AAPC Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Jason Vanden Akker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also, there is free lunch everyday which is a huge benefit (in 13 reviews)

• Work-life balance, decent benefits, free parking (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains, culture shift disruptions, historical baggage (in 4 reviews)

• I've grown to hate this place and the hostile work environment it creates (in 4 reviews)

1. "Pretty good, could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot to like about this company. They've been through a rough stretch and had to make some touch decisions but for the most part AAPC is a good company that rewards hard work. I really don't understand some of the comments in the negative reviews, especially comments about religious discrimination...it's all in your head, dude!

Pros:
    *Flexible office hours
    *Open PTO policy
    *Generous HSA contribution
    *High level of autonomy
    *Free lunch and soda fountain
    *Free coffee (see...they don't discriminate!)

Cons

*No 401k match
    *Location
    *Very high expectations
    *Dated tech
    *Outsource risk

"Problems ahead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at AAPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most the people who work there are great co-workers and work hard.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have a clue what really goes on inside the company. They never leave their offices and only care about themselves. There is little to no opportunity to ove up even when you work extremely hard and do a good job. I heard they have had multiple rounds of layoffs in 2017 and there is a lot of fear with those who still work there.

Advice to Management

Get off your butts and talk to your people, you say you want to innovate and do new things, but your results prove otherwise.

"CEO Literally Gave Me PTSD"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at AAPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a good team I worked with (not including the manager) and could get support when I needed it.

Cons

I literally got PTSD from working there. Seriously, that's what my psychologist says. It was such a stressful work environment, and so demanding, that I remember pulling off the road one morning and throwing up in a grocery store parking lot--and then continuing in to work. I was scared to take sick time off because managers would get upset--and the CEO was the worst of all. There was no mercy, even when I had plenty of PTO saved up.

I got in the habit of carry papers with me wherever I would go, because if I was walking around without them, the managers and CEO would question why you weren't working--and that includes when I needed to use the restroom or the cafeteria.

I've worked primarily at tech companies (before and after AAPC), and AAPC acted like it wanted to be a tech company: they had free lunches, a gym, etc. But it seemed to be more of a Baby Boomer's interpretation of a tech company; there was still a strict dress code, strict hours, and strict monitoring of the kitchen. It was like they wanted to say "we're a cool company with lots of perks", but was still run like an old-school, suit-and-tie corporation. Yes, they had a gym, but if you wanted to use it, you needed to come in early and stay late.

I eventually got laid off, with the explanation that I was getting paid too much. There was no warning, no announcement that layoffs were coming. Just showed up to work one morning and was sent packing, along with a handful of my coworkers--all of whom got the same explanation: they were paid too much.

Advice to Management

Simply this: treat employees like real people.

"Just when things seem to be going well..."

Former Employee - Educator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Educator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at AAPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice to have food onsite, some of the coworkers are awesome, remote working/flexibility, networking, education and its close to home.

Cons

Never know when you're going to be removed from the equation, fearful environment, cliquey, I'm fairly sure someone has a dart board they use to decide who gets to stay and those who don't. There are too many chiefs and not enough Indians, take a look at the common thread.

Advice to Management

If you provide a safe and open environment to discuss concerns, don't use information obtained there to basically push people out. It's hard to have a good attitude while your team is dismantled and then destroyed, morale is very low, that attitude can be a direct reflection of the constant "changes" that seem to have no rhyme or reason. These are people's lives you are messing with! How do you sleep at night?

"Great company culture doesn’t happen on its own"

Current Employee - Vice President Products in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Vice President Products in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AAPC has a dedicated team coming up with ideas to promote unity, elevate who we are, and downsize what we don’t want to be. We know nothing replaces having happy and fulfilled employees who feel that what they are doing matters. Under the P&L life blood of our company (which all lasting companies need) our root purpose and soul is nothing short of…. amazing---most of us are very honored, proud and grateful to belong here.

• We have elevated the career of our certified coders --- largely middle class women—to higher earnings, career advancement, and many with the freedom to work from home to raise their kids or retire with an income
    • We have created opportunity for healthcare communities to excel as a business, and in a small way, eased the burden of physicians to help them focus on their patients (and perhaps that energy was used to save someone you love).

We do it with every exam, every phone call, every educational and skill-based tool we develop and produce, every live event, blog, article, forum, and chapter meeting, every new idea, and all the love we put into it. Our employees make us awesome.

