AAMC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
AAMC President and CEO Darrell G Kirch
Darrell G Kirch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance environment" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great benefits, great internal movement potential, flexible work schedules for work-life balance" (in 26 reviews)

"Client Support Specialist"

I have been working at AAMC part-time

Pros

Great co-workers, great environment, open space, a lot of opportunities to show case your talents.

Cons

Callers may make you mad with their lack of knowledge.

"Good intentions, good people, growing pains"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A true mission to improve medical education. Supports a broad and diverse approach (too broad?) Intelligent and motivated staff.

Cons

Generous funding and overly broad mission has lead to some uncontrolled growth and spending one wouldn't see at a for-profit organization. Not waste, per se, but too many feet in too many pools. Staff experience can vary wildly based on which "island" one lands on.

Advice to Management

Continue to solidify leadership and don't be afraid to challenge all the existing silos as we move away from our "Mom & Pop Shop" history. "We've done it this way for years" is not an irrefutable argument against change.

"Train Your Managers to be Leaders!"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very very competitive

Cons

the support you receive is dictated by your boss. if you get the right boss your experience will be awesome. Otherwise, no bueno!

Advice to Management

Mandatory manager training!!! All newly hired and promoted managers need to be trained to lead. Being a subject matter expert doesn't make a person a leader. Being a manager does not make you a leader.

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great work flexibility, and collaborative environment

Cons

Lots of initiatives and a lot of employees are generally very busy.

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! We’re so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at AAMC and have taken advantage of our extensive benefits package. Since the AAMC is a... More

"What no one will say"

Former Employee - Program Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Program Support Specialist

I worked at AAMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and most employees are nice.

Cons

Unequal promotion opportunities. What Mo one will directly speak to, but everyone knows is that there is a huge disparity in Black women and promotional opportunities. There is a sea of Black women in lower level jobs, serving as Administrative Assistants. There have been some White admins that have come and it’s mot long before they have been promoted up the food chain. It’s astonishing. I can remember at least four that were the only White admins and all were promoted to high paying jobs.

Advice to Management

People see the disparity and take note. Think about your six-figure jobs when you quibble over a 4% raise for your employees that can’t afford to live in the town they work in.

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We’re happy to hear positive feedback about the benefits we offer our employees. We apologize you’ve had a negative experience at the AAMC. The AAMC is committed... More

6. "Big place, that knows what they are doing"

I worked at AAMC full-time

Pros

Tons of resources, competitive salaries

Cons

A little political at times

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

Thank you for your feedback, we’re so glad to hear you are enjoying your time here at AAMC! We work hard to make sure that employees have the necessary resources to be successful. Professional... More

"Reconsider or at least negotiate higher pay"

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are full time you will have a wide variety of things to choose for from your benefits package, you will also have flexibility in your schedule after the first 6 months to change your schedule or work from home as needed. Also most of this company is small focused teams, within larger departments. You work closely with the same group of people every day in an open workspace and management/HR gets it right when balancing skills, talents and temperaments within these small teams.

Cons

Do you like being promoted? Let that go. You won't be off of your skills, certifications, degrees, experiences or tenure at the job. Promotions are almost non-existent. Title changes are nonexistent.

Do you like creating solutions? Let that go, company is about maintaining/maintenance of their mission not actually improving it or building their legacy with something new. New ideas are not welcome and will not be approved.

Do you like endless, meaningless, pointless meetings that eat up the limited time in your day to actually accomplish your work tasks during working hours? You're in the right place!

Do you have a rich appreciation for being micromanaged?

Do you look forward to performance reviews that will NOT result in assured annual raises, regardless of how much you have increased your workload in special projects, initiatives or absorbing others opportunities after they have left from the stress?

Do you want your pay to be correlative to your work responsibilities? If this doesn't matter to you and you are okay being approached to negotiate your work life balance for understaffed teams where people have quit 4-5 months after being hired - then yes, you should join this place as an employee.

Do you care about

Advice to Management

If you care you will have the hard conversation about why your turnover for this company is so high. You have some teams at 33% turnover for new hires who have been there less than 12 months. People are excited to join for benefits and pay and even then HR will inconvenience individuals with their clerical errors and mistakes delaying checks by 3 months, pausing insurance randomly and withholding pay over discrepancies of their own records.

People are happy to leave and that should not be so, working for this company should not be a test of endurance but an opportunity for growth and learning.

Oct 18, 2018 – AAMC

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! The wellness of our employees is very important to us and we strive to continuously improve the offerings in our benefits package to promote... More

"Wonderful people; toxic environment."

Pros

Competitive salaries, excellent benefits, remarkable work-life balance.

Cons

IT management's recent adoption of a 'co-sourcing' model has led to numerous IT roles being filled by (foreign & domestic) contract workers, giving rise to a conflicted organizational dynamic and a toxic work environment. In IT, morale could not be lower. Emphasis is on process over effectiveness -- having a measure is more important than whether that measure provides worthwhile insight. Personnel are considered to be readily interchangeable cogs. Many good people have left; many more have simply 'checked out'.

Advice to Management

It's a tragic coda for Dr. Kirch, who otherwise has admirably led the AAMC for over a decade. Sadly, many will remember him only for presiding over the dissolution of the IT department.

"People are jumping ship"

I have been working at AAMC full-time

Pros

Location - it's in Chinatown so it's convenient.

Cons

Everything. Heavy turnover. Nobody cares. The entire work group is unhappy and wants to leave if they haven't already. Leadership thinks things are working so they ignore concerns that are raised.

10. "A mission driven non-profit"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance. Great people and environment. Mission Driven.

Cons

Bureaucracy and red tape is quite prevalent and inhibits growth.

Advice to Management

Business strategy needs to be realigned.