ABIOMED Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
ABIOMED Chairman, President and CEO Michael R. Minogue
Michael R. Minogue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees here are held together by a common purpose: saving lives (in 12 reviews)

• great product; saves lives; intelligent people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's virtually impossible to have a work/life balance here (in 6 reviews)

• If you are, it's a great place to be (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I feel honored to be able to work here"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined thinking I would enjoy working with these folks, and I do.
    I thought the work would be good, and I could make an impact because of the high growth and the company's need for someone with my skills, and that also proved to be correct.

I didn't expect that I would get such satisfaction because of the work we do, the patients we impact and the lives we save. All the employees bond together for a common goal: to save lives.

More important than the stock price or the number of units made or sold, Abiomed really cares about the patient outcomes - the lives saved. That is what motivates employees and runs Abiomed.

Not exactly what I expected when I joined this company - but a really nice surprise. I will be sticking around here for quite some time.

I am sure I could find some slightly higher salary, or some slightly better benefit, or a place with ping pong tables/massage tables/manicures, but I can't find another place where I can bond with coworkers and help to save lives and feel like I am making a real difference in my life.

Cons

I really would rather this company be closer to my home, but I can live with this.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

2. "Abiomed is not for everyone"

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Unlike working in other industries, you know that what you are doing will help save lives
    Feel good about the patients you are helping
    Beautiful building with an amazing cafeteria and outdoor space

Cons

The atmosphere is often tense
    a lot of backstabbing
    its not really a fun place to work but If you can ignore some peoples attitudes and not let yourself become involved, you'll be okay
    No onsite gym. We have so much space and plenty of room for one. With the hours we are often asked to work it would make things a lot easier to have access to a fitness facility onsite.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic expectations and don't punish people for making mistakes then maybe people will be less scared

"I was asked to leave a glowing review by HR but I'm telling the truth instead"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for financial security and stability then Abiomed meets the criteria. The company is hugely successful and will be around for a very long time.

Cons

If you are looking for a positive office environment where employees are treated well and respected, despite their place on the food chain, the Abiomed is not the place for you. The culture is very strict and employees are egregiously micro managed. It is very difficult to take ownership of your work or your career here. This isn't helped by the fact that people are terrified to make even minor mistakes or admit to not knowing something, so there isn't really a chance to learn and grow either.

Advice to Management

Try earning your positive reviews honestly by reworking the culture instead of asking your employees to lie for you

"Throw out your office culture playbook from 1983 and jump into 2017."

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

The mission is solid. I believe that upper management believes in it fully and that helping patients is the number one priority as an organization right after making a lot of money

Cons

Leadership's ideas on what makes a great culture are so incredibly dated and backwards. Leadership hates the term "work life balance", wants everyone in the office at the same time, and to work no less then 10 hours with no overtime. Expressing an opinion that counters with leadership's beliefs automatically means that you don't care about patients, your job and that you lack work ethic, and will quickly put you in their bad books. Forget about working from home - even during a blizzard - the only person allowed to do that is the CEO. The saddest thing is that employees have tried expressing their concerns year after year, but they are always ignored! Leadership wants a group of drones who don't ask questions, don't try to improve their circumstances and are totally on board with managements methods, regardless of how old fashioned and unhealthy they are.

Advice to Management

Quit your membership to the Flat Earth Society and get with the times. It's not that hard .

"Great device but difficult working conditions"

I worked at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Life saving technology. Dedicated field team and engineers. Commitment to excellence.

Cons

Unfair and unrealistic expectations. Inadequate attention to existing customers in favor of adding new customers. Unnecessary number of "false starts" and wasted effort. Lack of diversity in management.

Advice to Management

Distribute the authority along with the responsibility. Empower managers and defend their decisions.

"No Gender Diversity At The Top"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission with a good strategy

Cons

No women on the leadership team other than HR. Why? No real diversity at all.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring executives that look just like you.

7. "So happy to be at Abiomed!"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Abiomed has a fantastic culture driven by our mission. Just being here for a bit you can't help but be energized by the patient stories lining the wall. Everyone has been very helpful and will go above and beyond to make you feel settled. The recruiting and ob-boarding experience has been flawless. It has been very easy to transition into my role. Very excited to be here

Cons

None that I see!

"Disappointed in how the company has changed in so little time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Pros

Pay was good. Fellow employees are excellent. CEO is outstandingly nice.

Cons

There is a supervisor that is corrupt. Who has made employee moral go completely down. The Management does not for a second listen to the constructive criticism from workers. All management cares about is numbers rising. Which in turn is making quality of products decreased. Micro managing people for no reason.

Advice to Management

Step it up. Listen. Care. Should have employees do an anonymous yearly review on supervisor.

"Turning into one of the other bad cultured companies on the same street"

Current Employee - Cleanroom Associate in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Cleanroom Associate in Danvers, MA

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Patients first really is the mission everyday. And everyday the people that work at Abiomed are proud to be working there knowing what they do has impacts on patients. There is always constant change which is good but some have been bad.

Cons

Ever since the company has grown and the clean room has scaled up, it seems the company has forgotten about abiomed culture. And the fact that they now treat the people who build/assemble the products like nothing. The moral and motivation has gone down due to management hiring supervisors from other companies down the street who have shown they do not possess Abiomed's culture. There used to be a sense of trust and openness to speak with Supervisors. Now there is micromanaging and someone constantly hovering over. There is constant hiring/firing in the cleanroom. This should speak volumes about how bad the management has become. The fact that this is constant means the quality of how product is made will constantly suffer.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote from within instead of hiring from outside. Employees get reviews and the Supervisors need to be assessed as well. They should also have to attend people skills training and supervisor training. You are slowly losing good employees due to bad management and bad supervisors.

10. "The sky is the limit"

I have been working at ABIOMED full-time

Pros

Challenging work environment. Rewarding product.

Cons

Systems in place need improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees! Keep it up!