AArete Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with a very strong group of people with a strong work ethic. There is a great team environment with a focus on family and personal life that is a model for others. You have the opportunity to work on many different projects, all while having a direct impact on the outcomes. Overall the work is very rewarding personally.

Cons

At times work demands long hours in the evening or on the weekends. However, often you can take time later when the deliverables are done to decompress.

"Young Consulting Firm Experiencing Exponential Growth.. and Some of the Associated Pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at AArete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tons of potential for both individual and firm-wide growth
    -Variety of opportunities within the company, including the ability to carve out your own niche if you can prove you're capable
    -An articulated career track with increasing mentorship opportunities on the consulting side of the business

Cons

-Executive management does not have a good grasp of technology
    -There is a high degree of nepotism within the company (relatively standard for consulting firms)
    -The job description may not be a true representation of your role

Advice to Management

I heard the phrase "Slow to hire, slow to fire" quite frequently, but as an outsider's perspective, I felt AArete was fast to hire, slow to fire. My advice is to take more time determining entry criteria for new recruits. Include a variety of metrics that will determine cultural/team fit, aptitude, etc.

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at AArete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the culture and the perks of having a young environment

Cons

Stop being cheap and not paying your employees as much as other consulting firms

Advice to Management

Pay people more, you can't pay your favorites more, promote your favorites more, and not look at the compensation strategy - stop trying to get away with low balling salaries to senior consultant level people who probably put in the most work, effort, and time. AArete should be thinking about paying senior consultants the same salaries, managers the same salary, etc. At the end of the day, we all put in the same amount of work, and a lot of time we don't even get to pick where we are staffed...not a choice of our own if we aren't exposed to opportunities

"Fun and energetic firm, still A LOT of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office location/view
    Great and smart people to work with
    Have a start up mindset
    Fun and energetic environment
    Good work life balance

Cons

Management plays favorite on promotion and raise
    Paid is not competitive

Advice to Management

AArete has a lot of great people, however so many wrong people are being promoted. The frat house culture is very strong, you can find people who get promotion three years in a row and some people work very hard and stay in the same role for 3 years because they are not in the right group. Some people can do whatever they want because they have someone on their back. HR cannot take feedback and overreacts in a lot of situations. Please work harder to keep the culture you built and pay employees better, or else good people will eventually start leaving.

5. "Positive"

Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at AArete is phenomenal and the work we perform provides great insight for our clients in regards to optimizing their cost structure.

Cons

The pay at AArete is not competitive, but they offer bonuses throughout every level.

Advice to Management

Pay more and you will get more experienced consultants who are ready to move mountains for clients.

6. "Respectful and Thoughtful company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and excellent benefits and accommodations for employees with families. Your time and talent is valued and appreciated.

Cons

Not really a con, but it is a fast-paced environment so be prepared to roll with changes as they occur.

"Culture and Collaboration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture
    Work life balance
    Travel
    Leadership cares about their employees
    Freedom to peruse interest, personal development, and mentor junior staff at all levels

Cons

Project scopes and work streams are very inconsistent
    Wide range of experience levels at similar positions
    Direction and decision making can be convoluted at times both internally and externally
    Internal communication is lacking

Advice to Management

Take an active approach to check company pulse for moral and be careful for over-correcting and overacting to internal feedback

"Analyst/Consultant/Senior Consultant"

I have been working at AArete full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AArete has a phenomenal culture, and that lies primarily in the people within the company. Senior leadership is composed of really good people who hold strong moral values and take these very seriously throughout the organization, both with client-facing work and internal communication.

Cons

As with all growing companies, AArete is facing their fare share of growing pains. There are projects and work AArete engages in that are still less fulfilling and provide limited growth potential, management of teams is often inconsistent, and training programs are still in their infancy. The difference, however, is the people within AArete (Senior Leadership/Operations/HR) are extremely self-aware. They are consistently looking for feedback and provide transparency. They absolutely know and understand their flaws and are working hard to improve them. Training processes improve every year, the quality of new hires is continually increasing, and they are beginning to look at more complex and industry-leading solutions for a breadth of clients, new and old.

Advice to Management

In short, AArete has a tremendous culture founded on the goodness and caring of their people. While they're facing commonplace growing pains and are still trying to find their true identity and niche within the industry, they have the right vision, direction, and (most importantly) culture to propel them upward.

Management could improve technical trainings, consistency between management of teams, and engagements that offer more than just an additional source of revenue (growth opportunities, innovative business solutions).

"Great and Expanding Healthcare Consulting Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AArete (Less than a year)

Pros

Quickly growing company with great culture and employees. Management listens to employees and values feedback and does their best to keep employees happy and keep top talent.

Cons

Sometimes hours are a bit long but that comes with the territory. Compensation is slightly on the low side for consulting. Training could be improved in technical areas.

Advice to Management

No real advice to management. They do a good job keeping employees happy and motivated even when projects come down that aren't the most interesting.

"Temporary Agency or Management Consulting Firm?"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at AArete full-time

Pros

First, the "negative" reviews here seem more reflective of my experiences at this company than the glowingly positive ones. And, it seems, based on "helpful" ratings, other members agree. I rank this a one star firm, but depending on what you are looking forthis could be a four star firm.

As other reviewers wrote, the rank and file employees are friendly, nice, and generally people with whom it is easy to work or grab a beer.

Offered vacation is generous (though, see more on this under pay).

A good deal of project-level autonomy, but this could be viewed as a con.

Cons

Managing Directors and Directors, with few exceptions, have a pretty one dimensional background and approach to solutions: non-labor general and administrative unit cost reduction, e.g., office supplies, printing, etc. Where there are healthcare backgrounds, they typically are sourcing-related: medical supplies and equipment, other ancillary services. Since this is a low-barriers-to-entry and not really high skilled field - fees and salaries are relatively low for "consulting". This means, the staff skews young and less experienced. It also means, that non-monetary benefits are emphasized. I found it odd that we are given such generous vacation. In line with the above, MBA degrees, or the equivalent, among Managers (exc. MDs and Directors) and other staff are rare. The degree is not valued perhaps because the work and pay would not be commensurate with graduates' expectations.

This is a very closely held firm, where all power and decision making seem to reside in the CEO and, to some extent, his friend the CFO. They appear to b outmatched by their ambitions, but even those are not clear. What this firm intends to do and how is vague, at best.

Temporary staff, not so much coherent solutions, are sold to clients. This means that project direction and support are light. In fact, client benefit seems to be whether they like whomever shows up. Unfortunately, most high performers leave after 1-2 years.

My biggest concern, while I am glad to have a job that pays something okay, is that I am not gaining experience and skills that will be valued in a very competitive workplace - that my peers at other firms are leaving me behind.

This can be a one star or four star firm. One star: if you are looking for highly competitive remuneration and very experienced management consultants with broad backgrounds, as well as engaging projects on which you can build a diverse skill set. Four star: if you want a low stress workplace,with friendly and fun coworkers and are really interested in sourcing, and generous vacation.

Advice to Management

Figure out what business you are in.