ABB Reviews in Wickliffe, OH | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABB Chief Executive Officer Ulrich Spiesshofer
Ulrich Spiesshofer

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance is not so good (in 26 reviews)

• Low salary in comparison with other international companies (in 25 reviews)

"Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Wickliffe, OH

I have been working at ABB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is great. Very wonderful working environment that isn't too stressful.

Cons

Way too much bureaucracy. It takes way too long to get things done and too many steps to complete tasks.

Advice to Management

Decrease bureaucracy and eliminate competition between divisions within the same company.

2. "Proposal Engineer"

Former Intern - Proposal Engineer Co-op in Wickliffe, OH
    Former Intern - Proposal Engineer Co-op in Wickliffe, OH

I worked at ABB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours ended up being pretty flexible.

Cons

They didn't tell me about the flexible hours, and told me I couldn't take a class while I was working there, even though I ended up leaving before that class would have started pretty much every day. I didn't do much while I was there. I'm not sure why they hired me. Instead of batch hiring ten thousand interns every semester, they should make sure they have tasks, and then hire for the tasks.

Advice to Management

Managers should interact with their co-ops instead of the Co-op Coordinator. Co-Op Coordinator clearly didn't understand the hours that would be reacquired of me.

"Senior engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wickliffe, OH

I have been working at ABB (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work and constant new customer

Cons

Small incentive increases and lack of experienced support

Advice to Management

Spend the resources in training to advance your staff

"ABB is a great company."

Current Employee - Engineering Department in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Department in Wickliffe, OH

Pros

ABB employs some really great people, they are all kind and caring. The Employees make several charitable donations throughout the year.
    The Engineering Department has a lot of knowledge. I have learned so much from so many. It's been an amazing experience.

Cons

Too many emails, too many meetings, and too much management. Sending work to other ABB locations. Don't give many raises, when they do its not much.

Advice to Management

Ever changing job processes make everything confusing. By the time all of us learn the process it changes again. Quit sending work to other ABB locations, the quality of work isn't even close to what we do in house. In the time it takes to do the paperwork, explain the work, and correct their work, I could do it myself (probably twice).

"Too large of a company to work for"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Wickliffe, OH
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Wickliffe, OH

I worked at ABB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company so lots of opportunities and positions available through out the U.S and international countries.

Cons

Bad management and overall poor compensation. Takes a long time to advance in career due to older management set in their historic methods.

7. "Advancement is through movement, do not let yourself get in a silo"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Wickliffe, OH

I have been working at ABB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

company does promote and allow you to change direction and move within; travel is always available; starting salary is very competitive

Cons

very easy to get in a working silo and never get unique assignments; raises are minimal unless you have a promotion

8. "Former Test Engineer Intern in Wickliffe, OH"

Former Intern - Test Engineer in Wickliffe, OH
    Former Intern - Test Engineer in Wickliffe, OH

I worked at ABB as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and opportunity to learn more about controls/automation systems

Cons

Needs a local, competent HR or IT in each sector.

"Once a Great Company is Back on Track"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Power Gen) in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer (Power Gen) in Wickliffe, OH

Pros

This place has no shortage of highly competent people, engineers, PMs, and business leaders alike.

The reorganization happened recently should help this once great business unit to stand up in competition by restoring the customer focus and the market share.

Cons

Hierarchical culture, lack of fairness and respect, lower engineering staff got too much power to exercise the personal practice to the employees, abuse sometimes. People are suffering without hope... No check and balance by upper management.

Advice to Management

Prosper this business by encouraging good people to perform, removing obstacles, fostering fairness and respect in workplace, and treating the customers well.

"Overall a good place to develop a career"

Former Employee - Proposal Engineer in Wickliffe, OH
    Former Employee - Proposal Engineer in Wickliffe, OH

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunities
    Corporate culture is very accommodating
    Pay and benefits are above par
    Depending on your area of work, there is a good work life balance. Most of the divisions in the company follow Flex-time.
    Actively involved in charity/philanthrophy within the community

Cons

I cant say these as the negatives of the company. But these are definitely the negatives of the Wickliffe, OH leadership.
    The top leadership seemed indecisive - in the three years that I worked there, they "changed" their "market and business strategy" three times. Every year it was introduced as the best thing for the company going forward. It seemed like the management are playing the trial-and-error game.
    Because of this, lot of talented ppl in the Sales force left the company to work for competitors.
    The inevitable layoffs could have been handled better. When I was laid off, there were openings for a similar position in other parts of the USA. Instead of applying as an internal candidate or an internal interview for a transfer, I was asked to first wait for my last day and then apply as an external candidate. I am sure others had a similar experience.

Advice to Management

It would help to have a good well-thought strategic vision and stick to it. I understand that the environment that we do business in is ever changing but that does not mean we keep "reorganizing" every year. If you implement a process or a change, give it some time to sink the roots.
    The cleveland office has good managers but not a capable leader!!!!!!!

"I'm happy, but as anywhere, could be improvements"

Current Employee - Associate in Wickliffe, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Wickliffe, OH

Pros

Training and development opportunities are widely available and encouraged. Even with the current economic trends, top management supports these initiatives. Corporate culture is supportive, and the company is trying to encourage employees to work beyond traditional lines. However, with such a big company, the silo effect is definitely still prevalent. I have been lucky enough to work with a great team and meet a lot of nice people. They are willing to help and have reasonable expectations. I feel that I am valued and my work makes an impact. I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to work at ABB.

Cons

I really have not gotten enough feedback from my manager. There is just so much going on within the company and our department. I know there are priorities above that, but I feel like I get lost in the mix sometimes. I feel like I could grow a lot more with better feedback. With a global company, there is a priority on alignment, which can be frustrating at times, but ultimately helpful. Because we are such a big company, even regionally, my team is spread out which can make our work a little difficult because I can't just go next door.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about the direction the company is moving towards

Showing 11 of 1,714 reviews