AAR Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
AAR Chairman and CEO David P. Storch
David P. Storch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people and good middle management, it's a mid-sized company that acts like a small company, Senior management is insulated from the actual work (in 10 reviews)

• Great place to work if you like a quick pace company with many challenges (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • ve heard remarks from upper management that are borderline harassment and unappropriated for a workplace (in 17 reviews)

• Management has no respect for their employees (in 6 reviews)

"A&P Mechanic"

Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have a paycheck you can cash for goods and services.

Cons

Management, unhealthy environment and noise levels, carcinogens in the air, an us versus them mentality.

Advice to Management

Get out of your glass palace and do a day on the floor working on the aircraft. Fire the Assistant GM.

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Wanted to reach out, as phone is (630) 227-2074 here at HQ.

G-Man

"Good place for building experience on a resume....other than that, get out ASAP"

Current Employee - A&P Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - A&P Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AAR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Time off
    Insurance is okay.
    The requirement is 20 words, and I really have no other pros to say so I'm filling up space.

Cons

Pay
    Schedule
    Lack of leadership
    Morale
    Micromanagment
    Lack of experienced mechanics to learn from
    Time constraints and budget force leadership to rely on the few experienced individuals to carry the load while the inexperienced fall further behind and learn nothing.

Advice to Management

There's really nothing to say, because as they have proven time and time again, they listen to no one. Nothing changes. It has steadily gone downhill for the past 4 years and has made no strides in progress from an employee stand point. In about 10 years ALL their best employees will be gone to better and higher paying companies that are willing to compete and only then will AAR (maybe) change their business structure to retain their valued employees. By then it will be too late.

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for review, as been with the Company 7 years now, so call (630) 227-2074 to discuss if you want.

Let's keep 'em Flying everybody,

G-Man

"LOL this place is a cluster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 10's, lots Vets, pushes you do better yourself so you can leave for a better job.

Cons

place is full of miserable people. When I was ARMY aviation I wanted to do it forever. AAR made me get my masters so that I NEVER have to deal with an organization like it again.

Advice to Management

get a clue.

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Not sure how to reply, yet always open to trying to do my best. One item is the Veteran platform, as have worked hard on that.

"Be Advised"

Former Employee - Analyst in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some smart people that work there but all of them want to leave. Paid tend be be average

Cons

I wouldn't advise anyone to work here and will list out why:
    1. No on boarding
    2. No direction from any manager regarding goals or objectives
    3. A complete white boys club (preferably with direct relation) to get into management
    4. Culture is horrible, on my first day I had 5 people tell me I should leave as quick as possible

Advice to Management

No point in giving advice to a management team that doesn't listen

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Not sure how to respond, other than, please feel free to phone at (630) 227-2074. Thank-you.

G-Man

"Good for new A&P's, not Experienced A&P's."

Current Employee - A&P Technician in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - A&P Technician in Duluth, MN

I have been working at AAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a new A&P it's a great place to get the experience. Good benefits. Relaxed working atmosphere.

Cons

If your an experienced A&P you do not need to waste your time here. Since they cannot bring in or retain experienced mechanics they are now forcing overtime for long periods of time. People come to Duluth to get Airbus experience and leave ASAP. They have hired hundreds of people since opening their doors in 2012, it's a rotating door.

Advice to Management

You are running the operation so cheap that you are running it into the ground. It has so much more potential, but you are only concerned about profit at any cost. If you would bump up your pay by a bit to retain your experienced mechs, the place would not be tripping over itself.

Got it.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Wood Dale headquarters has some good amenities.
    - An on premises exercise room that is well equipped.
    - An excellent cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch at very reasonable prices.
    - A recently remodeled office with modernly equipped meeting rooms.

They have pizza, snacks and drinks to celebrate the end of a successful quarter.

Everyone is very nice to work with.

Some departments allow remote work a few days a week.

They do offer benefits, but nothing special. They also have a pretty generous bonus structure.

Cons

The company has been around a long time and shows with very archaic management styles. Also in many ways it’s very much an ol’ boys club and if you’re not on the inside you’re likely to be passed around. I’ve heard remarks from upper management that are borderline harassment and unappropriated for a workplace. Employees have been called idiots by management. Titles are thrown around among management. Everyone is a director or VP of something.

