ACL Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Laurie Schultz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • ACL offers generous benefits and good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• R&D culture is agile, innovative and fun (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review is a useless exercise that is done to help no one (in 4 reviews)

• Rapidly expanding in a new market has it's share of growing pains in R&D as well as other departments (in 4 reviews)

1. "QA Engineer"

I worked at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Good company culture. Everyone can bring their own idea. Company is transparent. It's easy to get the full picture of the projects. Good benefits.

Cons

Technology is not cutting edge. Cares too much marketing staff and misses technical direction. Most of QA's work are manual.

"High Demands, Low Resources, and a Sr. Mgmt Boys Club"

Pros

- Vancouver is a nice place to live
    - Depending on where your career is focused it’s a good place to START your career. Add some technology to your resume
    - Easy path to success, suck up to the Sr. Management Team, never question or disagree with the President – even if you have more experience and knowledge, and demonstrate enthusiasm by writing positive reviews for Glassdoor so that company can replace all the people fired and who have left.

Cons

- A SOFTWARE company building software who has no experience using and very few employees with the experience to really understand how to apply the technology – even the consultants have no experience outside of ACL leveraging the technology in the real world

- Virtually NO support or investment in employees learning or growth – demands placed on them leaves no time for development. I LOST skills at ACL and really didn’t gain anything new.

- Customers are promised an easy technology to use with some training and support from ACL’s services teams – however most customers learn that the investment to learn how to use the technology is extensive beyond the software. The software is NOT easily learned and most customers eventually end up with shelf ware.

- The new GRC software – subscription based – is the focus of the organization – is a new flashy product that is intended to generate revenue that the old Data Analytics software has been unable to do.

- The organization is in constant flux with a tremendous amount of turnover to the point that departures are no longer announced - no one knows who’s left or leaving.

- KEY knowledgeable people are leaving/have left – the organization is full of new people who have been hired as part of the Sr. Management ‘boys’ club. The female President only seems to hire males – of course HR is represented by a woman. Middle management is very similar.

- The President yells “authenticity” yet there are very few people in the organization that have true respect for her or her team. They pretend to include staff in decisions but it’s a distraction tactic, the decisions are already made – the discussions are to fake involving the employees

- Middle Management spends almost all of their time managing upward, keeping the President happy to keep their jobs. This leave a huge gap in managing the people – who have little experience.

Advice to Management

Remember the employees make the organization succeed. Top down pressure with unreasonable expectations – ruling with a stick. Carrots work much better – and I don’t mean a quarterly meeting with booze and food. Provide career opportunities, invest in your people, you can’t help them grow if they are being pushed to full capacity, there is no time for further learning or growth.

"ACL, The “Fox News” of Vancouver’s Tech Scene. Lots of bluster, little substance.and virtually no facts."

I have been working at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Given that the current CEO has failed in every major aspect of her mandate, particularly in terms of revenue growth, she'll probably be out the door soon...or at least should be after 4 years of abject failure.

Cons

ACL has become a company sorely deficient in effective leadership or direction. Given the revolving door nature of membership, Its current executive leadership team is almost entirely concerned with keeping their jobs by placating the CEO with whatever gutless behavior is required to meet the CEO’s misguided and self serving demands. (positive Glassdoor reviews are just one minor example). ACL leadership is now totally devoid of any semblance of trust or integrity.

Given the massive turnover for the past 4 years, managers are focused entirely on self preservation and ensuring they don't end up on the "disposable" pile. It’s really a tragedy that so many people who have committed tirelessly to the success of ACL over the years have paid the price for leadership ineptitude.

Apparently ACL was at one time a company that encouraged the continued development of a supportive, collaborative, team environment. That's no longer the case. It's now an environment of desperate, self serving, self promoting senior leadership and spineless, deceptive and untrustworthy management that has neither the skill nor the market knowledge to take this company anywhere even remotely close to what would be considered a successful outcome of the last 4 years of failure. Even more tragic are those of us left trying to do the right thing and being tarred with the same brush of incompetence meant for those driving this company into the ground.

Another unfortunate decline of what was at one time a shining but little known light on the Vancouver tech scene.

Advice to Management

If you really want to understand what's gone wrong for the past 4 years, take a look in the mirror. It's not the scapegoats you've fired or the employees you're blaming today, it's your incompetence as leaders, as managers and as human beings.

ACL Services Response

Mar 17, 2016 – Chief Product Officer

Well thank you for your thoughts certainly... and my goodness, from your review, I see that those of us in management roles certainly haven't served you well. For that, I for one most certainly... More

4. "The best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Product Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- autonomy
    - supportive culture
    - great senior leadership
    - strong vision
    - stronger mission
    - pay/benefits/bonuses/vacation/rrsp match are all great.
    - I can talk about my job with pride

Cons

- sometimes siloed teams.
    - I really don't have anything else to call a con here.
    - nothing else really.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You've grown this company by leaps and bounds in a responsible manner and I feel set up to succeed every day. Well done!

