ACES Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Kristin Farmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No opportunities for full-time work unless you're a supervisor (in 14 reviews)

• There is a very high turnover due to the low pay (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Technician in Fresno, CA

I have been working at ACES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have never worked for a company that was so passionate about their employees and actually has values that they uphold. All of my Supervisors take the time to prep me for success by caring about my goals. I believe one of the reasons I am passionate about my job is because of the way I was trained and introduced into the field.

Cons

The key to this job is to be passionate.

May 9, 2017

Thanks for the great feedback! Our supervisors are passionate about their teams and we know that training is key to their success. We believe that every employee should be set-up to win in a new role... More

2. "ACES is on the right track"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ACES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself is very enjoyable! I love that I can use my skills to help the autism population. The training was super helpful and I think that I will be able to use what I learned in all my future endeavors. I particularly liked the hands on parts of the training. The supervisors seem very approachable and are very knowledgeable.

Cons

I hear that they are making good progress to be more competitive in their pay. It's more expensive in the Bay so I am glad that they understand that and I hope they will continue to make sure that staff can afford to live here.

Advice to Management

Keep working on getting your compensation up to where it needs to be for the Bay Area. There are so many people who would love to be able to do what they love and also be able to pay their bills.

3. "Love what I do!"

Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Therapist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ACES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just love the kids I work with! This is one of those fun and rewarding careers. Don't get me wrong it can be challenging and you can feel unappreciated at times but then you have a breakthrough with a client and it feels so good to know you helped that client and you taught them something meaningful. The ACES supervisors and leadership team are awesome as well, just a great team!

Cons

I don't like driving between clients but I have found this is common in field and ACES does a good job minimizing travel in schedule.

4. "Could use improvements"

I have been working at ACES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers are fantastic
    -Work is meaningful
    -Schedule is somewhat flexible

Cons

-Organization and communication within the internal organization needs a LOT of work

Advice to Management

Make sure you continue to challenge your employees and look to them for hiring up. There's nothing worse than putting in a lot of time with an organization and having them hire from the outside.

Jul 18, 2017

We really do appreciate you taking the time to give us a review and we couldn't agree more. Our staff are the best! It is inspiring to watch as a group of individuals come together in a common... More

5. "Plan On Staying!"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at ACES full-time

Pros

Make your own schedule, flex time is great, PTO and benefits are good, freedom to use clinical judgments and control client progress, opportunities for advancement, great team in the office!! Supervisors access bonus for extra billing and frequent rewards for performance.

Cons

This company does not value lower level employees leading to high turn over- hard to get benefits, no holidays or holiday pay for that matter, hours fluctuate which is expected but little effort is made to help with this from scheduling. Overall the processes in place complicate things rather than simplify (clocking in/out, getting paid, scheduling, reporting processes). The CEU opportunities.

Advice to Management

Improve the culture and appreciation for line staff within the company. Provide access to ABA conferences and up to date research outside of the company.

6. "Good place for a part time job"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in Concord, CA

I worked at ACES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor was awesome and helpful. Each session is 3 hours long and children/teens are in school during the day but if you're looking to work 20 or less hours a week it can be arranged. If you have had no experience in this type of position you will be scared and hesitant in the beginning because the supervisor is only with you during the first session with the child. After that, you are on your own going to the family's house and it is scary. Even though I had worked with kids for 2 years prior I was very nervous for my first day because they don't adequately train you. I had to figure things out for myself and I asked my supervisor a whole bunch of questions but after a few sessions of being with the child you will get the hang of it. It's a good place to get your foot in the door. This was my first post-college job and it has prepared me well for other jobs working with families and children. I was paid a starting rate of $19 per hour.

Cons

It is impossible to be hired full time as a Behavior Interventionist. No opportunities for full-time work unless you're a supervisor. Getting your first client will take weeks because the receptionists in the office are so slow to do things and are disorganized. They lost some of my hire paperwork and I showed up to one of my trainings and the receptionist said she forgot to call me to let me know it's been cancelled.. The ipads are always glitching and everyone complains about it but no one actually does anything to fix it.

Jul 18, 2017

Hello and thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review. It is good to hear that this field and job was able to prepare you in your career path and that you had great support from... More

7. "It's okay, but pay is low"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at ACES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture within my local office is great. Everyone is supportive and has a great attitude. There is minimal drama and everyone's top priority seems to be our clients. This company is big on promoting from within and they will help pay for your education and training to get you there.

Cons

As a whole the company can be inflexible and want every office to be identical and do things the same way, regardless of the culture of where the office is located and whether or not it makes sense for the physical layout of the office or the types of clients they serve. New policies and often rolled out with little notice or forethought leaving people stressed out and scrambling to comply. Pay is also lower than other companies that provide similar services and benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

Pay people appropriately. I am barely out of the low-income bracket for my state and I have a graduate degree. Behavior Interventionists are inadequately paid as well and receive no benefits beyond basic state requirements. Some kind of pay security for our Behavior Interventionists would go a long way in preventing high turn over rates.

8. "Collaboration and Patience is Key"

Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist
    Current Employee - Behavior Interventionist

I have been working at ACES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The initial training was adequate and allowed a person getting into this field to become confident in ABA principles.
    I have been fortunate to work in the clinic, as it allots the greatest opportunity for collaboration (a key value of the company). Being able to witness other BI's being able to model from their strengths helps greatly to accelerate the learning curve. I'm excited that our office had been continually expanding!

Cons

The pay for BI's is not as competitive as it states in its job description. However, I have heard experiences from employees who have left and gone in search of more money (ex: Easter Seals) and have been left unsatisfied with the quality of care for the clients.

Advice to Management

ACES is a large company and needs to expand the HR department. I often exercise more patience waiting for their responses than I need with my clients.
    Also, colored printer ink is important for the client's materials. If it takes 3x as long designing a token board with construction paper and crayons, is it actually cost effective?

9. "Better than most SoCal in-home companies"

Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Behavior Interventionist in City of Industry, CA

I worked at ACES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Clients (Get attached. They're great :D)
    -Technology (Uses data-tracking program Catalyst on an iPad, so you're not fumbling through papers as you're taking data)
    -Experience/training (Paid RBT training and BCBA supervisors will debrief you on clients and should also be present for initial appointments to assist. You also have a full paid day of training where you go over typical and unique in-home scenarios and shadow two different seasoned BI's during their sessions)

Cons

-Hours
    -Driving
    (These two are common for any ABA agency. Some of your clients may live far away with dilapidated home conditions and in sketchy neighborhoods; be prepared for that in case you have those assignments. And there's no guarantee of full-time hours so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for that; however, if you just need 5-20 extra hours per week, this place is perfect!)
    -Changes (comes with nonprofit territory really; supervisors, management, staff, clients are always changing)

Advice to Management

Good work but try to maintain some consistency

Jul 18, 2017

Thank you much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the positive outlook and the honesty with the nature of your job within the community and the ABA field. Here at ACES, a... More

10. "It's alright..."

I worked at ACES part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, iPad to collect data

Cons

No benefits, lower pay, no pay if client cancels