ACTS Retirement-Life Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
ACTS Retirement-Life Communities CEO J. Mark Vanderbeck
J. Mark Vanderbeck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company , good benefits, good team work, love the staff (in 6 reviews)

• this company is a great company to work for they offer great bennefits and they are always there to help out (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • loving kindness" is a slogan and nothing more (in 7 reviews)

• Corporate management all about promoting itself and handing out bags of money to upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time

Pros

Positive and understanding culture. Great co-workers!

Cons

It's difficult to visit all the communities

2. "Company needs missiin training"

I worked at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time

Pros

Cant really think of any.. I'm trying though

Cons

Facility and corporate staff exhibited many unloving kindness behaviors and I was a stellar performer who loved the residents

Advice to Management

Need corporate culture - mission training. Desperately. Tell new CEO in Philadelphia

3. "Underappreciated and Ignored"

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Works well with your hours and availability (mostly).*
    -401k options for employees over 21 regardless of part time or full time status.

*(See 1st Con)

Cons

-Due to high turnover and constantly being short-staffed, days off are rarely granted more than the required minimum.

-Mistrust from management creates tension between employees (e.g. requiring a doctor's note for when calling out sick for all kitchen staff, accusations of kitchen staff stealing silver as well as food, etc.).
              --Due to the mistreatment of employees, employee moral is constantly low as nearly every employee "wishes they were anywhere but here."

-Management is overreaching and unresponsive to any and all employee grievances.

-Pay is abysmal. Wages are not competitive with other food service industries (food prep and line cooks make marginally more than servers). Unless of course you're in upper management, where there seems to be no shortage of raises and bonuses.
              --On that note, employees, regardless of skill or competency are paid the same. In some situations, even the most helpless employees with nary a couple of brain cells to rub together make nearly twice as much as veteran staff.

-High employee turnover rate. With my short time working here, I have seen exactly 15 people quit, unofficially and informally casting blame upon management for their inability to provide competitive wages. I have seen 2 managers quit due to high expectations from corporate with very little incentive.

Advice to Management

Your company seems to value "Christian values" and believe that anyone and everyone should feel welcome. The sad fact is that you do not practice what you preach. The unreasonable expectations of management, bottom-dollar pay, and the suspicious lack of ethnic diversity among the residents raises many questions as to if this "non-profit" organization really follows the code of ethics that they claim to follow. Perhaps this is just unique to my location, but I doubt that. My advice to management would be to reevaluate your budget (including your own salaries) and perhaps raise the pay of lower level employees. Instead of these hamfisted attempts at showing appreciation towards staff (seriously, 2 weeks of "employee appreciation" of which most staff are too busy to participate in?) perhaps you should try raising our wages more than a few cents a year. I know you can afford it. Maybe then there will be less turnover and more positive attitudes.

"Plantation Estates does not live up to our motto."

Current Employee - Culinary in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Culinary in Matthews, NC

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and pto are better than most companies. The physical grounds are very beautiful and looks like a nice park.

Cons

Culinary directors and management are lacking the experience and skills needed to lead their teams. The problems with our department stem from the top and work their way down. Employees are not held accountable for any of their actions; the only people that are disciplined are ones who speak up, retaliated against to intimidate them to be silent.

There are rampant unfair pay practices where the best employees make the same or less than the worst employees. If you apply and show up then they hire you... how do you expect good employees when nobody is vetted. Nobody works as a team and when you suggest positive changes with management they single you out to everyone saying that you are complaining about everyone. My primary goal is to serve our residents and if that means helping out my fellow coworkers with something that I wasnt assigned, I will... I wish others would step up and work together. Management needs to do their jobs and manage.

There is also a lot of unprofessional behavior. For example it is common for managers and employees to make fun of residents together. Where is the loving kindness in this? What happened to honor thy elders?

HR needs to investigate, Executives need to hold managers accountable, and they needs to be checks and balances... it is currently a corrupt dictatorship.

Advice to Management

Do your job and earn those salaries. If you want our facility you succeed, make the tough calls and pull the weeds so the garden can flourish.

