ABB Reviews in South Boston, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABB Chief Executive Officer Ulrich Spiesshofer
Ulrich Spiesshofer

Pros
Cons
  • It maybe affects your work life balance if you didn't managw your time wisely (in 27 reviews)

• Low salary in comparison with other international companies (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in South Boston, VA
    Former Employee - Process Control Engineer in South Boston, VA

I worked at ABB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and have the best opportunity to use what I learned in college. They hire within the company first to better yourself before hiring outside.

Cons

Insurance costs to much for what it cost you monthly and doesn't cover certain medicines that my family and others need on a daily basis.

"Manufacturing Associate"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in South Boston, VA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in South Boston, VA

I worked at ABB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No Pros to speak of working at that place was a living hell and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Cons

Long work hours/weeks I worked there for a few years and it consisted of "mandatory 58 hours" a week even when the workload didn't support it. Was told by a manager that I could sweep the floors all day when we didn't have work if you didn't work 10 hours a day Monday thru Friday and 8 hours on Saturday they'd threaten to write you up. Then they'd come around and ask for volunteers for Sunday. "Hot" units were brought to your attention a day before they were scheduled to ship. Management didn't know anything about what went on after they left they would rely on other workers to tell them. All in all it isn't worth the hours they make you work. Annnddd we were required to test units using up to 480v when we weren't even certified they never bothered. If you don't suck up to your manager and team lead you don't get a raise at all. There are workers there that have been there 10+ years faithfully and they're not even at top pay.

Advice to Management

Show and act like you actually care about your workers.

3. "Welder"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Boston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Boston, VA

I worked at ABB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance and vacation time

Cons

Pay is not what it should be

5. "Experience"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in South Boston, VA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Intern in South Boston, VA

Pros

Good company to work with. Excellent competitive environment. Helpful colleagues. You will get a very good learning experience.

Cons

Not a good location. Since it is a very big organization, things at-times move slow. So, self motivation will help you succeed in this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

ABB Response

Sep 22, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your insights and we are always looking to improve our internships and programs.

"Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Engineer in South Boston, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in South Boston, VA

I worked at ABB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ABB has very friendly people, good pay, nice facilities, and gave me the opportunity to learn a lot about the manufacturing of transformers.

Cons

Sometimes bored with the repetitious work content. Lots of delegating work and no one really wants to take responsibility for orders.

Advice to Management

Motivate shop employees and give them more incentive to do work correctly. Customers should be satisfied with products, but lots of errors make it through production unnoticed.

"Long hours but great benefits for the area I live in."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in South Boston, VA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Tech in South Boston, VA

I have been working at ABB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Has great insurance and decent bonuses. It's got a roof that keeps the rain off my head and the cold winds at bay.

Cons

Constant overtime. Working the off shift it can be challenging to find somewhere decent to eat in the area. The canteen is closed for the off shifts.

Advice to Management

Rotate shifts out on weekends so that they get at least one weekend off a month.

Showing 6 of 1,754 reviews