ABC Family Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael G. Riley

1. "ABC Family"

I worked at ABC Family full-time

Pros

-Working at a small network associated with the Disney ABC Television Group and The Walt Disney Company

Cons

-Restricted interaction and limitations set by hands-off micro manager supervisor

2. "Very political"

Former Employee - Marketing & Creative in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing & Creative in Burbank, CA

I worked at ABC Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Owned by Disney. Good benefits.

Cons

Politics trumps work ethics and abilities. Major gap in communications between colleagues and departments. Gossip within the management team is worse than junior high school.

Advice to Management

Overhaul management.

3. "3"

Pros

This is a really good compnay

Cons

Not many cons i would say

Advice to Management

Work life balance

5. "Nice People But Toxic Environment"

I worked at ABC Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate environment does allow for a good work/life balance (9a-6p) along with several nice perks including health care, events on the Disney lot, discounts and the coveted Silver Pass to get into Disneyland for free. Disney is a good family company and attracts a lot of good people.

Cons

ABC Family, as part of Disney, would like to be part of the "Happiest Place on Earth" but my experience differed. While I enjoyed the people I worked with (and don't get me wrong there are a lot of good people there) I found supervisors to have poor management and leadership skills and the environment to be driven by ego and politics. The resulting toxic environment resulted in no room for growth, a poor venue for creative out-of-the-box thinking and the general feeling of being a small cog in a very big machine.

6. "Great Learning, some frustrations"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at ABC Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market leader, name recognition, personal feel, compensation is good, most employees are very friendly, room for advancement in some offices

Cons

some inappropriate behavior, lack of formalized training, hours aren't very flexible, vacation time doesn't roll over,

Advice to Management

a formalized training program that each new hire goes through right when they start would go a long way in making sure all of the essential position-specific bases are covered. Vacation time should be able to be rolled over year to year.

7. "Has great potential. But needs a lot of work"

I worked at ABC Family full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of people are really passionate about their jobs. Good chance to network with people that have been apart of the industry for so long.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement. Upper management does not look out for you. Mentor programs only offered to upper levels

Advice to Management

Take all opinions and ideas into consideration. Be more inclusive. From Interns, coordinators, to managers. Everyone can have a great idea. Time under your belt is important, but its not everything.

8. "Ok pay/benefits and paying more than other places but very Jr. Highish-"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Pros

Silver Pass (through disney), fair benefits, ok salary compared to other entertainment places and can be on the higher side. Good location but building has bad air, atmosphere leaves you feeling you are in prison. Casual dress code.

Cons

Management is extremely bad and my manager through me under the bus frequently and would not take responsibility for anything. No good team-building events and unless you are good at playing the "jr. high" game - you never move up and you can be abused since in my position, I was getting more and more work and not an increase in pay. The "raises" are not very generous (2 percent usually). All in all, a frustrating atmosphere to be in.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility for your work and do not just place blame on your underlings. Be better at communicating and praising/rewarding good work. Provide a more fair system of raises and promotions. Most of the people I see getting promoted don't deserve it.

"For your inner 14-year-old girl"

Current Employee - Digital Media in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media in Burbank, CA

Pros

Lots of cool opportunities to meet cast members and really be involved with the shows. I really loved that I could produce material as an intern!

Cons

It's easy to get lost in the mix. I know some of my colleagues had been their for years, and they didn't seem to be moving to quickly with the company. You really have to shine and put yourself out there if you want to move ahead....but I suppose that goes with any company.

Also, it can be frustrating to deal with the larger forces of Disney when it comes to legal/Intellectual Property issues for the projects you are working on. Something that seems like a small project can really get caught in the pipeline. However, the overall benefits of being part of a big company outweigh these negatives.

Advice to Management

Be vocal--if they don't like your opinion they will tell you. It's better to have them know who you are than not...

10. "Time of your life, albeit if you don't mind getting paid in peanuts"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Burbank, CA

Pros

The perks are great, you can go to Disneyland nearly anytime you want (though there are black out dates). The name/brand of the company' People are typically impressed when you say you work there. There are definitely some good, real people. The projects are typically fun, I mean it's entertainment. The quality of the programming is really good so you can work on projects you are proud of or even fans of.

Cons

The scene becomes a bit fake the closer you work with talent (i.e. the actors) and petty. Starting salary is one of the lowest in the industry.

Advice to Management

11. "very nice conversation with their hiring manager"

Pros

good impression starting from my interview experience with their hiring manager.
    Very organized working area in both common area and individual employee cubic.

Cons

for my own situation, salary is the same as my current position. I feel this position depends on their budget, more like a contract position

Advice to Management

not sure yet since that was the last time I went there. I declined it since no salary increase to my own situation.