AARP Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins
Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Great mission, work life balance and feel good company (in 45 reviews)

• A very professional environment with great benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making is sometimes slow (in 11 reviews)

• There is little to no upward mobility (in 5 reviews)

"Absolute Clown Show"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Great location. Easy to get to work.

Cons

How much time do you have? I reported directly to someone who had the social and management skills of a house plant. Repeatedly sent her work to review, never received any feedback. Was dismissed with no notice. In general, the most dysfunctional IT environment I've ever seen. It's all over the place. No vision, no strategy.

Advice to Management

I could offer some, but it wouldn't matter.

"Review"

I worked at AARP full-time

Pros

Organization's mission. Ok place for new graduates to gain some experience in navigating office politics.

Cons

Constant churn and reorg w/challenging culture, disaffected employees and low morale. Promotions based upon connections not ability and knowledge - occurring at all levels including CEO and COO.

Advice to Management

Stop surrounding yourself w/yes men. Listen and consider different opinions.

"Wasting money"

Current Employee - Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really bright dedicated people who mostly believe in the mission of the organization. Nice work environment, mostly nice people too.

Cons

Wasting money. AARP recently decided to install a new elevator system that no one asked for and is still not fully operational despite the fact that it's been under construction for at least 4 months now. Dozens of employees have recently been let go. It's tough to stomach getting on these new elevators which don't do anything remotely interesting while dozens of fellow comrades have been let go. I wish I knew just how much was spent on em. What a wast rod money!

Advice to Management

Quit promoting just ppl you're "comfortable" with - we know what that's code for. This is the white woman's version of the old boys club. It's really unbelievable.

"Black CEO, Racism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Racism thrives. There are literally hundreds of complaints settled out of court for racial discrimination against Black & Hispanic employees. If you're White, you will be fine. There are lots of you there being promoted. If you're a minority, forget about promotions and get a good race discrimination attorney.

Advice to Management

Jo Ann Jenkins should decide if she cares about racial discrimination under her own roof vs age discrimination.

"Motto: Trust No One"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP (Less than a year)

Pros

Penn Quarter location is all I got.

Cons

Political/cronyism to the max. So much distrust that all you saw were people whispering to each other. The turnover rate of people quitting was astounding to me. So many status meetings that you had to do your actual work late in the evening or at night on your own time. Warning to anyone who takes a job there: be extremely careful of whom you trust. I took a new job a couple of months after experiencing the toxic atmosphere. Not everyone was awful--a few, nice, hardworking people.

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Needs more communication skills"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Lakewood, CA

I worked at AARP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours. 40hrs a week. 5am-2pm. Some employees are nice, but some are snobby. I like how they have direct deposit.

Cons

When they lay you off they make an excuse that there is less work, but the real reason is that they do not like you. I feel like they scam old people.

Advice to Management

Give your employees before you let them go or make a dumb excuse.

"Watch out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The people are nice, it is very laid back.

Cons

This organization hires contractors and rather than investing time in developing any areas they may be lacking, they just have a revolving door. This is not a good use of membership funds, bringing people on and training them and then letting them go. I was escorted out of the building with no feedback or reason given and I was the fifth person in my department this happened to in my 7 months there.

Advice to Management

Give feedback to contractors who want to do a good job so that they can improve whatever they are lacking. A little more investment on your part would go a long way so that you aren't constantly re-training new people. Also, treat people with more dignity and respect them having them escorted out with no reason given. Any employee or contractor is a possible future member and you don't want them to leave the organization feeling bad about it.

"Manager"

I worked at AARP full-time

Pros

The greatest work/life balance in the world. People literally work 20 hours a week. Colleagues are very cooperative.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth
    Arcane HR policies regarding raises
    Best suited for people who are nearing the end of their careers

Advice to Management

Before the light bulb was invented, one of the largest firms in America was a candle maker. Every campaign, initiative and special project that you initiate is just window dressing. Behind the windows, you are still just making candles.

"I did no like the pay scale."

Former Employee - Clerk in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Fresno, CA

I worked at AARP part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work there only if you have no other employment.

Cons

Working for low income with no future.

Advice to Management

Need to improve pay scale.

"Want to be unemployed? Apply here, get the job and lose your job in one week!"

Former Contractor - Photo Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Photo Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Unless you consider the Metro to be fun.

Cons

I left my job for an opportunity at AARP. On my first day I was very early and my boss was late. He introduced me to people in the office and began "training" me. I wrote notes on my phone. The training was poor and lacked information on workflo from one step to another. The trainer worked with me for short periods of time, each period with less helpfulness. I was not shown the lunch room or given time to eat, but instead excersizes to do and meetings to attend. One of which the group talked about "reducing redundancies." This has been corporate slang for layoffs at previous jobs, so not great to hear about. At 4:00 my boss was still unavailable for a meeting he said we'd have at 2:30. So I left to building to eat. Took my phone off Satelitte and answered a missed message from my husband. I returned to the office 25 minutes later. With my boss still in his office, I returned to my new desk and did what any new employee could with little training - set up important bookmarks, fixed issues with the office help group to get printers working and more. I left at 5:30. On my commute home I was contacted by my contracting group that I was not to return the next day because my boss told them that I was texting during training. Unbelievable. All it would have taken would be a quick question to me and I would have shown him all my notes. I referred to them and added more thoughts throughout the day such as bring a cup for water - there were no paper or plastic cups for visitors or new employees to use for drinking. Things such as that. But I was "fired" because he thought I was "texting." The lack of an ability to communicate seemed to sweep this office. Workflow, archives,and programs were all behind the times (it was like stepping back into publishing for 2004). Most of the people in my group were contractors too - no benefits and such. And most were women.

Advice to Management

It's 2014. People write with electronic devices. Just because you work at AARP doesn't mean you should retire your mind, fail to think and ask questions, or show a little respect.