ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Pros
  • Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives (in 12 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here (in 5 reviews)

• Observed no cons during the contract engagement (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

"Important lifesaving product, but Management rules by FEAR"

Former Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic product, critical cardiac care device, easy to explain to other people and it really gets their attention. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Management by FEAR.
    High turnover rate.
    Unrealistic timelines ,i.e., my project loading was technically over 300%, but this was artificially lowered to look better, realistic loading was closer to 500%.
    No support from management.
    Departments are too lean to be able to effectively manufacture or improve the product.
    With the management philosophy in place people will stab you in the back so as not to be blamed for any delays or errors.

Advice to Management

Use realistic timelines, and hire enough people to be able to truly improve the product.

"Stressed"

Former Employee - Operations in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the Product saves lives and that is wonderful

Cons

Management leads by intimidation.
    overtime expected, not recognized
    Don't make a mistake.

Advice to Management

remember people are human

"production operation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Pros

There are only a few good coworkers who at least try very hard

Cons

Horrible management! Too much stress and expectations without the support.

Advice to Management

Get better "people" supervisor/managers

"Lasted 4mos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly and knowledgeable.
    Heart pump is impressive, nice to work on product that helps people.
    Future business outlook good as pump becomes standard of care.
    Coffee is good.

Cons

No work life balance, unreasonable expectations, poor work environment.
    Given the product expected it would be great place to work. Discovered on first day that wasn't the case, disappointed.

Advice to Management

Leave

6. "Abiomed"

Former Employee - National Accounts Manager EP in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - National Accounts Manager EP in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ABIOMED (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product & great field personnel; hard workers in all aspects on this company.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch - employees are a commodity

"Great Place to Work...If You are into S&M"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product is inspiring and really great to work on. Day to day staff were knowledgeable and fun to work with.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch. They set unrealistic goals and expectations designed to prevent you from getting an outstanding performance review, and therefore, more than the 2% annual raise - which really is not much. They expect an insane amount of hours, and don't compensate individuals who do go above and beyond. Management doesn't know how to manage, and equate management skills with leadership skills...which they equate with military service. Abiomed hired a bunch of military guys with zero industry experience because they had "leadership skills" and put them into management positions, when there were multiple qualified individuals within the company who would have been able to fill those positions and excel at them. Culture is very much sink or swim, with little to no mentor ship, guidance, or support from management. CEO treats the sales team like is golden baby with zero respect or acknowledgment for the HQ staff of clinical, engineering, quality, mfg engineering, and production staff. People feel undervalued, underpaid, and not respected. Environment can be brutal and cut-throat. Cultural barriers with EU location make accomplishing projects difficult.

Advice to Management

Look at the talented people you have working for you! Promote from within! Don't put individuals into positions that they are not qualified for. Show some appreciation to the HQ staff.

"Poor Management"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product saves lives. Coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Very little innovation; changes are only made to product as a result of a problem. Management is not supportive of employees and treats them with a lack of respect. You're told you don't meet expectations after being given little or no direction. Quick fixes are applied to product which don't really solve the problem. There is a culture of mistrust, so employees aren't given very much responsibility. Employees with military backgrounds are given preferential treatment.

Advice to Management

Start innovating. Provide direction and support for your employees instead of pointing fingers.

"No competition...yet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing well financially in the near term and has acquired a unique product.

Cons

No competition is not a good thing - think Comcast. Because the Impella is a unique product without any current competition, there is no incentive to really improve the product. It was acquired in the first place due to Abiomed's lack of innovation and organic growth. There are constant fire drills due to product failures as a result of design flaws that have not been fixed. Once again they can get away with a high failure rate because of the lack of competition. The product is still assembled like a prototype, even though they've owned it for 10 years. No thought of design for manufacturing until just now due to incompetent engineering directors. This will make it very difficult to produce on a large scale, so good luck ramping up production. Once a competitive product comes along (and it will), this place is going to get wiped out.

Advice to Management

Watch out for competition - they're going to eat your lunch!

"A Lot of Kinks to Work Out..."

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Dedication to patient's recovery, modern working space and company is successful in market space. Company has acquired many talented employees.

Cons

Lacking department infrastructure and strong leadership. As there are many new people, there is a sense of disorganization which affects team moral.

Advice to Management

All new managers and directors should be required to attend leadership training. To re-gain team cohesiveness company should invest in team building activities.