ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives (in 12 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here (in 5 reviews)

• If you are, it's a great place to be (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

"production operation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Pros

There are only a few good coworkers who at least try very hard

Cons

Horrible management! Too much stress and expectations without the support.

Advice to Management

Get better "people" supervisor/managers

"Poor Management"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product saves lives. Coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Very little innovation; changes are only made to product as a result of a problem. Management is not supportive of employees and treats them with a lack of respect. You're told you don't meet expectations after being given little or no direction. Quick fixes are applied to product which don't really solve the problem. There is a culture of mistrust, so employees aren't given very much responsibility. Employees with military backgrounds are given preferential treatment.

Advice to Management

Start innovating. Provide direction and support for your employees instead of pointing fingers.

"No competition...yet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing well financially in the near term and has acquired a unique product.

Cons

No competition is not a good thing - think Comcast. Because the Impella is a unique product without any current competition, there is no incentive to really improve the product. It was acquired in the first place due to Abiomed's lack of innovation and organic growth. There are constant fire drills due to product failures as a result of design flaws that have not been fixed. Once again they can get away with a high failure rate because of the lack of competition. The product is still assembled like a prototype, even though they've owned it for 10 years. No thought of design for manufacturing until just now due to incompetent engineering directors. This will make it very difficult to produce on a large scale, so good luck ramping up production. Once a competitive product comes along (and it will), this place is going to get wiped out.

Advice to Management

Watch out for competition - they're going to eat your lunch!

5. "Clinical Consultant"

Current Employee - Field Sales Organization Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Organization Representative

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent product with demonstrated clinical benefit, No direct competitive product, FDA indications, significant amount of scientific evidence to support the technology

Cons

Abiomed hires nurses straight out of the hospital setting, gives them the title "clinical Consultant" and then promptly attempts to turn them into hard core sales people. The level of micro-management in the field organization is absolutely staggering. The Field based sales/clinical managers dont get out into the field- instead, manage by spreadsheet. Between the unrealistic expectations, the number of hours required and the call that is required, the quality of life factor is entirely missing.

Advice to Management

Get out into accounts with reps, live a day in the life so you really understand whats going on. Provide real guidance, support and mentoring instead of asking for another spreadsheet at 9pm on a Tuesdday (Due by 7am Wed).

"Controlled by upper management"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Like all life sciences companies, Abiomed has a great cause. The company creates devices that can save people's lives, as most device companies do.

Cons

There is far too much control by upper management. The mission statement is pushed on everyone but if you're not an executive or in sales & marketing, you don't feel like you're making any type of difference. The culture is very rigid and stiff. The company has been around for a long time and needs a major refresh on 99% of its culture, employee benefits, etc as it still operates like it's the early 90's era.

Advice to Management

Relinquish some control, treat the employees in manufacturing, engineering and other non-customer-facing departments with some respect.

"Disappointed in how the company has changed in so little time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Pros

Pay was good. Fellow employees are excellent. CEO is outstandingly nice.

Cons

There is a supervisor that is corrupt. Who has made employee moral go completely down. The Management does not for a second listen to the constructive criticism from workers. All management cares about is numbers rising. Which in turn is making quality of products decreased. Micro managing people for no reason.

Advice to Management

Step it up. Listen. Care. Should have employees do an anonymous yearly review on supervisor.

"great"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great product; saves lives; intelligent people

Cons

work life balance; CEO surrounds himself with "YES" people. Not really interested in honest and open feedback from rank and file

Advice to Management

don't overlook the value of the non-commercial employees

9. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at ABIOMED (More than 3 years)

Pros

New technology in medical industry

Cons

Growing pain to management. A lot of wastes in operation.

"analyst"

Pros

Fast growing company. The company is expanding the facility and hiring more talent people. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Old-fashioned management. The company doesn't care how to make employees happy and motivated. It's hiring a lot but the management doesn't know how to provide good growth opportunities to keep talent people. I won't recommend young and ambitious people to work here.

Advice to Management

Instead of claiming "Patients first", the company should emphasize "Employee first". It's only when the employees feel happy at work, they will work hard to serve patients.