ABC News Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
ABC News President James Goldston
James Goldston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some people have complained about the work life balance, but that never bothered me (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, the best and smartest journalists in the industry (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to find a work life balance as you are expected to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (in 9 reviews)

• long hours but worth it, as expected with field (in 11 reviews)

1. "ABC News Digital Fellow"

Pros

-fun, creative, fast-paced environment
    -something new every day

Cons

-there's nothing I've disliked so far about my position

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "Teleprompter"

I worked at ABC News part-time

Pros

Got my foot in the door

Cons

This position was looked down on and was hard to break into the other areas of the news. Scheduling was awful and sometimes would would overnights and then have to switch to very early morning shifts. Awful for the mind and the body.

3. "Toxic environment thanks to management in design department"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News part-time

Pros

Location is good. Pay is decent. Good place to learn basics.

Cons

Awful management in the design dept that psychologically abused workers. Low morale. Great for really passive people who don’t mind being talked down to. No opportunity to move up the ladder. Zero journalism. Mostly fluff stories.

Advice to Management

Take some management training courses and start caring about people. Be a team player

"Pros and cons"

Pros

The company is full of talented and smart people, great direct colleagues, many learning opportunities for those who seek it out.

Cons

Management does not care about or appreciate the people who work for them. If you are good at your job you will have a hard time moving beyond it. Original reporting is nearly extinct here.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people who want to do a great job, help the good ones climb the ranks, reward your employees with a better quality of life and appropriate compensation, not with occasional odd food rewards

5. "Big company, great experience... at times very hectic"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at ABC News in New York, in a production role for the news shows.

Very prestigious network that can be wonderful or terrible to work for. If you work here a long time you will probably say the experience was a mix of both. Some people I worked with here were terrific, and if you're young and just starting out it can be a very exciting experience.

If you can land a FT role, most positions will pay fairly generously with great benefits and perks. Their set uptown where GMA and World News are recorded is quite sleek, though the work cubicle areas and offices tend to be small. The building at their Times Square location where GMA is taped isn't that nice itself but is in a great, convenient location.

Other perks include free concerts and free access to Times Square on NYE.

Cons

I've known people who worked here and worked insane hours every week and had to deal with very nerve-wracking work days almost every day because that was the nature of the job or they feared being replaced.

The promotion process seemed to me a bit sketchy, and often depends how cozy you can get with those in power, i.e. program managers, etc. Often people not involved directly with your specific department decide who gets promoted.

If you're involved directly with the shows you're often on call almost 24/7 when breaking news happens.

Sometimes people like the senior producers or executive producers can be very hard-driving and demanding, which makes for an unpleasant work environment.

After working here or anywhere in the TV business for a long time, you'll find that the glamour and excitement of it all may be great in the beginning but fades over time and you may be wanting an early retirement.

Advice to Management

There's no advice to give because mgmt will always do what they want anyway and you just accept it for how it is.

6. "Old School Media"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endless resources present as part of the Disney corporation.

Cons

Encumbered by longstanding "best practices" that make it all the more difficult to deliver news in a fast-paced media environment.

7. "Senior Producer"

I worked at ABC News full-time

Pros

Great learning experience from top to bottom. Enjoyed travel, responsibilities, story assignments. Would do it again.

Cons

Need more support staff and I wasn't crazy about my office. Hard to find a work life balance as you are expected to be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Hire more support staff so that pieces can be produced with greater speed and quality. This would also increase output.

8. "Regional vice president"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at ABC News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant co-workers and good work environment

Cons

Too big with too many employees

Advice to Management

Have focus groups to listen to employees

9. "ABC NEWS OK PLACE TO WORK"

I have been working at ABC News full-time

Pros

Infrastructure, resources, staff, training, mobility

Cons

Long hours and lots of paperwork

10. "Senior Producer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ABC News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, compensation and experience

Cons

Men at the top on almost all shows even though majority of staff and viewers are women...can be a frat boy atmosphere with little respect and a fair amount of inappropriate jokes

Advice to Management

Take a hard honest look at some of the managers that have been there a long time and have old school management styles and get special treatment