ADP Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Way too many meetings during the day that the evenings is the only time to actually do your work so no work/life balance (in 197 reviews)

• Politics is way too high, There is no work life balance (in 65 reviews)

1. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, great development opportunities, great industry. I had a sales role that developed into a leadership role. One of the best opportunities I've had.

Cons

Slow to change. Each division is a silo. Salesforce strategy is weak.

Advice to Management

Your doing a great job. Let's continue to work at getting better.

Oct 23, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Glassdoor.

"Client Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Original hiring process was fast, faster than any corporate job I've ever applied to. I went through multiple interviews and received an offer within days of my final interview. Other companies I've had to sometimes wait months just for a rejection notice. ADP’s hiring speed and process is fantastic, and I felt very important to them as a potential future employee.

- Associates in my department are friendly, and the atmosphere with management is great too. They have an open-door policy so I don't feel nervous asking questions to my manager, let alone my manager's manager. Many of them also make an effort to wish everyone in the department “Good morning” in person. Overall, the company gives off a family vibe and less of a hierarchical one, which I appreciate.

- Adding to my previous point, the company promotes an environment of inclusion and diversity. There are multiple support groups including for LGBT, veterans, women's inclusion, etc. It's great to see groups like these in place, and it gives associates the notion that they don't have to leave parts of their personal self at home.

- The Elk Grove building has multiple amenities: Cafeteria, Fitness Center, and Wellness Center. Cafeteria food is pretty good, and the company ADP works with has a selection of quality options. You can use the Wellness Center to complete your biometric screening, flu shots, and daily medical concerns.

- Benefits, 401k, Stock Purchase Plan available for employees depending on part or full time employment. Enrollment is easy and simple thanks to the website's newly designed layouts.

- Surveys. ADP encourages not just their clients but also their employees to take them, ranging from company changes to training to manager reviews. I think it's important when a company wants to hear from its employees so often.

- Department has recently implemented a new Client Service model where employees are assigned to clients as a point-of-contact within ADP. I believe long-term this will increase client engagement and service over employees answering phone calls from random clients.

Cons

- Department is busy and at times stressful. It's hard having a desire to participate in other ADP opportunities (social media, support groups, networking events) when workloads are overwhelming. There are multiples times I feel deterred from participating because I have so much client work or I'm mentally exhausted.

- Knowledge training is long, boring, and ultimately ineffective. Out of my 14 weeks of initial training, I got 3 or 4 weeks worth, and it was mostly from shadowing other employees. It's not to say the training isn't informative, but it's mostly lectures, tests, and webcasts, and it's very difficult staying engaged for hours at a time.

As a result of similar feedback from other employees, training is starting to be condensed, but it proves to be even more ineffective. For example, what was once 6 weeks of knowledge training is now squeezed into 2 weeks. Instead of lectures and hands-on learning, 3/4 of it is now watching webcasts. Add to that most of the material presented was not even on the final test. If you compare this training to the yearly corporate policy training (which is exceptionally well-made, engaging, and fun), this feels rushed, lazy, and uncaring.

- Company changes and implementations take a while. While ADP has been promoting quality over metrics for months, some current work models still do not follow the same idea. For example, job compensation is still rewarded more on job knowledge over performance.

- Blackout dates are mid-November through January because they are the busiest times for clients to call in. Again, not a big issue for me because I understand the reasons why, but it can still be a bummer when overtime is considered a necessity during the holiday season.

- Only 1 day of volunteer paid time off. I love to know I am making a difference, not just processing someone's payroll but also on a personal level. They are many opportunities offered, but due to only 1 day I feel I have to carefully choose which ones I will use it on.

While there is progress and transitions being made at ADP, there is plenty of room to continue improving its corporate environment.

Sep 25, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for your clear, concise, and thorough feedback about your time with ADP. We will share your insights with our HR teams and if you have any additional feedback you wish to share, please... More

3. "Weak leadership in middle manager positions."

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant I in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant I in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great here! The culture is easy going, and there is no micromanagement happening. The career development is the best I’ve ever experienced. They really encourage you to grow and develop into new roles.

Cons

I was hired based on exaggerated projections of new business by leadership. A simpleton could have made an educated guess that business in my area was going to dip significantly based on the market situation and prior year customer satisfaction. Due to this huge dip, I was let go. Training was very shady and ambiguous at start, improved as time went on. They focus on positives which is good but you never get better without acknowledging where you struggle and address it.

Advice to Management

Understand your markets. Focus on providing VALUE to customers and helping them understand how to use the software you sell. Despite a great set of company values, they are no more than marketing material to customers who don’t know better if you don’t live those values every day.

Oct 16, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the insightful review and for adding in specifics that are helpful for us to improve our processes.

4. "Job"

Former Employee - Intern in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at ADP (More than a year)

Pros

Great Managers and opportunity to meet employees in different divisions.

Cons

Same things with all large corporations

Advice to Management

none

Sep 18, 2017 – Project Specialist

Good stuff - thanks for the review.

5. "Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great team to work with, everyone worked together for the common good of providing exceptional customer technical support.

Cons

THIS supervisor was always busy with duties outside of our department, didn't provide us any support. Her philosophy of management was " unless I call you into my office, everything is ok" - She provided no other feedback, no inspiration, no good job, or "atta-boys". Other departments were constantly given feedback & positive reinforcements.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the support & feedback to your teams.

Sep 5, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with ADP. We will share this review with our HR leaders.

6. "Associate District Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great commission structure
    plenty of room to grow

Cons

your career can heavily depend on your manager
    lack of support early on
    favoritism is obvious

Aug 27, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review ADP.

7. "Great Internship Experience!"

Current Intern - Client Services Intern in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Current Intern - Client Services Intern in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at ADP as an intern

Pros

My internship experience was very much tailored to me. My managers and fellow associates were committed to my growth - even if that meant connecting me with people and projects outside of my assigned department.

Cons

Not a con of ADP but I wish the interns outside of the corporate office had more chances to meet with senior leadership versus simply skyping in.

8. "Great culture, people, and leadership!"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

ADP prides themselves on being an employer of choice and does their best to make sure every employee feels that way. For the most part it is an amazing and inclusive environment to work. I really miss the leadership and ADP family type environment.

Cons

Workloads aren't always manageable.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating streamlined processes, to build a more efficient business. Get your people the training they need to create a proactive service environment instead of being reactive. Clients and employees will have a better experience.

Jul 3, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the comprehensive review. #hellowork

9. "District Manager"

Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, room for growth

Cons

Depends on your territory how well you do

Advice to Management

Nothing

Jun 26, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thanks for the review.

"It's challenging and no two days are the same"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's challenging and no two days are the same thing over and over so it's very stable here at adp

Cons

I'm not sure that I can tell you yet because I don't have this so I'm sorry I can't tell you much except not all units off or work from home

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the employees in the loop

May 8, 2017 – Project Specialist

Thank you for the account of your time with ADP.

Showing 138 of 5,957 reviews