Our collective plans and take away action items to elevate our common goals, get people excited to be part of AAPC’s larger purpose, and kick butt is an ongoing process. The people who work at AAPC are committed to making this happen.

Cons

Like many companies managing baby-bloomers, Gen X, and Millennials, we are learning how to motivate each group differently and sometimes with less success than we want. For example, many Millennials love feedback-- lots of it. It’s how they know they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and that they are doing it well. This is complicated because we are endlessly turning on a dime to support the US healthcare marketplace….which is changing more quickly than our doctors can keep up. Bottom-line, AAPC is investing in newer, better and more effective ways to communicate when, where and how to meet everyone’s needs but we are not perfect at this and need to improve.

Advice to Management

We must continue to invest in our employees ---we just added unlimited an unlimited PTO policy -- what else can to implement to help our employees love working at AAPC? I'm excited to listen to our staff and help be part of finding out!

"AAPC is one of the Best Places to Work in Utah."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AAPC is a little known secret as one of the best places to work in the state. The work environment is positive and motivating with strong team values. It is ripe with opportunity for thoughtful, motivated, responsible individuals. The executive team brings an open and available feel to the office.There is genuine concern among the AAPC team to do everything possible to provide the best possible service to our members and improve their quality of life. Benefits are great, including competitive salary, unlimited PTO, incentives, shared Ski Utah Gold Passes etc. Very rewarding work with fun and creative people!

Cons

While the people and the work are rewarding, our office/facilities could use some design updates and improvements to improve the overall morale.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all you do!

7. "Loyal True Blue AAPC Emp"

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AAPC offers opportunity for learning, growth, and advancement. AAPC is an organization that is on the move and growing fast, creating an exciting and active experience with lots of new opportunities. AAPC is a entrepreneurial environment, where all levels roll up their sleeves and work on projects, but today also has the benefits you would see from a big corporation (just not all the corp red tape).

Cons

It is a very fast placed aggressive environment, so people who don't like that speed would not be happy. Those that like the speed and opportunity that comes with this environment will thrive and love it here.

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt and change as we grow. Try new things and help remind us, these are growing pains - change is good.

8. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive Work place, great management. Incentives are great, so many perks. Always getting feedback on how to grow as a team.

Cons

We are a growing company so there are struggles that come with that. but overall they are positive about pushing through struggles that come up.

"I love my job at AAPC."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the entrepreneurial spirit here and how everyone rolls up their sleeves to get the job done. I've been in large, bureaucratic companies in prior jobs and it's nice to be in a company that rewards employees who take risks and bring ideas to the table. The perks are nice, especially the free lunch and open PTO policy. Work/life balance is encouraged and supported by management. It's a very pragmatic, merit-based work environment. I plan to stay long term.

Cons

I sometimes hear complaints about the office location. For me, it's a convenient drive. Some people like to work in a sexy office space. In my opinion, I'd rather work in a functional environment and have more money allocated to salaries, bonuses and perks.

Advice to Management

Continue to administer and champion the employee survey and ensure employees know that executives and management have open door policies.

"Awful."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AAPC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Same as everyone else, soda machine, "gym" if you can call it that, clean towels in the shower and free sandwich/salad fixings for lunch (designed to keep you in your cubicle through lunch.

Cons

Front line employees are/were awesome, management does not seem to care much about morale or employee well-being, just the bottom line. I used to really like it here, but since my starting, many of the friends I have made (managers included) have been let go. I still speak with many of them, and still cannot figure out why many of them were let go. It seems like a cover up of sorts. They let them go and then provide them with a lame excuse as to why their position was "eliminated." They go through firing spurts where they will "eliminate" 10-20 employees at a time, very publicly and expect everything to be fine and dandy the next day. Sadly, I hope to have a new job within the next month or two. I've grown to hate this place and the hostile work environment it creates. I have always had high hopes for this place, but some things will never change. Best of luck to anyone applying for any position here, you'll probably last a good six months.

Advice to Management

It is so far gone, maybe just scrap the whole "sales" side of things, we'll most likely all benefit from finding places to work elsewhere.

AAPC Response

Feb 18, 2017 – President

Thank you for the review – we really appreciate it as we work to improve our organization. We’re disappointed to learn of your poor experience and welcome the opportunity to respond to your... More