ABS Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Grove

1. ""This is an exceptional workplace environment with a culture angled at innovation and enjoying hard work.""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at ABS Group full-time

Pros

Dedicated leadership with innovative direction. Motivated and dedicated teams that work smart for their clients. Continuous learning leveraging industry best practices. Really interesting career. The strongest aspect of this organization is its close-knit feel with the amenities of a big organization.

Cons

Challenging geographical area as standard of living is high for daycare and other living expenses. Offset by support for parking and metro expenses in many locations and annual review for competitive salaries.

Advice to Management

Continue to learn and improve.

"Its ok, could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, flexibility of work hours, decent work environment, benefits are really good, career growth is getting "better".

Cons

Where do I start? No matter what anyone says, Bureau, the parent company, and Group do not get along. Bureau can care less about making Group successful, and Group is so busy playing the victim nothing of substance ever gets done. The new CEO seems nice, but the COO really runs the company. Executives never talk to employees - ever. I have worked here for more than 5 years and my VP has never talked to me. I do no think he even knows I work here. Despite the other complaints of employees about career growth, this has gotten a little better over the last couple of years. Still not up to par, but at least people are talking about it more and I now get a performance review. The only other thing is that the leaders do not lead. They just sit in offices being reactive.

Advice to Management

Get our of your offices and lead. Be worried about more than your bonuses and be proactive.

"No growth. Horrible leadership."

Former Employee - Marketing in Panorama City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Panorama City, CA

I worked at ABS Group (More than a year)

Pros

In oil and gas industry

Cons

No career growth. Located in Greenspoint. Management isn't really forward thinking and very reactive instead of proactive. I understand the downturn in the industry/economy but there's still a way to handle employee communications, business decisions, etc.

Culture is old and outdated. Not a lot of room to be creative or actually OWN your projects. They recently updated the website which was a great step in a good direction. But the culture and values and goals etc are still outdated.

Advice to Management

Be more creative and proactive

5. "Love this Job"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ABS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot say this for many of my past jobs, but ABS has been great about introducing me to topics I am unfamiliar with, where I have the ability to learn a new field or a new skill. I have also participated in numerous skill-building exercises in both technical and non-technical topics. Managers really seem to care about their employees and act as a mentor when necessary.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to get on a project of your own choice. It appears as though you can only work on projects if there is a need for more people on them.

Advice to Management

Always keep employees busy with a variety of different assignments.

"Systems Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ABS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work. good work life balance.

Cons

Silo'd departments, middle and upper management that are self preservational - no risk taking and weak vision. Don't seem to understand their customers nor seem to be able to communicate value proposition to them. Outside of IT - poor field support. Training and development was difficult to secure or plan. Corporate was more concerned about satisfying internal programs ( i.e office safety - how to avoid injury opening/closing file cabinet etc ) as opposed to generating new sales or dealing with field operations.

Advice to Management

weed out non value add middle program managers, cross train vigorously, get field operations more involved in business development for VOC and value proposition

7. "Good people"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at ABS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, management is open to ideas. Benefits were recently improved and the people are incredibly nice.

Cons

Implementing new ideas is a little bureaucratic. The on-boarding process was confusing and the internal IT systems (computers, images) pretty much suck.

Advice to Management

Outsource your IT to a top tier provider. Make it easier - and recommended - for employees to publish externally. Reconcile references and sales material to gain more value from it.

"No Career Growth or Communication"

Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX

I worked at ABS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are man and great with building professional relationships based on golfing, drinking and inappropriate sexual relationships, this is the place for you!

Cons

Extremely old-school company who's VPs have quickly hired inexperienced, cheaper managers who have been fired from previous companies to restructure their own. Management favors men and ridicules women unless the women stroke their ego. Management also keeps non-professional relationships with HR and the women on the team.
    You will have to work several extra hours but try not to because you won't get any recognition for it. If you are in a technology-based occupation, good luck trying to get your department to offer the right tools for you to do your job successfully (i.e. laptop or email access from home).
    There is no plan for career growth, training or promotions. Management doesn't even offer reviews.

Advice to Management

You are outsourcing more work which is more expensive than the current in-house team who are waiting for supportive management and communication to make a difference within the company. Management is lazy and therefore finding loopholes in the budget to outsource jobs that they are paid (handsomely) to do themselves.
    This company is wasting money and has so much potential but the executives are too old and unskilled to save it.

"Decent place to work, horrible location"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at ABS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable workload with realistic deadlines, good medical benefits (but very very costly) and decent time off. Some very good people to work with in almost every department.

Cons

Located in a horrible, crime-ridden area of Houston (Greenspoint). Medical benefits are extremely expensive, office environment is quiet, grey and depressing. Not a lot of mobility and no defined organizational structure with a clear path for employees.

Advice to Management

Consider moving your offices, it's part of the reason I left.

"Work There For 49 Days or Less and Get A Bad Credit rating and Rental History"

Former Employee - Principal Structural Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Structural Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at ABS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is very low stress but nonexistent. They will allow you to attend classes to expand your knowledge. That's all I can say.

Cons

You will get to experience being Milton from the movie Office Space in real life.

Nothing is set up for you on the first day such as the company computer or expense accounts. They never reinmburse you for relocation expenses like they claim. The boss will yell at you for bringing in your own laptop to do work. The boss yells at you for not having any work to do even though he never assigns you any. Expect to have a ruined rental history and bad credit rating thanks to ABS. Company makes you pay for all your medical insurance.

The interviews take place outside the office because they do not want to sppok the person they are replacing. They post ads for positions that don't exist. They will lie to your face about having work. They are great at wasting people's time.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises and compensate people for the expenses you claim to. Hire managers that know how to hire people. Make sure your comapny is actually organized.

"Be prepared for dissapointment."

Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX

Pros

They have decent pay and good benefits. They are a respected company in the industry. There was always something interesting going on for each holiday and the HR staff seemed to be good at organizing that kind of thing. Most upper management was knowlegeable, if not "caring".

Cons

Management is unsupportive, incommunicative, and combative at times. Work/home balance is almost impossible because of these issues. Possibly was the department head, but these concerns were never addressed by anyone in HR or senior management.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of the "little guy".