"Employees are just a number"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time

Pros

Great health benefits, you get to interact with the wonderful seniors that live in the community and some employees are really nice to work with.

Cons

Unfortunately the company is not what it used to be years ago. Salaries are very low so a lot of unqualified people get hired for the wrong positions and those who have qualifications have started to leave the company because they are underpaid and overworked. Employees became just a number. If you are a hard worker and motivated, this is not the place for you. They don't promote unless you do your time (many years).
    "Loving kindness" does not apply to employees, because they are all just a number.
    There's some crazy people employed at those communities, watch your back.

Advice to Management

Go back and see what made this company so great many years ago. What did the prior CEO and VPs do right to earn that reputation and what have you done wrong to loose it.

"Instead of Loving kindness: It should be Lie and lie some more!"

Former Employee - Reimbursement in West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Reimbursement in West Point, PA

I worked at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate flextime and healthcare benefits are helpful. And employees can be kinda nice at times. PTO is ok . Time off request are easy

Cons

I worked for ACTs Corporate office for over four years. My first impression was not good and I should have ran when my gut told me to. Leadership is dishonest, mean and childish. I was part of the leadership team and personally heard and read leadership referring to employees by horrible nicknames such as ; bipolar girl, pathetic boy, crazy as the day is long (insert employee name). Leadership hunts the weak and make that employee their scapegoat. The corporate office is a place filled with bad intentions, selfish ,self centered,low class executive team. No place for employees to voice harassment and if the employees did Voice harassment the retaliation started. Lies and more lies .

Advice to Management

Advise to Board of directors get outside consultants. The current team will ruin the reason why the company was founded. For our seniors!

"Retaliation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good Benefits,and generous Residents

Cons

Ive worked here for quite some time and i have witnessed workers being forced out of their jobs due to supervisors. Many times if a supervisor did not like someone they would conjour up lies,have others to write statements and have that person fired. Corperate should follow up with former employees in order to counteract the high turn over. Recently there was a survey, due to fear of retaliation many employees lied and did not rate accordingly. We have had many good workers fired because of secret retaliations and this needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Department heads need training on how to interact and communicate with staff

"Christian values,,,, Really?"

Current Employee - Environmental Services in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Environmental Services in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents really make you feel welcomed and like family

Cons

I worked for this company for 2 years and i have never in all my years of employment had to endure this much unprofessionalism. The supervisors are the worst! If there is ever an issue that entails employee conflict, the one who reports it first is usually the one who gets the resolution, whether they are right or not. Discipline is done through retaliation. Adultery is a normal thing in this place and is welcomed. Supervisors sleep with workers and if you dont agree with the immorality they will do anything to get you fired! Pure evil and wickedness dwell in this place. They love to throw policies to inflict fear, but if you take a look at the workers you will find that there is a double standard. Hygiene should be a focal point but this company will allow you to come as you are, even if that means hair is not groomed(lent and all), and dirty cloths.The motto is "we dont care, just get to work"!There is a high turnover here, not because people dont want to work. Its because the people they work with and work for create a unworkable, and uncomfortable environment.

Advice to Management

Instead of sitting behind a desk, get out and truly supervise your employees. Truly earn the titles that your residents pay you for, and pour more into the employees that you have, Give them a kind word from time to time instead of making them always feel like the help! Do not continue to be manipulative, wicked and vengeful.

9. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Great company , good benefits, good team work, love the staff. Beautiful environment.

Cons

Location to far for me right now.

Advice to Management

More staff meetings to hear everyone concerns.

10. "organization that lost it's way"

Current Employee - Department Manager At Community in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Department Manager At Community in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ACTS Retirement-Life Communities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

best christmas party ever......hookers AND blow !

Cons

"loving kindness" is a slogan and nothing more. Corporate management all about promoting itself and handing out bags of money to upper management. How many directors and vice presidents does a company need?

Advice to Management

trim the fat at the top by at least 70%

get back to your roots

gave the listed CEO a thumbs up (he's dead)