ACCO Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boris Elisman

Pros
  • The corporate environment is relaxed and the company provides for a good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were excellent as was the severance package (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance with the workload that results (in 8 reviews)

• Not every department allows people to work from home (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for- excellent work-life balance"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been very happy with my employment at ACCO. Outstanding 401K match, vacation and other benefits. Communication from the top is consistent and open. Good people , nice office.

Cons

Can be a bit political and stuffy.

2. "ACCO Brands"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good work-life balance
    Open office atmosphere

Cons

Communication sometimes lacking
    Can be a bit noisy in some departments

Advice to Management

Recognition at all levels of the organization would be a plus.

3. "ACCO is a great company to work for"

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

ACCO continues to build upon its strength in its core products through acquisitions and growth. The company looks for opportunities to continuously improve and management is open to these suggestions. The corporate environment is relaxed and the company provides for a good work/life balance.

Cons

Growth through acquisitions does lead to the need to align processes and systems and in some cases this has taken some time to execute.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for growth opportunities.

5. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Booneville, MS

Pros

I work with a great bunch of people.

Cons

My only compliant it there could be better communication among the employees.

Advice to Management

Improve communication on all levels of the company.

6. "Financial Management Associate 2nd Year"

Current Employee - Financial Management Associate in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Management Associate in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as an FMA at ACCO Brands is extremely rewarding. Since the program is rotational, you get the chance to rotate between the different departments in finance. Being able to see all the "gears in motion" of company (from a finance perspective) is a non-stop learning environment. It's truly exceptional that management has the flexibility for FMAs to rotate through their departments. If you're always looking for something new, leading projects using Six Sigma tools, and having a willingness to always learn new processes, being an FMA at ACCO Brands is definitely for you.

Cons

The IT department can be slow at fixing your "IT issue" and sometimes the office can be a bit quiet but you can plug in your ear buds and listen to music. Honestly, compared to my last job (public accountant for a small firm), being able to ask managers questions, not having to work mandatory Saturdays, and actually having a work/life balance is more than I could ask for. Based on prior work experience, there are no major cons when working for ACCO.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the "open atmosphere" of the office, having a "flat" management, and an "open door" policy are all great for employees involvement with ACCO as a whole.

7. "Yikes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at ACCO Brands part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid me at a reasonable rate per my area of interest. Coworkers can be considered outgoing. Office space is modern.

Cons

Where do I begin...abusive work culture. End of story. A few months ago I heard that some employee on the floor above me passed out and fainted like a goat. That's not word of mouth, I walked up to the floor to use the restroom and heard crying and saw people cleared away from their desks. I don't know if it was sales, marketing, or finance.

Regardless, awful company culture in the Lake Zurich office all around. Managers are blind and brown nosing for a promotion, no management exists. Direction at creative is lacking. Projects get short deadlines, and a long term plan for the next quarter is never put in place with a specific message

I even had a friend join the sales force for GBC, per my association with the company. It's a call mill with heavy politics. Schmoozers get special treatment, but if you get 3 weeks of bad luck, management begins to point fingers and find reasons to squeeze you out at sales. Even if you have good numbers the next 2 months.

Overall the company puts a lot of pressure on lower work force. If you're management, you're in the clear and home free. This actually might be desirable if you are management level, because you won't ever be held accountable. Anything lower, take the most recent interview and run the opposite direction as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

You're in a shrinking business, who buys day planners that isn't already 50+ anyways? You need the workforce more than they need you if you want sustained growth. Give better benefits, stop acquiring assets and start protecting employees who can grow and maybe, with time, they'll create something worthwhile for ultimately a notebook and backpack company.

8. "Terrible company to start a career - 45+ Great place to work until death/retirement (which ever comes first)"

Former Employee - Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like sifting through politics, doing just what is expected (Nothing more), waiting patiently to have your work noticed (If you're lucky), taking on extra work (from your coworkers who smart up and quit), connecting the dots on your own, this is the place for you!!!!

Cons

Conservative company culture (Not willing to change). Some of their management does not know what to do and spends their days figuring out how to not get fired, by shifting blame on others, rather than working on their jobs. Very short term mindset, everything is quarter to quarter so they will screw you on everything (from an employment perspective, and working with vendors). Business is dying, entire business strategy is to merge and acquire, since there it is a no growth market, and management is resistant to innovate. Management is short sighted, they have no idea how to think strategically and employees are expendable in their eyes.

Advice to Management

Quit, and let competent people take your place and stop treating young talent as expendable.

9. "Order Entry"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Booneville, MS

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay
    fun place to work
    good benefits
    very diverse company

Cons

communication and organization in certain departments could be a little better

10. "A Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, excellent pay and benefits, relaxed corporate culture.

Cons

Sometimes the company's priorities can shift on a dime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work - we continue to get stronger each and every year!

11. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people, culture, flexibility, location, facilities

Cons

limited IT department, data spread out among many sources and hard to get comparisons