ABC News Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABC News President James Goldston
James Goldston

Pros
  • Some people have complained about the work life balance, but that never bothered me (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, the best and smartest journalists in the industry (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-existent work-life balance for the typical show producer (in 7 reviews)

• Long Hours but well rewarded so not a problem (in 9 reviews)

1. "Professional Journalists All Gathered"

Former Intern - Intern Reporter in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of great journalists. They all have integrity. Ethical view on journalism. Strong responsibility.

Cons

Pays are too low. But all the media companies are suffering..

2. "NEWS IN NYC"

Current Contractor - Producer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at ABC News as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a dynamic environment, they air lots of shows which means they need a large number of workers with a variety of skills.

Cons

It is so big that it is often disorganized. The recent salaries are deflating.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries especially for non-union employees.

3. "editor"

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

Pros

some coworkers are helpful and friendly. opportunity and freedom to do stories. news operation is fairly robust.

Cons

lack of leadership. regressive attitude toward employees long work hours little paid time off. weak editorial structure leads to lots of mistakes. lack if awareness cooperation and understanding pervasive across departaments

Advice to Management

invest in your human capital instead of cresting adversarial employee management relationship. put people in management who are willing to lead. institute policies that foster cooperation.

5. "Writer/Producer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with some real pros on a big show

Cons

Little room for advancement, bureaucratic mess, filled with dinosaurs, GMA is no longer news. It's fluff.

6. "Producer"

Current Employee - Digital Producer in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Digital Producer in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at ABC News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn a lot if you put in the time and effort. Working closely with talent and senior producers who are all helpful in moving you forward. Benefits are AWESOME

Cons

Hours are relentless, overnights are where you learn the most but then you are promoted to regular working hours and have a lot less stress and a lot less responsibility. If you're good at your job, you generally get stuck doing that job for a while

7. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News as an intern

Pros

Great working environment with a close knit group of people. Everyone there helped to make it an incredibly hands on learning experience.

Cons

You may have to work weekends as an intern and some of the computer programs are challenging to learn.

Advice to Management

Continue to teach interns how to maintain relationships with their colleagues/bosses - it's always a plus to hire a college grad who has had experience working at the company.

8. "It's a Bit Like High School"

Former Employee - Reporter/Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reporter/Producer in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ABC News is a prestigious name that helps open doors, whether it's getting a coveted booking, a quick statement or -- in my case -- getting my next job. I loved telling people I worked at ABC News and took great pride in my work and my team. I grew a lot during my time there and I am very grateful for the opportunity to have contributed to some incredible stories. Even though it was a far from perfect working environment, it was a very difficult decision for me to leave.

Some people have complained about the work life balance, but that never bothered me. I signed up for this -- and was always happy to jump in on any breaking news.

Cons

My part of the news organization started to feel a lot like high school. If you weren't at the cool kids table, good luck trying to get your ideas approved or any substantive feedback so you have a chance in the future. This makes it difficult to grow and ultimately contributed to my decision to leave. I did raise this with my manager months before I left.

It's incredibly difficult to foster collaboration across platforms. I noticed it got better over the years but they still have a long way to go when it comes to truly working as "One ABC." We discussed solutions but nothing seemed to stick.

Pay was decent, but I regret not negotiating better given what I know now of my colleague's salaries.

Advice to Management

James had the great idea to conduct notes days with employees, however I joined several "tiger teams" and there was no follow-through. We never got a chance to present. I respect the effort, but wish there had been more communication/follow-through.

There were also apparently coffees with Ben when he was president and then James. After a long time at ABC (and great performance reviews so I can't think that was a reason) I was never invited. I have friends who were invited multiple times. I admire this outreach but wish it was more thorough.

Individual "Keep up the good work" emails from James cc'ing your manager are awesome to get in breaking news situations. I saved mine. Even though we never had much of a chance to talk, I appreciated that acknowledgement.

Your digital news associates and PAs are the unsung heroes. You probably know that, but make sure you tell them "great job." It goes a long way.

9. "Associate Producer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ABC News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on big stories and interesting projects

Cons

Difficult to move up or around

10. "Interesting Work! Tough Hours!"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got meet really interesting guests that came on the show like Rick Perry, Cecile Richards and even Donald trump. People are passionate about the work they do. People are generally friendly, eager to help.

Cons

the hours are terrible whether you work for a morning show or a evening show... and it can be tough to have a social life and work here.

11. "Producer"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

Pros

Exciting and dynamic environment full of smart people who are fun and creative. The news has been a challenging place because of the business environment and so uncertainty can lead to politics but mostly it's an exciting place to be.

Cons

Bureaucratic and political. Long entrenched leadership that can lack perspective in the big wide world outside news. Ratings driven decision means that many stories that journalists want to do will never make air.

Advice to Management

Merit based promotion