ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Pros
  • Employees are dedicated to the mission of "Saving Lives (in 14 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing at a unprecedented rate and space is tight (in 3 reviews)

• However, being fully committed to saving lives sometimes means sometimes sacrificing on our own personal work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

2. "Administrator"

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

met some very nice people

Cons

Expect you to work 24/7, or be ready by phone. Will work you to the bone and then rip you down. Upper management is brutal and if you have a family, say good bye to them on your first day. You won't see them after that.

Advice to Management

Realize that women have families and would like to see them.. You do not see many women with children stay long.

"Why I love working at Abiomed"

Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Great product ... product that really saves people
    2. Great people ... I enjoy working with my colleagues. We all work and play hard.
    3. Size of company ... I have worked in the very bigs and start-ups, but really enjoy this size of company
    4. I have had wonderful bosses since being here. They stay out of my sandbox unless I need some guidance
    5. Teams come together and bond, which makes doing the work that much easier

Cons

1. Sometimes hard to leave because the work is so interesting
    2. Sometimes hard to leave because there is more work (but I would rather have plenty than not enough)
    3. Medical plan needs to be improved. My career has been in medical and this is the worst plan yet

"Great Company Full of Great People!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Obviously, the work and mission of Abiomed is the best. Recovering Hearts and Saving Lives is our culture and is evident in every hall, every cubicle and at every event. I have worked for a few different companies in varying industries and have never been as happy as I have been since joining Abiomed. Every employee plays an integral role in each patient success story and that is constantly reiterated by senior management. The building is full of amazing people who work hard and are also really fun!

Cons

Yes, our INTERNAL culture needed to improve and IT IS - we just needed the additional manpower to be dedicated to that necessary endeavor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Rapidly growing"

Pros

Fast pace, energetic, good product, saving lives. Co is growing, investment on renovations onof facility in Danvers, will make a state of the art training and manufacturing facility.

Cons

lots of unescessary red tape. Top management makes final decisions on EVERYTHING. being reactive instead of proactive. Growing pains from small-med to large company

Advice to Management

Let go of ego

"Production Mananger"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Exciting Growth Company
    World Class Product
    World Class Manufacturing

Cons

High expectations for every employee

"Incredibly mission driven"

Current Employee - Manager in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never worked at a company so focused on doing what's right for patients. Leadership is dedicated and inspiring. Tremendous growth happening with really friendly co-workers who care about each other. Highly recommend if you're looking for work at a place where you can make a difference in other people's lives

Cons

As a growing company, we're continually evolving to create infrastructure and scale for the future. Growing pains can be tough, but employees are empowered to build what the future of Abiomed will look like.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, reach for the stars, keep laser focus on patients

9. "Great Mission - Culture Needs a Reboot"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Danvers, MA

I worked at ABIOMED full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Impella is an amazing product that really helps "Recover Hearts and Save Lives". Management does a good job of helping employees connect with patients. The passion of the entire organization to save lives is unreal. I still feel a great sense of pride having been a part of the Abiomed mission.

Cons

Management is very top-heavy. If you are not part of the "inner circle" don't expect your voice to be heard. Engineering is very disorganized and has problems taking on too many projects without a disciplined release plan. Projects are chosen by directors and often do not reflect what is best for customers. Pet projects are added after annual planning and resources are assigned putting an even greater strain on the organization.

The staff is filled with toxic type-A personalities who bully others into submission. You are expected to work 8a-6p and coworkers often tease you for leaving "early" at 5pm. Burnout is a major issue with the culture. Employees are stressed, stretched thin, and are treated like commodities rather than people. There are no casual days; jeans are not allowed. Management expects all employees to be dressed in business casual attire to impress VIP visitors.

Career growth opportunities could be improved. Promotions are generally time-based. If you are given the opportunity to lead a program or initiative be prepared that you will be micromanaged and will likely not get to implement your ideas. If you are a young engineer looking to "make your mark" this may not be the culture for you.

Employee recognition for a job well done is often forgotten and if it is remembered it feels robotic and forced. Management has improved on this, but still has to be reminded to thank their employees for finishing projects.

Advice to Management

Meet with other companies in the area to see how other companies work. Measure hard work through goals and milestones and not time cards. Provide growth opportunities for young engineers and give them a chance to try new ideas.

Listen to your consultants who you hire to help you improve. Try following their advice first then modify to fit Abiomed, rather than assume Abiomed's way is better.

Lighten up and have fun! Jeans and sneakers aren't going to make people less productive. Happy employees are more productive, less stressed, and healthier!

10. "Abiomed"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Great device that really does help the patient. They also pay very well.they have the best national meetings I have ever been to.

Cons

Lots of call, I worked many weekends and holidays. I was out of town typically two or three days per week.

Advice to Management

I wish that I had much more autonomy with my job, if they gave employees more freedom to work I think that everyone would enjoy the company more.

11. "Field Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Danvers, MA

Pros

Outstanding technology, people care exponentially more about patients than any company I have ever been with and it's infectious. Senior leadership is passionate about the cause and it translates to the field...They drive you hard but it is a very rewarding job. Engagement on all levels of the company is high. People are quick to respond to issues and consistent expansion of the technology.

Cons

You are either passionate about patients and the opportunity to be a part of saving lives or you are not. If you are, it's a great place to be. If you aren't, it might not be a good fit. Expectations are high and without a "driver" mentality, it is like going from college to Pro in terms of the magnitude of the job however the rewards are there as is the environment to learn.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the technology and the team.