ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives (in 12 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here (in 5 reviews)

• If you are, it's a great place to be (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

2. "So happy to be at Abiomed!"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Abiomed has a fantastic culture driven by our mission. Just being here for a bit you can't help but be energized by the patient stories lining the wall. Everyone has been very helpful and will go above and beyond to make you feel settled. The recruiting and ob-boarding experience has been flawless. It has been very easy to transition into my role. Very excited to be here

Cons

None that I see!

"No Gender Diversity At The Top"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission with a good strategy

Cons

No women on the leadership team other than HR. Why? No real diversity at all.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring executives that look just like you.

"Disappointed in how the company has changed in so little time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Pros

Pay was good. Fellow employees are excellent. CEO is outstandingly nice.

Cons

There is a supervisor that is corrupt. Who has made employee moral go completely down. The Management does not for a second listen to the constructive criticism from workers. All management cares about is numbers rising. Which in turn is making quality of products decreased. Micro managing people for no reason.

Advice to Management

Step it up. Listen. Care. Should have employees do an anonymous yearly review on supervisor.

5. "The sky is the limit"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Challenging work environment. Rewarding product.

Cons

Systems in place need improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees! Keep it up!

"Turning into one of the other bad cultured companies on the same street"

Current Employee - Cleanroom Associate in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Cleanroom Associate in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Patients first really is the mission everyday. And everyday the people that work at Abiomed are proud to be working there knowing what they do has impacts on patients. There is always constant change which is good but some have been bad.

Cons

Ever since the company has grown and the clean room has scaled up, it seems the company has forgotten about abiomed culture. And the fact that they now treat the people who build/assemble the products like nothing. The moral and motivation has gone down due to management hiring supervisors from other companies down the street who have shown they do not possess Abiomed's culture. There used to be a sense of trust and openness to speak with Supervisors. Now there is micromanaging and someone constantly hovering over. There is constant hiring/firing in the cleanroom. This should speak volumes about how bad the management has become. The fact that this is constant means the quality of how product is made will constantly suffer.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote from within instead of hiring from outside. Employees get reviews and the Supervisors need to be assessed as well. They should also have to attend people skills training and supervisor training. You are slowly losing good employees due to bad management and bad supervisors.

7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an exciting Company to work for, since our number one goal is our Patients. It is growing quickly and it is very exciting to be a part of that growth.

Cons

You need to enjoy the constant changes that come our way. If you prefer a work environment that is static, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Would love to see some growth potential on the Admin side.

"Patients First!"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Beyond rewarding to work in a company that does such wonderful things for patients everyday. They are literally saving lives.

Cons

Employees work extremely hard (which is good), but a better work/life balance is needed.

"Challenging and Focused"

Current Employee - Director in Boxford, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boxford, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am challenged daily to do more than I ever thought that I could do. I work alongside of some brilliant people who are all motivated to do what is right for every patient, every day. Taking this step was a huge one for my family- we moved away from everything and everyone we had ever known because we believe in the mission of this company. I am reminded every time I walk through the doors that this company is focused on patients. A big Pro is that the company is growing daily - lots of opportunity to learn, grow and excel.

Cons

We work hard here. Everyone does. We hold each other accountable for meeting the goals of the team. If you do not want this type of work environment, this is NOT the place for you.

10. "Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at Abiomed are happy to be at work every day. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are excited about their projects, and eager to lend a helping hand to others. Management is accessible and welcoming to employees, whether they're fresh out of school or seasoned professionals. Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives.

I remember hearing about this common purpose in my interview. While many med device companies might say this, Abiomed employees really mean it. Everything we do is to improve patient outcomes, and there's nothing better than meeting a patient whose life was saved by our product.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend working here.

Cons

People at Abiomed work very hard. One should not expect a standard 9-5 schedule every day of the week.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop career advancement and training for employees. I see this happening already, and I'm eager to get involved and grow my skills set.