AAPC Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

AAPC Publishing Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"I Love My Job at AAPC Publishing"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Lenexa, KS

Pros

I am a currently employee of AAPC Publishing. The work environment here is energetic and team oriented. We work with authors in the autism field across the globe. AAPC Publishing is a free-form environment with plenty of opportunities to have your voice be heard. The company culture is fantastic and senior management both lead by example and look after the team. Not only does the company strive for performance excellence, but does its best to ensure its employees and their families are well cared for. This isn't just a place to work for me, the comradery here makes it feel like an extension to my family.

Cons

Opportunities to travel (can be looked at as a pro or a con).

2. "Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Lenexa, KS

I worked at AAPC Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a network of good authors.

Cons

The company is terribly managed and lacks leadership and direction. I would not recommend working for this organization if one has a choice. The owner bought the company out of bankruptcy and has virtually raided the profits of the organization, and the company is half its size in terms of headcount from when he purchased the company 5 years ago. He either lays people off or does not backfill positions when people leave, and he constantly mentions pay cuts when he does not himself invest into the organization. The company is not profitable and struggles because of its lack of leadership. There is no organization chart, and nonperformers are rewarded and not punished. Hard workers are only rewarded with inheriting more work from those who are displaced from the company. You will not receive any merit increases, and the benefits are a joke. There is only 3 days of vacation awarded after 1 year of employment, and none during the first 6 months of employment. The company still uses Windows XP when Microsoft has decided to no longer support this operating system, and the owner will not invest in upgrading the network. There is tons of backstabbing and insecurity throughout the workplace because of the tension amongst the employees, and it all starts from the top of the organization, as the leadership exhibits these traits.

Advice to Management

Sell the company or liquidate.

3. "Don't Waste Your Time or Effort Here"

I worked at AAPC Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Respected authors in the field of autism. Could be a great company with lots of growth potential if owned and managed by the right people.

Cons

There is literally nothing good to say about this company. It is a total joke and a nightmare to work there. Ownership / Management is living in another reality. Company completely lacks any sign of ethics, intelligent leadership, procedures and processes. It's like they just woke up one day and decided to play store. The arrogance, abuse, laziness, and downright nutty behaviors that go on here is unbelievable to anyone who hasn't witnessed it firsthand. RUN, don't walk away from this place.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone who actually cares about autism. Seriously, you are doing a great disservice to your authors, to anyone challenged by autism, and to unsuspecting people looking for work.

"Verbal Abuse, Nepotism, and Rampant Turnover. Don't do it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I worked at AAPC Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really aren't any. This place is an absolute joke masquerading as a good cause. And one that isn't very good at making at money.

Actually there is one--If you work here you won't be fired. What will happen is that you will be ostracized and verbally abused to the point that you will want to quit--all so they won't have to give you a raise. Beware. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Cons

The lack of empathy or care shown for employees here is for absence of a better word--shocking. I continued to take on more and more responsibility throughout my time there only to be met with more and more instances of nepotism and verbal abuse--namely from the owner.

What I did see here was rampant turnover, finger pointing, management verbally bashing employees behind their back, workplace double standards based on popularity, employees pitted against each other, employees being told they're brainless, employees having doors shut in their faces (literally), a lack of any workplace structure, a bait-and-switch hiring process, and CONSTANT distractions including pets and children in the workplace.

I was never given a formal job description, orientation, or training of any kind (these are things that are a necessity at most normal employers)--only to be told repeatedly that I'm not doing my job despite my continuous efforts to improve my performance. Here is an almost direct quote from HR from the day I was hired regarding the employee handbook: "You can read this or not, I really don't give a damn."

Advice to Management

These people aren't qualified for the positions they are in. My advice would be to wake up and quit living in denial.

"The worst experience of my 15 year professional career!"

Pros

None...if I could rate it 0 stars it would have been to good

Cons

Management, rampant turnover, and a bait and switch hiring process

Advice to Management

Fire yourself

"Never, ever work here."

I worked at AAPC Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single one, which is really unfortunate because the mission of the company seemed good in the beginning.

Cons

Horrible leadership who would fire at least one person a month for completely insane reasons - they fired so many people during my tenure that they were flagged by the unemployment office. Lousy pay with no opportunity for advancement. Management had no clue what they were doing; it's a shock this place is still in business.

"Poor management = unhappy work environment"

I worked at AAPC Publishing full-time

Pros

Company is associated with some of the most notable professionals in the field of autism. You get a week off between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

Leadership micro-manages every person on staff and insists on doing things exactly the same way they were doing things 10 years ago. Employees are continually ridiculed when they attempt to better processes, and management -- the owner -- routinely fires employees on a whim. In the time I was employed there, the workforce changed over twice. In addition, when we were off between Christmas and New Years, the owner reprimanded the entire staff because we actually took it off. Be careful (if you decide to work for this company) and make sure you keep copious notes on your daily activities because you will at some point have to reference this information.

Advice to Management

Simple advice: Be respectful and stop verbally assaulting your staff.

"Great Family Environment"

I have been working at AAPC Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AAPC is a family run business that understands family obligations so they're very flexible with schedules. Generous benefits including full medical, dental and vision, generous with PTO and sick days, minimal contact with the outside public allows for a casual dress environment. AAPC is always looking to move forward within the industry to remain first so big things are always on the horizon.. we never run out of fun and exciting things to do!

Cons

Keep up or get left behind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

"Avoid this company at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The information they publish is helpful.

Cons

Very volatile environment. 80% turnover annually for at least the past several years.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.