5. "Amazing work environment"

I worked at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Great work environment where roadblocks are escalated quickly. Innovation and challenging the status quo is rewarded.

Cons

Don't pay enough for the amount of work you do.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and pay extra attention to new hires.

6. "FAKE REVIEWS - FAKE PEOPLE"

Former Employee - Business Development in All (Spain)
    Former Employee - Business Development in All (Spain)

I worked at ACL Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice Office
    - Good Coffee

Cons

following on the post of another employee.

"
    I have been working at ACL Services full-time (More than 3 years)
    Pros
    Lots of fun activities, big office
    Cons
    Can't even keep track of the number of bad days I've had at ACL.This review is not for the company at a whole, but for a specific department(R&D). R&D culture is extremely micro-management oriented. The micromanagement is absolutely stifling: Your boss will ask you to do something and then ask you again every day if it has been done yet. He will see your PR and will make word-for-word comments and suggestions over and over again.Also many inexperience mid level managers.
    Advice to Management
    Good luck."

I wasn't going to post anything but if i can help at least one person that will be enough.
     I am not talking about the response which you get every time if you question anything "We are International Team of the Year and BC Tech Team of the Year. We also have one of the highest employee net promoter scores in the company. Visibility does matter to us, though, and we work as collaborative teams with regular stand-ups and demos. Personally, I have always thrived in our type of environment though I recognize that our open/ness and results focus may not be ideally suited to everyone"

If you dont follow them like a robot then you get this "I recognize that our openness and results focus may not be ideally suited to everyone" and they fire you.

- Seen many people been fired.
    - Back Stabbing is a daily routine! (from managers and normal employees) !

- I want to share real situations I had. I will share a little story. Someone got hired as a manager. 1 week later a bunch of other managers were talking how bad this guy was, in a nasty, nasty way.
    -I had many clients calling requiring help from other teams and managers ( a lot of lazy attitude ) leave client waiting for days.
    - Team work doesn't exist (only individual targets)
    - I would meet people in this company that I thought it was creative/intelligent and with great attitude and once I heard what others had to say about him/her the response was. I am not sure how long he/she will be with us because he/she doesn’t fit in. "I recognize that our openness and results focus may not be ideally suited to everyone"".

-Many potential customers told me on the phone they wouldn't go with ACL because people were always changing and they didnt know if they could trust ACL therefore chose to go to a competitor.
    - Call centre style (not customer focused).
    -High Ego (not much talent) Seen many people with really high ego and arrogance, that can’t even complete a simple sale.
    -Quarterly theatre everyone is invited!
    (quarter training) Every quarter you will receive a "training" which is a theatre to understand and analyse who is following like a robot and who is not. Not big deal just do what they want to hear and you are fine. but waste of time. you are not learning anything. People that have been with the company for 5+years hate this and they say themselves that it is just a big theatre and not really training. but obviously they want to keep their job so they pretend that yes, it’s great!
    -no one has the balls to say what they think, almost everyone is afraid of getting fired.
    -If you leave them. They will call you crazy between themselves and say that they want to hire someone completely different.
    - If you join Expect :

-a lot of fake “ hello`s and welcomes”
    -after 1st week people are probably talking about you ( your choice if its good or bad – follow like a robot then it may be good. Be creative and have a unique view on things and then it will def be bad!)
    - A lot of time wasted with repeating the same ideas that doesn’t work because to change it may cause someone else to work a little hard.
    -No help!
    - People won’t really talk to you unless you are not performing
    -And remember back stabbing (can’t trust anyone in here) people may agree with you and then disagree on the same thing when they are in front of others. It happens all the time.

Personally, I don’t believe the money is worth at all as it has actually affected my health after starting at ACL. You can make way more money elsewhere and have the most important thing which is happiness.

To conclude. I would like to also share that I did also meet a couple of very nice people at ACL and the review above doesn’t apply to everyone ( these people understand everything that goes on but as they are in the management position they play the game ).

This is the worse company i worked for.

Advice to Management

Stop Ruining peoples lives! and when i say this i mean , look at some of your employees there are actually a lot of people unhappy , crying and feeling unwell under your company!

"Life work balance is good"

I have been working at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Everything they provide is fair: vacation, insurance, rrsp match and of course pay is fair too
    R&D team has great culture
    Life work balance can be achieved easily
    PPL here are super nice and some of them are very talented

Cons

Not much career growing opportunities.
    Some positions are like dead end, boring and no hope to grow
    However, they are aware of it and working on it. will see

ACL Services Response

May 4, 2017 – CTO

We conduct a regular employee survey and career growth in R&D was highlighted as an area of opportunity. I agree and as the above post mentioned it is something we are actively working on with new... More

"Amazing place"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture Great paying Growing company

Cons

I do not have any cons

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Awesome value and culture
    - Very flexible/work from home
    - Unlimited sick days
    - Great work life balance

Cons

- Benefits
    - Quite siloed
    - High expectations

"Support Analyst"

Pros

Great management team, lots of opportunities, growing company, good policies

Cons

Wasn't right fit for me.