ABM Industries Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

2.2
ABM Industries President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Salmirs
Scott Salmirs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and hours make own schedule (in 28 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits package and offers multiple discounts to employees, as well as competitive perks (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay basically starting at minimum wage no room for advancement benefits are not that good unless you been there forever (in 32 reviews)

• It felt like we had little to no support from upper management when it came to issues with our client (in 30 reviews)

"Accounting Supervisor"

Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big changes going on that will be beneficial for the company once they are all in place. The managers were good people and the company seems to be a good place to work. I wasn't with them long enough to give a better response.

Cons

My only issue with ABM is that I always got push back from my boss when I asked for more things to do. I wasn't given the opportunity to work with my supervisor to grow into what she needed. I always felt like I was hired as a body to cover a potentially serious situation and eliminate a crisis. When they had enough people to do the job, I felt my position was eliminated (I suspect due to lack of need at the time) and didn't offer me another position within the company - even if would have been a step down.

Advice to Management

Don't hire what you don't need. Give someone enough time to learn the job to shine; offer alternatives when that doesn't work out.

"Accounting, Payroll and HR"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been in business for years.

Cons

The fraud is rampant in the company. If you are unwilling to violate your ethics this is not the company for you. There are numerous examples of reportable ethics violations by their management. Everyone is some for of VP. Controllers and mid tier management cook the books on a regular basis. A number of employees are pulling together data to report to the SEC the violations they have noted. If looking for a job here be cautious as they are a good candidate to be bought out and totally gutted...too top heavy.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your board. Tell them you have some rogue factions in you company. Tell them that you are unable to move due to unskilled employees in key management positions. After that do something about it...until then fraud will continue to run rampant in the organization.

3. "Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Salary and bonus were good

Cons

Management not so great. Unprofessional and no room to advance.

"Easy Pickings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Given autonomy to get the job done
    Coworkers make a great family environment

Cons

Lack of guidance and support when needed
    White Men's club, very little opportunities for female and minorities
    Everyone scrambles to become a part of the inner circle
    Union friendly

Advice to Management

Continue to work on your diversity initiatives and look at why the Hispanics, while a majority of the workforce in many of your cities, are a minority in the management team.

"Going down the tubes fast"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Houston, TX

Pros

A good starting place to learn and then get the hell out, and fast. Minorities are not messed with as much, HR is scared to death of (more) lawsuits. Stock is going up thanks to the pimple-faced MBAs at Boston Consulting Group who helped ABM effect the layoff of over a hundred long time top performers.

Cons

As a former senior leader within the company's executive group, I can say that this company has no regard for any of it's people and will burn anyone and everyone to give the perception of success to the shareholders and Wall Street. The company is now completely run by the Janitorial cronies and they are doing everything they can to fill their own pockets with stock and bonuses before this gravy train for them goes over the cliff. Most of them are at or near retirement age and do not care about the long-term benefit of company, it's people or mission. Sad to see this happen to a 100+ year old company and I'm sure the founders are now rolling over in their graves.

Advice to Management

Nothing that will help these megalomaniacs but I hope they are prepared for the storm coming as the result of the massive leadership layoffs who will, and have, found new footholds with competitive companies. They are coming to eat your lunch, so not sure who else they can layoff to help make their falsely inflated numbers in 2017.

6. "Large company with some good people"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Houston, TX

Pros

Large company; stable and diversified; great people in the Facility Services and Government Services and Electrical Services divisions.

Cons

Large company; can get lost in shuffle

7. "Risk and Safety Perspective"

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

1. Safety focus has escalated and is positively impacting OSHA rates.
    2. Focus upon reducing the cost of risk has resulted in programs that allocate loss costs back to the organization incurring the loss

Cons

1. Ratio of Safety professionals to employees is inadequate and frequency continues to be a problem.
    2. Markets served (janitorial, healthcare, parking, education, high tech) produce high frequency of losses and significant organizational costs to fund auto liability, general liability, and workers' compensation claim costs.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus upon improving and supporting safety and risk management programs.

8. "UGH"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great security officers on site

Cons

Never help their employees, always stuck working 12 hr days or sometimes longer, unwilling to show appreciation, HR never returns phone calls

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over with fresh ops managers and office staff

9. "good company"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Houston, TX

I worked at ABM Industries (More than 8 years)

Pros

ABM security is great. They aware of their officer. They like to know their employee by name.they is organization

Cons

Don't have a downside. This company help me to be a great office. I loved it,first time doing security, and abm gave me a chance.

Advice to Management

Nothing

10. "The company paid you on your experience."

Former Employee - Security Site Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Security Site Supervisor in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of O.T. great sites and client.

Cons

Management stucks all over the place.