ABB Optical Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Angel Alvarez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • High standards, low pay, threat of job security looms, large periods where there is nothing to do (in 3 reviews)

• When you go into the lab no one even speaks or responds to you (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good choice"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at ABB Optical Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay
    Awesome training
    Clean, organized call center
    Fun company
    Great benefits

Cons

Stressful interviewing process
    A couple questionable leaders
    Customers can be stressful - but isn't that every job?

Advice to Management

Overall I was happy here as a customer service rep but I had to move on to a sales position that is better suited for me at a different company.

Getting in was an elaborate process: first day is a meet and greet, go home to write a short essay, a couple days later a formal interview with several members of management and it lasted a couple hours, side-jacking with a rep, then going home and getting the job offer within a day or two. I'm glad I didn't give up when over 100 people showed up to the meet and greet (I almost did). They chose 10 of us. It was so worth it.

The training was fun but also intense. They warned us ahead of time that it's not a walk in the park, and they were right. Tons of codes to learn - it was like code bootcamp but trainers made a point to make the whole process positive whenever they could. I came to find out training is actually more difficult than production.

The pay as a CSR is awesome. I don't know of any other entry level CSR position that pays $14/hour ($15 for bilingual). $15/hour (averaged out) is what the salaries of most public school teachers in Florida start at (which is terrible for them but amazing for CSRs)

Management is very good, there are just a couple members of the Resolutions team I found unpleasant and every time I interacted with them I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. Meh. You can't have it all, there is no company in the world with perfect coworkers/management.

The benefits are excellent, much better than average. The culture club does a great job making work fun ... and this company loves to FEED everyone.

I highly recommend working here. I don't know about any other position but I do know it's not unheard of for people to start in the warehouse and work their way into the call center. Good luck!

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time

Pros

It's a great team of passionate people.
    The company truly has established a culture of thanks that is hard to come by.

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Coral Springs Distribution Center"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at ABB Optical Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect from Supervisors, advancement opportunities, raises, fun environment

Cons

Lack of communication between the company and the staffing agencies

Advice to Management

Get a better relationship with the staffing agencies so both companies are on the same page. I found it very confusing being told completely different things from the company and the agency and was often times told not to listen to the agency.

4. "First Class Culture"

Current Employee - Business Insights in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Business Insights in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ABB truly cares about their people. The entire management team has an open door policy and has what I would describe as a “flat organization.” You can walk into the President, CFO, & even the CEO's office with a thought or idea and they will be happy to listen and collaborate with you. There is no “chain of command.” Your voice is always heard & they encourage you to speak up. There are no stupid questions or suggestions. The CFO, Paul Sherman, with everything on his plate, makes time every day to walk around to simply ask how your day is and even has one-on-ones with our Customer Service team members. ABB invests in on-going manager training to ensure all managers are being the best leaders they can be. ABB hires the best talent, invests in their people, and ensures their people are growing and developing. They always try to promote from within. ABB has 4 core values -- One Team, Accountability, Passion, & Customer Focus and the company truly lives & breathes these values. The people are friendly, you always hear laugher in the halls. They care about work/life balance. We work hard at ABB, but when you get to work with awesome people every day, it is fun too. The best decision I’ve made for my career to date was to join ABB.

Cons

There are always areas for improvement but nothing major worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "COMMENT ON REVOLVING DOOR REVIEW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong management, people who care and are willing to teach, opportunity for growth

Cons

Let's be honest no job is perfect but there is nothing that stands out that needs to be noted

Advice to Management

I normally am not one to leave my opinion when it comes to reviews about one's work place. However, when the CFO of the company pulls the entire finance department of 50 plus people into a room to express his "I get down but I get up again" mentality, it made me want to express my opinion.

I, personally, was taken back when this review was read to us, as were several other people that were in the room. The finance department is far from a revolving door. As with any growing company, people come and go, get promoted and make lateral moves within an organization. It's part of business. Our CFO personally takes ownership of developing and challenging people within the department to be the best you can be at ABB.

The finance management team of ABB is by far one of the best teams I have worked for in all my years of employment. They educate, mentor and lead with the best interest of not only the company but the employee as well. There has always been an open door policy within the department to not only bring challenges to management, also to be part of the solution as well.

To the individual that wrote this review, there is no such thing as a dumb question or opinion. You have a platform to express yourself to anyone with the finance department to get a better understanding as to why something is the way it is or bring up what you may feel is wrong and provide a solution to what you see as a problem. It is the best way to not only grow within the organization but make your job something to look forward to each day.

Keep doing what you are doing in Finance!