Employees are expected to work 9 hour days. Even if you have nothing to work on you are expected to stick around. Management is so concerned to see butts in chairs they will ditch out early and come back in or call just to make sure their employees are still in the office.

Management has no respect for their employees’ time. Meetings are juggled constantly. Sometimes expecting employees to come in early or stay late then eventually cancelling the meeting all together. Working weekends is also common is some departments.

There is a severe lack of leadership. Any true leader either has their authority handcuffed by upper management so they eventually leave or let go. There is so much turnover and restructuring that it's normal to have a new manager at least once a year (I've seen up to 4 times in a single year).

There is no employee engagement. There are team members that have very little or nothing to do at times. There is little done to challenge them or help grow their careers. People are brought onboard and then their skills are never fully utilized.

Because they deal with government agencies the company has some huge securities in place. It’s above and beyond anything I’ve dealt with to the point where you need to go through the help desk and get manager approval to install anything. Even if it’s critical for your role. Security by obscurity.

The company has entrenched themselves in a legacy oracle system. They are so deep in it that it would be too overwhelming to try to modernize it. This coupled with pulling resources from IT causes many headaches in new developments.

There is little to no training. The company has online courses you are required to take to cover ethics, and the organization’s history, but not much beyond that. I personally did not receive any training on the industry or on the projects I was working on until I raised a concern. Even then it was well after that knowledge would have been most useful.

In my position I’ve seen management treat sub-contractors very rudely. Expectations are unrealistic and when they are not met (not surprisingly) discussions get very heated. Very unprofessional.

The company wastes money. They are constantly making new acquisitions and out sourcing projects where they are paying way too much for the final product. The irony is that they could bring those projects in house from the beginning, pay a fraction of the cost, and get a better product. I never understood why they are opposed to investing in their current employees and infrastructure.

I saw the negative reviews before joining and thought it would be different for me since I was joining a brand new department. It was not. This is not a good place to build a career, period. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Take a good look in the mirror and clean house. There are way too many managers with VP titles that are not leading their employees, but are merely task masters.

Invest in your people with training, empowerment, benefits, challenges and meaningful work. Start by googling ‘Employee Engagement’ and go from there.

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for review & service. Been with the Company for over 7 years, so working to keep building career. If you would like to discuss more, just feel free to call me, as office is near the IT... More

"Pilot"

Former Employee - Pilot
    Former Employee - Pilot

I worked at AAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent rotational schedule, fair compensation.

Cons

Ancient, obsolete aircraft. Poor to nonexistent maintenance. Disorganized and ineffective training program.

Advice to Management

Improve aircraft maintenance. Retrain or fire racist, sexist employees.

Aug 19, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for guidance/review. Will keep driving the Av Mx item.

Blue skies,

"Going down the drain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at AAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Used to be a fun place to work.

Cons

Pathetic leadership, useless middle management, quality is just a buzz word, not a management goal. Used to be a great place that focused on customers. Those days are over

Advice to Management

Retire and let someone with leadership skills and business sense help out.

Aug 19, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Got it. Appreciate the time & review, as always will work harder to be #DoingItRight .

"Quality Tech"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Huntsville, AL

I worked at AAR (More than a year)

Pros

Very few to none, upper management is non functional.

Cons

Do what ever to pass it through QC

Advice to Management

LIVE UP TO THE TRUTH

Aug 19, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Got your review, & THX for taking time to post.

S/

Greg "G-Man" Dellinger
    (630) 227-2074

"No title necessary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grant, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grant, AL

I worked at AAR (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for any company is the people you meet and get to be around

Cons

Poor management, no business development. They try to go after projects that are way too big for the company. There needs to be a focus on filling the voids between small and very large companies.

Advice to Management

Be onsite and focus on the employees and utilize and market your skill sets and quit trying to compete with GD, Raytheon and other large companies

Aug 20, 2017 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for the review/dispatch. Very much appreciate the guidance on being that filament between large & small. Good stuff.

Blue skies,