ADM Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "For those who apply themselves, ADM is a rare find"

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As others have said:
    Flexible schedule
    Good benefits
    Reasonably good compensation (higher than average raises typical)
    Variety of tasks (potentially)
    Opportunity to create your own career path that aligns with your interests (potentially)

I've worked for a range of companies both large and small, and ADM has been my best career experience thus far. The work/life balance is generally excellent, and the opportunity to set my schedule as needed has been a huge benefit.

The company generally has a low-stress working environment and colleagues are friendly and willing to provide support if you reach out to them. If you are productive and professional you will be given a substantial amount of responsibility fairly quickly, which is not common to many other places in my experience.

ADM does not have a large corporate feel and you won't be treated like a cog in a machine. Many analysts and evaluation researchers eventually take on project management responsibilities, and most roles incorporate a good mix of quantitative and qualitative work.

Cons

Many decisions (such as work schedule, amount of flexibility, opportunity to work on different kinds of projects) are handled on a case-by-case basis by individual supervisors, so your experience may vary significantly depending on who you're reporting to. This can be a good thing, as most supervisors seem willing to work with the needs and preferences of staff, but it's listed as a con because of the uncertainty it introduces for prospective hires.

The company culture is not as collaborative or social as some would like; this isn't the sort of place with "Margarita Fridays" or company-wide brainstorming sessions, at least not regularly. Although staff is friendly, introverts may find themselves feeling isolated as it takes some effort to build channels of communication with colleagues here.

2. "Good compensation"

I worked at ADM Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, relaxed environment, good compensation and benefits, no draconian billable hours policies or micromanagement.

Cons

Not a lot of mentorship and direction, you need to make those for yourself, a bit sink or swim for mid-level employees.

3. "Good for a while"

Pros

Exceptional group of directors and great peers to work with. Interesting work and valuable experience.

Cons

Compensation is more competitive elsewhere

4. "Fast growing company working to better employee experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at ADM Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced work, opportunities to do many different types of analyses, decent pay, good benefits, fairly flexible schedule for proven employees. For self-sufficient employees with an eye for details the sky is the limit for professional growth with ADM. As the company is growing through many new contracts there are tons of opportunities to develop project management skills, analysis/engineering skills, and work with big data. The datasets ADM analyses are as big as those at Microsoft, Google, and Amazon. Work at ADM is directly benefiting the environment and a cleaner world.

Cons

Employees that require constant direction, who cannot self-check their work, or are very introverted will have a hard time excelling in ADMs environment. Pay at ADM is good but not on par with similar jobs at tech firms. Occasionally the best employees have to bailout other employees which can result in long hours.

5. "Engaging work and excellent benefits"

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time

Pros

I've never worked with such a talented and extraordinary group of folks. The work itself is challenging but rewarding. You don't get a free pass, most people that work at ADM work hard but they love what they do and you can see it in the quality of the work.

Cons

There are different functional groups in the company; they don't cross-collaborate often. It is as if there are many different companies under one roof.

Advice to Management

Continue experimenting to find a corporate/team structure that works to support junior and mid-level employees.

6. "intern-hourly"

Pros

Fun and interesting place to work
    Exciting Business to be a part in, I enjoyed my time with them much.

Cons

It can be monotonous work and is extremely repetitive.
    Work can become dull and boring quite easily. Office personal also

Advice to Management

Try and talk more to employees. Make work more interesting for people. Have more things to do.

"pffft"

Current Employee - Program Analyst
    Current Employee - Program Analyst

Pros

Flexibility (depending on your manager), cool and smart people

Cons

it's consulting! So your client tells you to jump and you say how high. Total lack of process or structure for new and ongoing projects. Lack of resources for current projects.

Advice to Management

Any structure at all would be good. You guys act like it's your first project every time we get a new one. You've been in business 30 years!

8. "Great company- not for everyone!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable hours
    Great management
    Quiet environment
    Never office drama

After reading some of the reviews from former employees, there needs to be an update for some of the issues. The owner of the company is not a tyrant (or at least anymore). He is barely in our office. There is no sexism in the office, however, due to the nature of the industry, majority of employees are male. All of the PMs are extremely fair and easy to talk to if an issue ever were to arise. Great company to gain experience. Yes, there usually isn't formal training, but what better way to learn then to jump right in?

