ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Pros
  • Employees are dedicated to the mission of "Saving Lives (in 13 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here (in 4 reviews)

• Observed no cons during the contract engagement (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

2. "Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at Abiomed are happy to be at work every day. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are excited about their projects, and eager to lend a helping hand to others. Management is accessible and welcoming to employees, whether they're fresh out of school or seasoned professionals. Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives.

I remember hearing about this common purpose in my interview. While many med device companies might say this, Abiomed employees really mean it. Everything we do is to improve patient outcomes, and there's nothing better than meeting a patient whose life was saved by our product.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

People at Abiomed work very hard. One should not expect a standard 9-5 schedule every day of the week.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop career advancement and training for employees. I see this happening already, and I'm eager to get involved and grow my skills set.

3. "Rewarding Experience"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is rewarding to work for a company that makes products that saves the lives of thousands of patients. Every individual that works at Abiomed makes a difference in someone's life.

Cons

Geographic location is not optimal.

5. "One of the most fulfilling companies you can ever work for!"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Abiomed is an incredibly unique company. There are select few places where you can have such a direct impact on the lives of patients. The company is so dedicated to the mission of putting patients first that it's impossible not be inspired and motivated by the work you are doing. There are constant reminders that Abiomed makes life-saving products, from patient photos throughout the building, patient visits to almost all company events and inspiring patient stories delivered into your inbox on a routine basis. Outside of the incredibly fulfilling impact each employee has, Abiomed is a rapidly growing company that is wrought with opportunity for personal and professional growth. If you put in the effort, you have an opportunity to have significant direct impact and grow professionally as a result. In addition, there is a healthy research and development pipeline, giving the engineers ample opportunity to be challenged and innovate. Abiomed is also investing in it's people - setting up mentoring and career development programs and building up infrastructure with a huge new cafeteria and modern workspace. Abiomed satisfies all characteristics of a company that is challenging, exciting, fulfilling and provides enormous opportunity for individual growth.

Cons

Abiomed is not for everyone. Expectations are high because the work we do is incredibly important. This is not a 9-5 environment where the pace is slow and nothing ever changes. If your desire is to have a slow-paced environment with low expectations, I wouldn't seek out Abiomed.

Advice to Management

Management would be best served to come through on it's mentoring and career development programs. We have so many talented people that are craving a systematic approach to career development. This is being developed and needs to be followed through.

6. "Challenging and Focused"

Current Employee - Director in Boxford, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boxford, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am challenged daily to do more than I ever thought that I could do. I work alongside of some brilliant people who are all motivated to do what is right for every patient, every day. Taking this step was a huge one for my family- we moved away from everything and everyone we had ever known because we believe in the mission of this company. I am reminded every time I walk through the doors that this company is focused on patients. A big Pro is that the company is growing daily - lots of opportunity to learn, grow and excel.

Cons

We work hard here. Everyone does. We hold each other accountable for meeting the goals of the team. If you do not want this type of work environment, this is NOT the place for you.

7. "Recently joined the team! And glad I did"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am completely impressed with how the employees collaborate and truly work together towards a goal of constant improvement and innovation. You feel the dedication to our patients every single day - it makes you so proud of what you are part of here. The people here are smart, kind and are very respectful and appreciative of each other. I feel fortunate to have found Abiomed and to be part of it's future.

Cons

I truly don't see any downside...

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on patients as our driving mission, we feel it and are encouraged to outperform every day to save lives.

8. "Great life-saving device...."

Former Employee - Clinical in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clinical team ... solid life saving device

Cons

Leadership opportunities - awareness of team dynamics and opportunities

"Amazing technology and growing fast"

Current Employee - Operations in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Operations in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding colleagues, dedicated to their jobs and patients; technology is unparalleled with no competition in site; company is stable and in a state of constant growth with beautiful new office space; Leadership seems focused on making positive changes for employees.

Cons

Benefits could be outstanding, but are really just ok; no matter your role, the job/company is all-encompassing. It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here.

Advice to Management

Revisit the benefits package - 401K match and the cost of insurance deductibles; consider coming up with a telecommuting work policy as it's not always critical to physically be in the office to be effective and get the job done; recognize outstanding employees company wide in addition to the field team.

"Why I love working at Abiomed"

Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great product ... product that really saves people
    2. Great people ... I enjoy working with my colleagues. We all work and play hard.
    3. Size of company ... I have worked in the very bigs and start-ups, but really enjoy this size of company
    4. I have had wonderful bosses since being here. They stay out of my sandbox unless I need some guidance
    5. Teams come together and bond, which makes doing the work that much easier

Cons

1. Sometimes hard to leave because the work is so interesting
    2. Sometimes hard to leave because there is more work (but I would rather have plenty than not enough)
    3. Medical plan needs to be improved. My career has been in medical and this is the worst plan yet

11. "Administrator"

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

met some very nice people

Cons

Expect you to work 24/7, or be ready by phone. Will work you to the bone and then rip you down. Upper management is brutal and if you have a family, say good bye to them on your first day. You won't see them after that.

Advice to Management

Realize that women have families and would like to see them.. You do not see many women with children stay long.