ABM Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
ABM Industries President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Salmirs
Scott Salmirs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay and hours make own schedule (in 28 reviews)

• The company has a good benefits package and offers multiple discounts to employees, as well as competitive perks (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay basically starting at minimum wage no room for advancement benefits are not that good unless you been there forever (in 33 reviews)

• It felt like we had little to no support from upper management when it came to issues with our client (in 31 reviews)

1. "Don't work here"

Current Employee - Cleaner
    Current Employee - Cleaner

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have to deal with people except co workers and supervisor

Cons

Supervisor will treat you like garbage. Over worked. Underpaid. All spanish speakers. Everyone is in your business. Upper management doesn't care and if you don't have a wiener; you won't be heard.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to employees and clients. You're employee knows the location better than you do. Respect your employees. My supervisor have been sexually harrassing me for months before it finally stopped

2. "SUCKS!"

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

None, horrible balance of work and life

Cons

Everything stop being jerks. pay more!

Advice to Management

stop being horroble

3. "They don't care about you, and they show it."

Former Employee - Valet in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Valet in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many, but at least management doesn't get involved with much so you have some freedom.

Cons

Lack of communication from everyone. Calls and emails are basically ignored. Rude people in Human resources. Just an overall feeling of neglect and a sense of lack of worth to the company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you actually value them. I was an employee with the company for 9 years and recently moved to another state and when I asked about transferring to a location in my new state I was told to just go on the company website and apply. I don't get it, usually when an employee for a company requests a transfer it's simple, the manager contacts the desired location and if there's an opening then the employee is transferred. Not here, it's basically as if you don't even transfer anyone, they have to apply online as if you were never with the company at all. Zero loyalty. I will never work for this company again and would never refer anyone to work for ABM.

4. "Building Lead"

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have none nothing good

Cons

Management knows nothing about running a company ...they have no common sense and all they see is $ . It is never about their employees . Management positions are given within the company with little or no training .They do not care for their employees . They hire anybody just to get the positions filled ...so they do not not have to hear from their clients. They promote employers in a building where they were kicked out of from client without there knowledge ........They do not back their employee's ...they side with client because they are afraid of losing the account ...again $ is all they see.

Advice to Management

Employee's first before $ and client ....you have lost many great workers because of it
      .Screen management more thoroughly.

"HandyMan"

Current Employee - Handyman in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Handyman in New York, NY

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not Much For All The Things They Kill it With The Bad Thing

Cons

No support. It's an inside joke that ABM stands for "All By Myself." You'll be asked to do the workload of 3 people so they can save money. Literally know stories of them cutting a team to one person and giving the one left standing the option of doing the job of all three or being jobless.

Completely unprofessional workforce because they pay so far below market rate for management that you have bottom of the barrel people "leading." The stupidity you have to put up with on a daily basis is astounding.

If that isn't enough, sexual harassment is rampant at all levels. Payroll issues are constant it makes you wonder why they dont change. Well, the simple answer is because they dont have to. A large percentage of our workforce isn't knowledgeable enough to know their rights or they're too afraid to lose their job. But ABM would lose millions if all their employees took them to the labor board and held them accountable. They have hourly employees with zero education in charge of hundreds of pay checks... They could just make managers responsible but god forbid they hold ops accountable. Let the lowest paid person shoulder the burden while managers stay on vacation.

Oh and their COBC? Not worth the paper it's written on. If you complain or report they will retaliate and will scheme to find a way to fire you. But occasionally someone will take them to court and get paid

Advice to Management

Wake up

6. "Floor Tech"

Current Employee - Floor Tech in Middleburg Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Floor Tech in Middleburg Heights, OH

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR will work with you when you need time off as long as you have advance knowledge of the dates.

Cons

ABM policies are contradictory to policies of the hospital their employees work in. Hospital says don't come to work sick. ABM gives you get 6 sick days a year, but if you use them you get written up - so you better come to work sick. The policy is also applied unevenly - favourites don't get written up and are permitted to make up days. Much favouritism shown in all aspects (who gets best assignments, overtime, etc.). Supervisors have been known to drink on the job, fraternize, and generally not supervise. Employees are given no direction, resulting in a huge waste of man-hours. Disorganization - half the time there are no chemicals to clean with and when there are chemicals, they're not readily available - you get to play the "in search of " game. Equipment is ancient and in poor repair, if functioning at all.

Advice to Management

While attendance is important, bringing further illness into a hospital is counter-productive. Accept doctor's notes regarding illness with no write up. Hire some managers who have a clue about supervision . Hire a Director who can actually cares about running the place efficiently and effectively. Maintain sufficient chemicals and equipment.

7. "DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Former Employee - Contractor in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Contractor in White Plains, NY

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay $14.60 but not long!

Cons

I only work there for 2 weeks!! 2 weeks & im suppose be there for 3 plus months cause it's seasonal & there unorganized. They will just drop you if they don't need you nomore like it's nothing. If I was probably Spanish they would've kept me there longer because Hispanic heritage runs that company!

Advice to Management

If your not Hispanic or Spanish I advice you not to work there!

8. "ABM Janitorial at Golden 1 Center Worst Company in America!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ABM Industries part-time

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

Night manager drinks and does drugs on the job, new faces every month, treat you like garbage, don't apply here!

Advice to Management

Karma will get you eventually, you greedy evil company!

9. "To good to be true"

Current Employee - Healthcare Specialist
    Current Employee - Healthcare Specialist

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

Flexible with scheduling needs.
    Payed training.

Cons

Job listing said $16-$17 hour. Currently receiving $14hr.
    Paychecks sent to incorrect location.
    Payroll contact number on ABM site is disconnected.
    I'm still waiting for my 1st pay check after a month of employment. Even though I have direct deposit. Management has failed to provide me with any answers.
    They only hire minorities to work in unskilled positions.
    Waited 2 months for ABM to finalize contract with client after being hired.
    Benefits cost for hourly employees is deducted from paycheck. And based on how many ours you work. 9.2% deducted for every hour you work.

Healthcare management office is located in a parking garage.

This company specializes in outsourcing jobs. For companies looking to save money. Lowest bidder wins/people desperate for work.
    So don't expect the most knowledgeable or professional management

"All By Myself (sing it with me)!"

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

Can be a manager or higher with no college degree... Just need to be patient long enough to outlast the rest. Or cover for a repeat sexual harasser and you can be fast tracked to the top!

Cons

Oh and their COBC? Not worth the paper it's written on. If you complain or report they will retaliate and will scheme to find a way to fire you. but occasionally someone will take them to court and get paid. so know your rights (although having your name attached to a lawsuit isn't great either).

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable. Get a clue what is going on in the organization. Get a new payroll system for the love of god the first rule of employee satisfaction is getting paid correctly and on time!! And lastly, be willing to pay for good talent. You will run the company into the ground by promoting the worst of the worst because they're willing to work for gutter wages.