Cons

If you're the type of person that thrives off of social interaction and office politics, this isn't the right place for you. If you don't like solidarity, you shouldn't work here. During a usual work day, most people are in their office working away. It's very very quiet.

Advice to Management

More vacation time and more opportunity for raises and bonuses. Happy employees can result in better office morale and productivity.

"It is what you make of it."

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement: My experience at ADM has been that being proactive and self-directed is generally rewarded. This has been the case for myself and others with a similar mindset. If you're engaged in the work and seeking new tasks, managers are glad to give it. This has been my only job since finishing grad school in '08, and in my time here the company has grown 5x over. That growth has provided a lot of opportunities for myself and others to advance relatively early in their career.

Compensation: Raises are above average (10% raises are fairly typical, 15% raises not uncommon). Medical benefits are good (Kaiser & flex account, very low co-pays). 401K match was recently added.

Office environment: The scheduling allows for a fair amount of flexibility. There is a two-month peak season where overtime is expected but for the most part the work is 40 hours a week. People's start-times vary, and the general expectation is that if you can keep yourself on-task, you can determine the timing of your workday almost however you like. The office environment is casual, and I've gotten to work with some wonderful, very intelligent colleagues. The work has kept me engaged because I get to keep learning about a range of topics I wouldn't study otherwise.

I've done well here and I feel I've been rewarded for it. I know for a fact I've advanced much faster here than I would have at one of our larger competitors. There is a very loose hierarchy, if you want to advance, or change the way something is done, management's receptive and will give you the chance to go for it.

Cons

There is a lack of formal training for a lot of the entry level staff. The "training" has long been such that staff are thrown in and expected to be immediately productive and learn by doing. I managed under those circumstances, but I would have found some level of formal training helpful.

The company's much larger than it used to be and needs to be more adaptable to the range of personalities and temperaments of potential hires, rather than just having one approach that works for one type of person. This has improved significantly in the last year or so, but it still needs work.

Vacation amount is what I'd consider below-average (two weeks vacation, one week sick leave, 8 holidays).

"My experience here allowed me to develop in ways I never thought I could."

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation/Rewards: I appreciate that performance is rewarded at ADM. Coming from a background of getting predictable raises that had nothing to do with performance, at first I was wary of coming into the world of consulting, which is less secure. I have performed well at ADM, and have been well-rewarded. I believe that, generally speaking, good performance is recognized at this company. Until fairly recently, the company didn’t communicate about benefits and policies very well. There has been a definite improvement in communication during the last year.

Not Rigid Structure: I like that, for the most part, there is no rigid hierarchical structure that holds people back. As the company has grown, I’ve seen plenty of talented people take leadership roles in all areas. If someone is very bold, proactive, and performs, anything is possible and obtainable. It’s so different from my previous professional experience, in a good way. I also appreciate that there is little in the way of office politics or gossip – mainly there are friendly people with a good attitude toward life, work included.

Work/Life Balance: Most salaried people tend to average about 40 hours of work a week. Some people come in at different times and have pretty flexible schedules.

Cons

Communication/Task Assignment: ADM still maintains some practices that are more appropriate for a very small-sized firm. When I started at the company, it had the vibe of a family business and everything was very ad hoc. That has changed a lot; still, the company needs to be more clear and efficient about internal practices and project work.

It’s Not for Everyone: Some people at ADM have experienced the company as lacking training and professional development opportunities. Personally, I struggled in training and learned through practice (just jumping in doing work) – this took a lot longer than if I had a mentor spending more time with me. I think there’s been a lot of improvement since then. Still, I don’t think this company is suited to people who definitely want a traditional corporate environment or very structured training in all aspects of job responsibilities. Generally, people here learn (or don’t) through doing actual work and taking the initiative to learn from coworkers. The company should do a better job in making all this clear to people coming in for interviews.