ABB Optical Group Response

Oct 18, 2017 – HR Recruiter/Social Media

Thank you so much for this positive review. We appreciate all feedback even those that provide us an opportunity to better ourselves.

"Culture of Mistrust and Fear Mongering"

Former Employee - Manager in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at ABB Optical Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really thought this was this place to be, however once the insecurities starting showing themselves that changed really fast.

Reading a lot of the very recent reviews seems like there was "instruction" to employees to write positive reviews - management should know that these are not authentic whatsoever and only there because you "asked" someone to do it.

Cons

Really a toxic type of environment in the Call Center where Core Values are preached however not lived.

The senior leadership team does not lead by example and the more they can make employees feel unsure and insecure the better - definitely do not recommend working here unless you like being punished and treated like you are inferior.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people with REAL dignity and respect, not the fake kind because everyone sees it - you might think your employees love you, however they are ALL there JUST for the paycheck.

Nobody respects or trusts you and this is only because you have created this type of culture - the ONE TEAM core value is definitely a farce and frankly you encourage gossip and back stabbing - when one is insecure about oneself then this is the outcome.

You try to manage by fear mongering ...never successful.

Leadership thinks that buying food is the solution - make people feel like they are truly appreciated and acknowledge good work - across the board.

Call Center leadership has expectations that they themselves cannot follow - get to know people and get out of your offices.

Do a SEE posting - it won't hurt... and do it for real...anyone can just hit LIKE.

Like one of the posts said - have a serious "look" in the mirror and reset your outlook.

ABB Optical Group Response

Nov 16, 2017 – HR Recruiter/Social Media

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. ABB OPTICAL GROUP reviews all comments and takes the opportunity to make improvements.

"Well read but missed the point"

Current Employee - Analyst in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My prior review was actually read and a team meeting attempted as a response and it was within 15 days.

Cons

My underlying point was missed. The leadership needs to be addressed. The response was in the typical arrogant, better than you, preachy style that doesn't actually solve the problems in the department. We don't want insulting emails telling us how to behave or think or assuming we don't know already and we don't want lectures either. Address the leadership approach (that might require a mirror) the managers (at various levels) that are far from capable of managing.

Advice to Management

Wake up and do some self reflection

"WORST COMPANY EVER!"

Former Employee - Distribution Lead in Marshfield, MA
    Former Employee - Distribution Lead in Marshfield, MA

I worked at ABB Optical Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule, location, hours, weekends optional

Cons

Sleezy managers, theft of personal property throughout the facility, lack of proper training, poor compensation.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all current supervisors and start clean with a more unified team. Start living up to your companies “values”. PACO? I’ll believe it when I see it.

"Speaking from Both Sides of the Mouth"

Current Employee - Manager in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time

Pros

A team of IT professionals that couldn't be more committed and dedicated. We have work conquered super challenging problems together that make us proud. We have smart talented people that work together well and delivery consistently, time and time again.

Cons

As I listened to our executive leadership for the second time this week try to explain why they dismantled the best IT leadership team I've ever had the pleasure of working with, I heard them articulate a bunch of stuff that made no sense. We as a company suck at delivering projects - but we're going to only shoot IT leaders as a result. You guys deliver value and do a good job and should keep doing a good job - but obviously it's not that good since we fired people and demoted others. If the going gets tough and you go cry to the executives we'll cancel a project so no one should have to feel the sense of failure - and we'll prevent the IT team from feeling the sense of success in the process. You're willing to acknowledge that we're better than we were but clearly the team that got the Titanic floating again, isn't capable of leading to the future because clearly resurrecting sunken ships while still sailing isn't a success in the board's mind and doesn't count as delivering value.

Advice to Management

You are the most terrible communicators and leaders ever. Stop professing to be good at it.

"No Trust"

Current Employee - IT in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - IT in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at ABB Optical Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have enjoyed working in this IT team over the last several years more than any other place I've been. I've learned from the IT management team and most of all I've valued how much they valued me. They have always treated me respectfully, made time for any question or issue no matter how big or small, stopped to teach, focused the team on a common goals, and pushed us to get better. It has been a wonderful experience.

Cons

The executives have no idea what they just did to IT. They took a tight cohesive group and ripped it up. They allowed consultants who have spent no time with us to put themselves in charge. They removed great leadership and then like cowards, with no explanation recoiled to not be seen again. Must be nice to rule from an ivory tower. Perhaps if you actually spent time with us you'd know what you have is truly good, especially given the crap systems you have. I certainly am not motivated to be dedicated anymore. I think I'm motivated to find something else where people are treated better and the work we do is valued.

Advice to Management

You don't deserve the IT team you have.