist

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in a nice area. Open office setting.

Cons

Loud coworkers. Supervisors don't like talking about professional development. Not the type of company that you see job growth unless you leave and come back with greater experience.

2. "Its okay"

I have been working at AAMC full-time

Pros

Benefits, location, work hours, flexibility

Cons

Lack of growth , no promo

3. "??????"

Former Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, except that you have to wait for certain time periods to use them.

Cons

There is no room for growth even when they say that it is. Lies.

Advice to Management

Some senior directors tend to be control and see themselves above you.

"Chaos, bullying and ambiguity reign. Steer clear for at least a year..."

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Some jobs might be decent as long as you are a very junior person and have little contact with upper management.

Cons

The association is going through a change in CEO in the middle of next year. Should the newly appointed CEO have any business sense, he will take a long hard look at the bevvy of Chiefs (17 in total...seriously) and assess not only their effectiveness on paper but their leadership skill and the culture of their clusters. (Yes, the AAMC calls it's divisions clusters, which is actually quite fitting in many cases.)

Decision making is sad and lacks established, written process, which leads to a lot of in-fighting, positioning and people taking advantage of their relationships with leadership rather than data, evidence, reasoning and collaboration.

The core values espoused are not lived - communication, collaboration? Please. The organization would be better off not publishing any core values and owning their passive-aggressive culture up front. Hard work and dedication are rewarded with more work, and high-performers are often targeted and bullied by others who are empowered by the culture of conflict-aversion and bullying. Work-life balance is also an espoused value that is not respected - you are expected to be on email and responsive at all times.

Hypocrisy is everywhere and accountability is scarce. Unless you are a Senior Director or above, don't expect that your voice matters.

Advice to Management

Clean house and remove leaders who are not leaders. Establish clear decision-making protocols. Stop counting on email and the intranet to communicate with employees and start to actually talk (AND LISTEN) to them like people. Clear is kind. Unclear is unkind.

"Poor leadership, HR is too prescriptive with the results of DISC assessment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do have excellent benefits for a non-profit.

Cons

Leadership is catty and there is lots of back biting. Ethically dubious use of internal resources against employees. Saw plenty on gender-based discrimination. Asked for help but HR could not be bothered.

Advice to Management

HR: You can let DISC be your guide, but consider that it might be your job to intervene when employees have kept the faith and used it's advice and still are having issues.

You should give leadership training in ethics.

Jan 31, 2019 – AAMC

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We apologize that this was your experience while at AAMC. DiSC, like the other trainings and assessments we offer, is not meant to be a... More

"Good intentions, good people, growing pains"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A true mission to improve medical education. Supports a broad and diverse approach (too broad?) Intelligent and motivated staff.

Cons

Generous funding and overly broad mission has lead to some uncontrolled growth and spending one wouldn't see at a for-profit organization. Not waste, per se, but too many feet in too many pools. Staff experience can vary wildly based on which "island" one lands on.

Advice to Management

Continue to solidify leadership and don't be afraid to challenge all the existing silos as we move away from our "Mom & Pop Shop" history. "We've done it this way for years" is not an irrefutable argument against change.

"Train Your Managers to be Leaders!"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very very competitive

Cons

the support you receive is dictated by your boss. if you get the right boss your experience will be awesome. Otherwise, no bueno!

Advice to Management

Mandatory manager training!!! All newly hired and promoted managers need to be trained to lead. Being a subject matter expert doesn't make a person a leader. Being a manager does not make you a leader.

Jan 31, 2019 – AAMC

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive the support you needed during your time at the AAMC. We employ many capable and successful supervisors, but we... More

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great work flexibility, and collaborative environment

Cons

Lots of initiatives and a lot of employees are generally very busy.

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! We’re so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at AAMC and have taken advantage of our extensive benefits package. Since the AAMC is a... More

"What no one will say"

Former Employee - Program Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Program Support Specialist

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and most employees are nice.

Cons

Unequal promotion opportunities. What Mo one will directly speak to, but everyone knows is that there is a huge disparity in Black women and promotional opportunities. There is a sea of Black women in lower level jobs, serving as Administrative Assistants. There have been some White admins that have come and it’s mot long before they have been promoted up the food chain. It’s astonishing. I can remember at least four that were the only White admins and all were promoted to high paying jobs.

Advice to Management

People see the disparity and take note. Think about your six-figure jobs when you quibble over a 4% raise for your employees that can’t afford to live in the town they work in.

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re happy to hear positive feedback about the benefits we offer our employees. We apologize you’ve had a negative experience at the AAMC. The AAMC is committed... More

10. "Big place, that knows what they are doing"

I worked at AAMC full-time

Pros

Tons of resources, competitive salaries

Cons

A little political at times

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

Thank you for your feedback, we’re so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at AAMC! We work hard to make sure that employees have the necessary resources to be successful. Professional... More