ABC Legal Services Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

2.5
ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan
Steve Carrigan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work is not going to follow you home, so you should have a good work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great Work Life Balance, Casual Atmosphere, Lunches provided Monthly, Uncharacteristic Management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no communication, only feedback you will get is if you are doing something wrong (in 3 reviews)

• Fake core values and no training (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work - we need more positive people like you"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location - downtown Seattle near public transportation

People - the office is 100+ people and all types of personalities exist . . .you'll find your people somewhere here

Opportunity - this is the company headquarters location, so all job types and opportunities exist: accounting, HR, IT, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Fulfillment. I've seen people advance to basically all types of jobs. The best opportunity is to take on your first management job - ABC promotes almost exclusively from within the company, so if you come in, do a solid job, and show an interest in management then chances are exceedingly high that you'll become a manager.

Free Lunch - every two weeks lunch is catered in, donuts arrive weekly it seems, fruit is free and available, and espresso machine makes good and free drinks - so basically I'm wired and fed just fine.

Overtime - just about any time you need extra money you can commit to working Saturday

Atmosphere - the office itself is nice, you can where basically whatever you want (I've seen pajamas), and other than a lot of work nothing is too stressful

Cons

Relentless work volume, it's good and not so good, on the bright side I'm never bored.

New management - most managers are pretty new . . . also presents an opportunity if you want to get into a management position you can probably get there within a year . . . but because management is promoted from within there are instances where new managers are not great.

Training - new employees can struggle to learn and the learning curve is somewhat complex

2. "Avoid at all costs - THE WORST"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No drug test and no degree required.

Cons

Hostile environment - Disorganized, disoriented, dysfunctional and dishonest management. Yelling, screaming and cursing on a daily basis. Secrets, lies and favoritism. Inconsistent leadership and no clear vision. Fake core values and no training. Annual layoffs.
    Warning: HR is unprofessional and definitely not your friend.

Advice to Management

Stop having double standards. Follow through on your commitments.

ABC Legal Services Response

Aug 30, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Although we are sad to hear you had such a poor experience, we recognize that our work is not for everyone. We aren't perfect, we know that, and we're working to get better every day. This requires... More

3. "Paper Pushing temp"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a difficult role or complex interview process

Cons

Repetitive, tedious work sorting mail, entering data and scanning documents.

Advice to Management

Make sure you clearly outline each day the tasks expected of employees. Many are left without work to do and are made to feel like a "squeaky wheel" for asking leadership for something to do!

"Not a Place to Be Taken Seriously"

Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Order Entry Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are free doughnuts and bagels on Fridays.

Cons

The expectations vs the reality of the situation for any of the departments are unreasonable. The turnover rate for this company is exceptionally high and that's part of what's crippling its efficiency.

Advice to Management

There is no database of information that could help make working here easier. Everyone is trained by one person who does not have the time to train everyone, the training is spotty, but not due to the fault of the supervisor. The work here is so nuanced and delicate, but there is no guide, no universal system to which you could hold a standard. If such a system were implemented, even if it would take considerable effort to do, it would be worth it in the long run. Future temps and employees wouldn't have to be trained so extensively, things would almost never be entered wrong, and numbers would improve across the board. It would save time and probably money to do something like that, but instead there is a steady sift of new people coming in and out of the company that don't know how to do their jobs effectively because the training system is short-handed. It's frustrating, because one can hardly be blamed for stagnation in their work if no one is willing to train them. The supervisors answer questions, but after a certain point, the training doesn't happen anymore and you're left to swim in an ocean of legal jargon and still expected to improve without help.

"Goodbye to a bunch of awesome people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really casual atmosphere, and a management team that really works to make it a great place to work.

Cons

Can be crazy paced, but that is not a con if you like to work hard.

Advice to Management

This was my final email to the company, and it is true.

Many of you know today is my last day with ABC Legal. So please pardon this final intrusion while I briefly explain what all of you, and this company mean to me.

ABC was the new job in the new city for me. I came here, from Florida, knowing nobody. I had a dream to live here, a back pack full of clothes, and my xbox when I stepped off the bus onto Stewart St back in 2013. I had just enough money to last a few months; it was either sink or swim.

Luckily I found out about ABC and applied. This company has been more than a job for me. Steve, Tim, and Jenny gave me an opportunity to do something brand new, learn some valuable skills, and allowed me to make some mistakes and really grow. Because of this place I have been able to really build my life in Seattle. It has made my lifelong dream come true.

With that comes all of you. As I said before, I knew nobody when I arrived. ABC has become my family in a way. I have spent holidays, and birthdays with some of you. We have conversations while passing in the halls, in the morning by the coffee machines, and when you come up for your daily candy fixes. I have learned so much from the people that work here. Many of you have influenced me in so many great ways.

Today is bittersweet for me. Moving onto something new is going to be a challenge, but I think I am ready for it. I will miss you all, and this place. Thank you for everything that you do, and for all the experiences I will take with me. Best wishes for each of you in your future endeavors.

It has been my pleasure to work with you.

To customarily end this transmission… I say to you,
    Many thanks,

A job is always what you make it. There will be stress, but if you always do the right thing, and put the company first. Your experience will be good. One thing ABC does well, they never tell you no when it comes to learning something else. You have to step up and ask to be taught and pay your dues.

"Terrible work environment and Terrible management. WORK ELSEWHERE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a job that pays (not well)

Cons

Management is terrible. Terrible compensation. Lots of responsibility thrown on lower employees with little to no return. WORK ANYWHERE ELSE.

Advice to Management

The CEO and COO are the worst. There will never be any improvement or change.

"Underwhelming"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my colleagues, dress code is casual, free lunch once a month, access to free coffee and nearby park.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of swearing, work is not stimulating and can be underwhelming at times; and some confusion arising from where to place orders

Advice to Management

Organize your site so that customers can find and place orders easily without customer service specialists don't have to "educate" them. Also, it would be nice for new and upcoming employees to have a handbook on SPUD system, as well as, the quotes, etc. On the other hand, I was there less than a year and could still have continued learning if given a chance. I felt I grew in confidence. and greatly appreciated the assistance from my co-workers.

8. "Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable & Collections Specialist Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great boss, great team i work with. , feeds us once a month, over all shows appreciation for employees.

Cons

compensation and paid time off

Advice to Management

Pay more and allow more paid time off

"don;t"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay, casual atmosphere, benes, hours

Cons

managem, favoritism, lack of communication

"ABC review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services (More than a year)

Pros

ABC legal provides competitive salaries and benefits. People are friendly.

Cons

Corporate office is very disorganized.

Advice to Management

Management should not lay off people every year and rehire for same position in a few months. They are losing all the knowledge and more costly in retraining new hires.